Government

More News | | | Editor

Georgia Public Service Commission candidate's debts, education questioned

Friday, June 8, 2012 7:18 PM
Last updated 8:32 PM

ATLANTA — Pam Davidson, a challenger in the Republican primary for Georgia Public Service Commission, acknowledged Friday that statements about her finances and education were incorrect but calls them minor compared to the behavior of incumbent Stan Wise.

Pam Davidson, PSC candidate  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Pam Davidson, PSC candidate

“What I perceive these to be are very, very minor issues in comparison to Stan Wise and the very egregious acts that he commits against the ratepayers and the consumers in this state,” she said.

Davidson, an environmental lobbyist who captured 48 percent of the vote in an attempt to win another PSC seat four years ago, said she has filed an amended personal-disclosure statement with the state ethics commission that correctly reflects her negative net worth and the outstanding debts that triggered liens against her property. One of the liens is for unpaid taxes.

She said she originally did not include those debts, although they are in her name, because her divorce settlement orders her ex-husband to pay them.

After 10 years as a single parent and a massive recession, Davidson said her money problems are like those of other Georgians.

“I’m grateful for that struggle. The reason is it allows me to empathize with the people who are low income,” she said.

Her original disclosure form listed $1,500 in assets and $16,951 in liabilities with a positive net worth of $15,451 instead of noting that she actually owes more than she owns by that amount.

Asked if such a mistake and debt should raise questions about her ability to grapple with the billion-dollar financial issues considered by the Public Service Commission, Davidson replied that the post doesn’t require great wealth but rather a concern for ordinary people.

“If anything, (that makes me) being a person like most Georgians, that basically is trying to make ends meet,” she said.

Her education is another matter raised by Wise’s campaign. They note that a letter filed with the utility-oversight agency asking that she testify in 2003 listed her as holding a master of science in public administration from the University of San Francisco. The campaign was looking for comments to pin her down as supporting higher electricity rates as a subsidy for alternative fuels when they came across mention of her credentials.

“I think the point is to have fun with the fact that I went to the University of San Francisco,” she said.

Davidson said Friday the letter drafted by her client was wrong.

However, when she testified under oath before the commission on July 3 that year, she was asked if any corrections were required and she said there were none.

Wise said her testimony and lobbying of commissioners over the years on various issues wasn’t particularly effective.

“Maybe that’s why you have to lie about having a master’s degree,” he said.

Davidson has listed on other materials, such as newspaper campaign profiles, that she holds a bachelor’s degree from the university. However, school officials say their records show she attended but never graduated.

She said Friday that she had completed all of the coursework for the degree and attended the graduation ceremonies.

As she did in her 2008 campaign, Davidson is making personal integrity the central issue. In both, she vowed not to accept political contributions from employees of regulated utilities.

“When we talk about ethical fitness, I would have to say that I’m far more ethically fit than my opponent who is basically bought by the utilities,” she said.

Wise doesn’t deny that many of his contributions come from the employees of utilities and their law firms. They don’t give up their right to participate in elections by taking a certain job.

“What you’re talking about is a clear constitutional right of anybody to participate in the political process,” he said.

Such contributions don’t figure into his decision making, he said, because it would be impossible for him to reconcile contributions from employees of competing firms.

He also dismisses her charge that he has a conflict of interest with his son working as an attorney in Washington for the law firm that represents the Southern Company and Georgia Power. Wise said his son doesn’t handle those clients and has earned his job as a former intern at the White House and a federal energy agency.

“This is smoke and mirrors about somebody who’s not qualified to hold office. The public will recognize this as somebody who lied under oath and tried to come back and fill out another financial statement only when asked about it by the press,” he said.

griff6035
griff6035 06/08/12 - 09:14 pm
Public Service Commission

Looks like we need to vote Stan Wise out of Office and take a hard look at Pam Davidson.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/09/12 - 12:20 am
May the circle be unbroken,

May the circle be unbroken, bye n' bye Lord.

Circular firing squad that is. Looks like a pair of ethically challenged candidates vying for the job.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/09/12 - 06:16 am
She would fit right in with

She would fit right in with the candidates for Sheriff and Judge in Augusta. If she had a few affairs even more so.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/09/12 - 09:45 am
Net

Let's see. She has to fill out a campaign disclosure form and file it with Georgia's Secretary of State. On the form is a net worth statement. You have to provide your assets and your liabilities and then subtract the liabilities from assets to provide your net worth. She filled in $1,500 in assets, then filled in $16,951 in liabilities, then filled in $15,451 as net worth. Ah, she forgot that pesky negative sign.

Then we read from the story:

I don't care how wealthy Davidson is. What concerns me is that she was asked a question and she dodged it. She should have answered the question forthrightly, but so many politicians do not do that. They are embarrassed about something they tried to hide.

When politicians evade questions, they lose my support.

Reading between the lines in the story above, you can see that Davidson is a secret Marxist.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/09/12 - 10:13 am
LL, How can that be? She's a

LL, How can that be? She's a Republican!

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/09/12 - 11:07 am
Anyone from San Francisco,

Anyone from San Francisco, except Michael Savage, is a Marxist. What the heck is she doing in Georgia trying to make like she's a Republican? She's a zombie or something weird.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/09/12 - 11:19 am
"LL, How can that be? She's a

"LL, How can that be? She's a Republican!"

Good question. Normally the Republicans take out the trash while the Democrats hoard it.

Willow Bailey
20618
Willow Bailey 06/09/12 - 11:55 am

for IAD.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/09/12 - 02:40 pm
iad

I believe the great RA said that not LL.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/09/12 - 03:14 pm
Dodging Questions

She was asked a direct question about her financial disclosure form and another direct question about her false claim about having a masters degree. She ducked and dodged both questions.

She must have graduated from the Wright McLeod school for doublespeak.

raul
raul 06/09/12 - 04:10 pm
BUT! She is hot! LOL. Check

BUT! She is hot! LOL. Check out her website.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/09/12 - 04:50 pm
Raul, I just viewed her pics.

Raul, I just viewed her pics. I changed my mind. She is obviously a well qualified candidate for the PSC. The rest of y'all are just shallow. She has the right qualifications. It's especially obvious in that photo of her on the train trestle and that one foot up on the rail.

KSL
KSL 06/09/12 - 05:43 pm
Equally I hope she would

Equally I hope she would refuse campaign contributions from whacko environmentalist groups.

Wonder why a paid lobbyist has no more net worth than she has.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/09/12 - 05:32 pm
I'm with Raul.

I'm with Raul.

KSL
KSL 06/09/12 - 06:21 pm
Tax lien and she wants a

Tax lien and she wants a government paycheck? She must not be a very good lobbyist.

I am reminded of little Timmy, the tax cheating treasurer.

Willow Bailey
20618
Willow Bailey 06/09/12 - 05:37 pm
Okay, boys, Hot or Not

she can't have the job. First of all, it's obvious she's a liar and secondly, her fianances do matter. Too broke translates into too tempted. She should apply for a position in John Edward's office, though.

KSL
KSL 06/09/12 - 06:35 pm
Can' t the Republicans put up

Can' t the Republicans put up a better candiate or did the left actually come up with her?

KSL
KSL 06/09/12 - 05:42 pm
I am with you Willow. When I

I am with you Willow. When I was her age, my net worth was way more and I was a stay at home mom.

KSL
KSL 06/09/12 - 05:54 pm
RA, I will attempt to answer

RA, I will attempt to answer the question as how she can run as a Repub. First of all, votes on the psc are less subject to party politics. And those votes get the public scrutiny that votes in the legislature get, unless it has to do with rate increases. What better place for a progressive to hide? She can influence from behind the scenes.

KSL
KSL 06/09/12 - 06:30 pm
Does she have both of those

Does she have both of those degrees or not? Is she a prevaricator?

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/09/12 - 06:53 pm
There must be something about

There must be something about the PSC. That's what Joey Brush ran for, too.

KSL
KSL 06/09/12 - 06:54 pm
A negative net worth. Does

A negative net worth. Does that sound like the media's portrayal of Republicans.

And she insulted Georgians by comparing herself to most Georgians. No doubt that all in Georgia have been affected in some way by the recession. No doubt some have had their income affected positively. There are some Obama supporters who maintain they are better off than they were 4 years ago. I wonder if they will say the same 4 years from now. They had better be careful and he loses and the pain of his programs effects on the economy 3 years after a Rep is elected, they will need to shut up and remember that in 2012 0 is still blaming Bush and all of the money he has thrown out there.

KSL
KSL 06/09/12 - 06:57 pm
I will ask my son. At one

I will ask my son. At one point he was an officer in a new company that came before them for licensing.

KSL
KSL 06/09/12 - 07:10 pm
Oh, lest I forget: I am

Oh, lest I forget: I am grateful for the struggle ........ It allows me to empathize....... A mother of two children is grateful for having to struggle financially with her children for the sake of understanding what poor Georgians are going through, including the ones who have been offered hands up but chose to take the hand out way out.

I appologize if this information on the AC has incorrectly portrayed her. ButI doubt it at this point.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/09/12 - 09:20 pm
Qualifications

I have to admit, Raul, that she is more attractive than Stan Wise.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/09/12 - 09:23 pm
Lobby

And she's a divorcee as well. It won't be long before she's dating an Atlanta Gas Light lobbyist.

DavidStaples
DavidStaples 06/10/12 - 10:48 am
Another Candidate

Of course, there is another candidate in the race. This November will see a Libertarian on the ballot against whomever the Republican primary winner is. There is no Democrat in this race. You can find out more at: