Government

More News | | | Editor

Animal control seeks to enter locked cars to free endangered pets

Augusta Animal Control is seeking authorization to enter locked vehicles when a trapped animal’s life is in danger.

It’s an issue the department encounters about once a month when responding to animal calls, said Officer Ben Reyes, who will present information on the matter at today’s Augusta Public Services meeting.

Reyes said last month he found two puppies locked in a hot car in Augusta Mall’s parking lot. The owners showed up in time and were cited for cruelty, but Reyes said sometimes Animal Control can’t get a sheriff’s deputy to open the vehicle soon enough.

The Augusta Commission has a called noon legal meeting Monday before five committee meetings.

Other items on committee agendas include:

• Reactivating a Citizens Advisory Board for the Housing and Community Development Department

• An update on progress toward construction of a 13.5-acre lake beside Regency Mall using $3.5 million in sales tax funds

noway
noway 07/08/12 - 05:26 pm
Wow, building a 13.5 acre

Wow, building a 13.5 acre lake behind Regency Mall....what a great idea! We've been in a drought for how many years now? Using taxpayer money to build a LAKE? You have got to be kidding me! What a waste of money. How about using taxpayer money for the sheriff's department (public safety)? At least something to benefit the citizens!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/09/12 - 12:31 am
Do the Right Thing

Look, sometimes you just have to do the right thing. Just break the window and get the pets out and stop worrying about the law.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/09/12 - 06:38 am
Why worry

This is peanuts compared to the waste in downtown....you wanta get mad --get mad over the big bucks......South Augusta gets very little in sales tax funds...

Break the dang window & get pets-younguns out of the hot car.....

CABoatright
CABoatright 07/09/12 - 07:12 am
It's about time!!

I'm glad some action may FINALLY be taken against these idiots that leave their pets panting & suffering in hot cars!! I say break the window out, take the animal(s) & lock that so-called human in the hot car for a while.

Jeepster2001
Jeepster2001 07/09/12 - 08:14 am
Like Nike Said

"Just Do It". If they complain about their broken window, tell them to pound sand... Then also have gonads enough to give them a citation.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 07/09/12 - 10:35 am
Pickin-and-choosing what to write about.

What about the other IMPORTANT items to be discussed today, like the way South Augusta residents are going to get the shaft on the new solid waste contract?

I say "South Augusta residents" because they have to pay it as a FEE added to their tax bill, while the old city folks have it included in their tax and we know that any TAX increase is out of the question.

And I say "the shaft" because the household waste collections are going to be cut in half, but the fee looks like it is going to increase from $302 to $320 a year which is a 6% increase in price.

David Parker
David Parker 07/09/12 - 09:35 am
I lived up in Clayton, Ga for

I lived up in Clayton, Ga for a summer in mid 1990's. There was an incident where a juvenile stole my pick-up truck from a campground and my dog (Otis) jumped in the bed of it as the perp sped off. That dog just loved to ride in the back on the mountain roads and back-country. Well, Clayton's finest caught up with the kid at a motel and took him into custody. They noted in the report that the dog was in the cab of the truck. It was night so I guess the cops didn't put it together that the sun would rise again and the cab of that truck would reach a billion degrees. Even up there in Clayton, August is scorching.

So morning came and I checked in with the Sheriff and get the great news that the truck, dog, and kid were all found and alive. I ask are they bringing the dog and truck back to me or should I find a ride and come get them. He doesn't know exactly where "they" are.

Long story short. Nobody got Otis and he passed, probably by mid morning, as I said it gets hot up there too.

I'll break down a cement wall to keep a dog from suffering like that.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/09/12 - 09:40 am
As long as you all are

As long as you all are willing to pay for the broken window, go right ahead. No one loves dogs more than I do; but I would rather wait on the po-po to slim jim it.

creolechick
creolechick 07/09/12 - 10:27 am
To: itsanotherday1 - the

To: itsanotherday1 - the cruel car owner should have to pay for the broken window along with a fine for cruelty to animals. Please give the authorization to get these animals out of harm asap!!!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/09/12 - 10:39 am
Pay

I think CreoleChick has hit on what the proposed ordinance is all about —› money. The commission will write an ordinance giving indemnification to a good samaritan who breaks a window to relieve suffering of a human or an animal. The vehicle owner will have to pay for the repair.

After they break the window, they ought to go ahead and key the paint job and slash the tires for good measure.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/09/12 - 10:40 am
The "cruel" car owner may not

The "cruel" car owner may not be so cruel; they may have been absent minded. Nevertheless, we as a country have become a little too nutty (IMO) about animal rights. There are millions of domestic animals euthanized every year due to irresponsible pet owners, and that is where our outrage should lie; not on the occasional animal suffering due to owner oversight or carelessness.

David Parker
David Parker 07/09/12 - 11:08 am
choice between being

choice between being euthanized and boiling in your own juices?

hmmmmm......I just don't see them as the same there day1
....

it's all outrageous come to think of it.

myfairleslie
myfairleslie 07/09/12 - 11:28 am
I totally agree, David

I totally agree, David Parker. There is no comparison between the two...If my dog were to get locked in my car, I would gladly cover the cost of a broken window. The window can be replaced. My dog can't.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/09/12 - 02:08 pm
I did mis-speak there. I

I did mis-speak there. I didn't intend to imply that a dog suffering in an oven isn't outrageous. I would run into a burning house to save my little buddy; but I don't want to label another owner as being cruel. Stupid, yes, but they are not willfully putting the animal in a life threatening situation.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/09/12 - 02:14 pm
Footnote.

I leave the car running with the doors locked sometimes when I need to duck in to a store, or even into a restaurant when I can sit at the window to keep an eye on my truck.
Of course, that is not in an area where I fear someone stealing it. With a dog inside, it greatly lessens the chance some punk will try. If they do, so be it; at the my dog won't have heat stroke.

boodroe
1935
boodroe 07/09/12 - 03:18 pm
Here is a thought hot outside leave dog at home

Why do you need to take a pet to the store on a hot day if the dog isn't going to the vet or a petstore leave him alone he will be happier also will their be an ordinace for people who live their dog chained up outdorrs in the heat or any severe weather?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/09/12 - 06:45 pm
BECAUSE, my pet is also like

BECAUSE, my pet is also like my best friend and loves to GO. Sometimes, when we are out already for something else, I decide I need to run in to a convenience store or whatever to pick up something while I'm out.
What you are suggesting is just to not take your pet with you in hot weather.

HighSociety
HighSociety 07/09/12 - 11:51 pm
Most people who have their

Most people who have their dog with them in a car, are usually more responsible than real parents. I mean most take the pet because they want to where parents do it because they have to. If needed break the darn window. Waiting just a few minutes could be the difference between being a window licker and well you get it... Mine is already one.