Sheriff Strength to make election announcement today

Richmond County Sheriff Ronnie Strength said he will make an announcement about his intentions for the next election at 2 p.m. today.

Associates and others close to the sheriff expect Strength will announce he has no plans to seek re-election. Strength, however, has not publicly stated such intentions, saying he was only considering retirement.

If Strength does announce his departure plans today, it’s expected that sheriff’s Capt. Scott Peebles will be among those to throw their hats into the ring for the sheriff’s office.

Richmond County Board of Education Public Safety Lt. Richard Roundtree, a former sheriff’s investigator, has said he will run if Strength retires.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/09/12 - 09:35 am
I'd like for the "other" high

I'd like for the "other" high ranking officer that the RCSO officer said on here would be the best person for the job to run.

iLove
iLove 03/09/12 - 10:32 am
"Now in his 12th year as

"Now in his 12th year as sheriff, Strength said he has been under intense pressure from members of the community to run for re-election."

I beg to differ....maybe the WPS, but not the community.

happychimer
19565
happychimer 03/09/12 - 10:33 am
Roundtree did not say he

Roundtree did not say he would run if strengh retires. Roundtree announced his intention to run for sheriff weeks ago.He even said the media announced it wrong and that he is running. check it out on facebook. He already is getting contributions for his campaign.

Bonk
Bonk 03/09/12 - 10:56 am
Mr. Strength is a good man a

Mr. Strength is a good man a gave great service to our town. Is this guy's name REALLY richard roundtree? Oh, come on, really? I guess it will be great having SHAFT for our sheriff! They say this cat SHAFT is one bad MOTHER--shut your mouth! I'm just talkin' about SHAFT man

happychimer
19565
happychimer 03/09/12 - 10:59 am
Bonk ??? I don't understand

Bonk ??? I don't understand your comment.

Bonk
Bonk 03/09/12 - 11:02 am
Mr.Strength sir, PLEASE run

Mr.Strength sir, PLEASE run for re-election! You are the most law and order guy I have known since I have lived here in Augusta. If a guy named Sheriff Ronnie Strength ever told me to get out of town by high noon tomorrow, trust me, I would be gone!

Bonk
Bonk 03/09/12 - 11:03 am
happychimer--u didnt grow up

happychimer--u didnt grow up n the 70's did you?

Bonk
Bonk 03/09/12 - 11:03 am
look up richard roundtree on

look up richard roundtree on IMDB

iLove
iLove 03/09/12 - 11:32 am
A certain free local paper is

A certain free local paper is reporting that this will be a retirement announcement.

happychimer
19565
happychimer 03/09/12 - 11:35 am
The interviewwith Strength

The interviewwith Strength last night on tv had retirement all over it.

csraguy
csraguy 03/09/12 - 12:21 pm
After watching WRDW, it is

After watching WRDW, it is clear that Sheriff Strength will be announcing his retirement and from his various comments that he believes Scott Peebles is the best qualified to become the next Sheriff.

allhans
allhans 03/09/12 - 12:24 pm
I hear good things about

I hear good things about Peebles, but haven't heard much about Strength's brother-in-law who is running, I don't even know his name.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/09/12 - 12:25 pm
(Taking a bow) Personally,

(Taking a bow)

Personally, I'm tired of the connections being passed on from Webster to Strength to.... Peebles. It's time for a change. Community policing is way past due.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/09/12 - 12:32 pm
95% of the crime in

95% of the crime in Augusta-Richmond County, a majority black county,involves blacks. We need a black Sheriff who can go among the black community and work with them in community policing.

dwb619
dwb619 03/09/12 - 12:36 pm
Rob Silas is the

Rob Silas is the brother-in-law.

everybodylies
everybodylies 03/09/12 - 12:53 pm
Well....... This is about to

Well....... This is about to become very interesting.....

EyeMaeNo
EyeMaeNo 03/09/12 - 01:01 pm
Riverman1 I am NOT an RSCO

Riverman1 I am NOT an RSCO officer and it is doubtful that Major Ken Autry will run. If he would, he would definitely be the MOST qualified candidate in the election and is also the best suited to lead RCSO in a positive direction. He is also a respectable man and someone that the community could trust. He would have their best interest at heart always. However, there may be some surprises that the three people who are planning to vie for office may not know about. There are more than just the three people are mentioning who plan to announce their intentions once the current Sheriff makes his announcement. Just sit back and wait for it.

Bonk
Bonk 03/09/12 - 01:50 pm
WE NEED SHAFT!!!!

WE NEED SHAFT!!!!

iLove
iLove 03/09/12 - 02:53 pm
@Riverman - care to share the

@Riverman - care to share the data for your information?

happychimer
19565
happychimer 03/09/12 - 03:10 pm
River said We need a black

River said We need a black Sheriff who can go among the black community and work with them in community policing.
I agree, and I think Richard Roundtree is the right man.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/09/12 - 04:24 pm
Supposedly, threats have been

Supposedly, threats have been thrown out by some Richmond County officers if one of the white candidates doesn't win, they'll quit. I think that shows the disarray the RCSO is in. From what I heard, most of the officers respect Maj. Autry, but he doesn't want to run.

Waymore
Waymore 03/09/12 - 09:01 pm
happychimer said, "I think

happychimer said, "I think Richard Roundtree is the right man."

Would you care to elaborate? What makes him the "right man" for the job? I'm undecided. Why would he be the best man for the job?

csraguy
csraguy 03/09/12 - 09:09 pm
River, that is just pure

River, that is just pure gossip and ridiculous. Now granted, many don't wish to work for someone who is unethical and is primarily running for the office because of a vendetta. Don't forget "grateful Mother" made many claims against those in charge at the Sheriff's Office and against the Sheriff, etc. as well as racial claims so of course many would never want to work for someone like that, no matter what their race.

We don't need a white sheriff any more than we need a black sheriff - we need the best and most qualified person to lead the department. The Major is a fine man but you are correct in stating he has no plans to run. Frankly, most would not give up everything they have for a chance to lead the department with all of the work, headaches and negativity that comes with the job. Captain Peebles on the other hand has been working directly with the community for quite some time and has been with the department for over 20 years. He has properly risen through the ranks over the years due to his education, training, certifications, ability and leadership. He wishes to take a good department and lead it to greatness, including community policing, something he has been attempting for quite some time. Our Sheriff is more than just a police officer now days. He needs to be a leader, a visionary, detail oriented, organized, and trustworthy, and a politician that can work well with the commissioners, well educated, etc. and from the candidates thus far, only Peebles meets those needs.

But, no matter who is elected, as the Sheriff said today, they need the manpower and the resources. Right now, deputies go from call to call and their call volume is more than double that of neighboring counties. You cannot do pro-active community policing without proper manpower. This commission has not only drastically cut the Sheriff's budget over the last 4 years but has reduced the department by over 40 deputies and furloughed all of the other officers which based on hours x deputies would be like taking away another 17 deputies for the year. Add to the fact that the jail budget has been slashed and you can forget pro-active community policing techniques as well as arrests for crimes such as loitering and other misdemeanors which lead to other crimes occurring.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/09/12 - 09:33 pm
Waymore, I've followed your

Waymore, I've followed your posts from the old days. I know and respect you. How do you feel about Peebles? Anybody you prefer?

CSRAGuy, the assertion some would quit the department unless Peebles was elected came from the radio. He went into this big thing about blacks trying to capture public offices in the county and said some officers would resign if it were Roundtree and not Peebles.

I'm going to give you my noninsider opinion. Roundtree is really, really bad. Besides leaving the police records and gun in his old apartment, many forget about his signing the hooker out of jail for hours on Sundays.

Peebles doesn't impress me one bit. When he wore the SWAT vest at the press conference, it was childish. I've heard him talk and he just doesn't impress. Plus, he would continue the Webster, Strength chain with the connections to the boys on the end of Broad St.

But I keep hearing about two great senior officers who don't want to run. Why not one of them?

Waymore
Waymore 03/09/12 - 09:43 pm
Riverman, of the three that

Riverman, of the three that have announced their intentions, Scott Peebles is the best qualified for the job. I think that he has the respect of the officers and the public. My only concern is the "lineage"...IF he can be his own man, and IF he remembers where he came from, and IF he treats him men (and women) with respect and not like treat them as if they are a necessary evil, he'll do fine. Morale is low, and it's not just the pay. A few tweaks here and there, and morale would rise. I think he understands what needs to be done..

However, if an Otis Hensley clone came out of the woodwork....

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/09/12 - 09:50 pm
Waymore, that's exactly why I

Waymore, that's exactly why I value your opinion. That was about as honest as one can get. I actually said before I was supporting Peebles right now because I didn't see anyone better. You know the Otis Hensley reference makes me think. It doesn't even have to be someone in the RCSO although I'm not sure how you would feel about that.

One last point as I've said forever. A black sheriff would add a necessary dynamic.

Waymore
Waymore 03/09/12 - 11:36 pm
I think that a black Sheriff

I think that a black Sheriff would do the county good. However, it needs to be the RIGHT person for the job. Major Autry would probably do a good job.

The county needs a Sheriff that the black community trusts, but one who will make it known that the BS must stop and that excuses won't be tolerated. A Sheriff that can relate to the entire county (although, you can never make everyone happy). I know who that person is, but conventional wisdom says that he's eyeballing Sheriff of a neighboring county.

GaStang22
GaStang22 03/10/12 - 12:08 am

csraguy
csraguy 03/10/12 - 01:13 am
Waymore, very good insight.

Waymore, very good insight. I would add that I do believe Peebles does have great respect with many in the black community and is very well trusted as well since he often works closely with many African American leaders and citizens. For many years he has often been seen speaking within the community, at forums, etc. and making a positive difference within the community.

You also make some very good points on morale which I believe after listening to Scott, he really gets it. Pay however is an issue that does need to be addressed as taking a pay cut each year for the past 3 years due to increases in insurance premiums combined with the furlough days, etc. greatly overworks many deputies who have to work specials on their days off just to make ends meet or to make the salary they use to make which was bad enough before. Most deputies know that many surrounding agencies pay more, offer better benefits, etc. and that does greatly contribute to deputies leaving Richmond County.

Otis Hensley was a great Sheriff to work for and he cared greatly about his deputies. When the commissioners wouldn't do what was right for the community and the agency, he went so far as to threaten a law suit against them to get what was needed and it was given to him immediately. You are right though, you will never please everyone and frankly, if you do, you aren't doing your job right. Peebles has learned a lot from Strength over the years but he certainly is "his own man" and will lead the department from good to great. You are also right that he is by far the most qualified. I believe the changes he will make will improve the department and morale as needed but it will not be a complete 180 as Roundtree would prefer.

River, I understand where you are coming from and also know that you do care about the deputies and you often state how hard they work, etc. I agree and think it is important we get behind the best person for the job and from personal knowledge, observation and many direct conversations I know Scott Peebles is the best to take the RCSO to the next level and serve our area as our Sheriff.

csraguy
csraguy 03/10/12 - 01:15 am
Waymore, you got me on that

Waymore, you got me on that one....mind sharing their initials?

Stormwater fee to fund Columbia County repairs