SC might fine teens for 'sexting'

COLUMBIA— A legislative panel is discussing a bill that would ban teens from sexting in South Carolina.

A House subcommittee is planning today to debate proposed legislation that would make it illegal for juveniles ages 12 through 17 to knowingly transmit sexually explicit photos.

Offenders would face up to a $100 fine and be required to complete an educational program. Currently, a minor could be prosecuted for a felony crime for disseminating sexually explicit photos.

Rep. Joan Brady originally introduced the bill last year. The Columbia Republican said she hoped the bill would educate parents to the problem and help teens understand the negative emotional repercussions of messages that can sometimes constitute cyber bullying.

maddog
maddog 02/29/12 - 08:54 am
I'm sure the SC government

I'm sure the SC government has nothing better to do.

meginlea
meginlea 02/29/12 - 10:04 am
Umm, I run an after school

Umm, I run an after school program in Chinatown in Manhattan, and personally, I think this is a VERY good idea. People would be utterly surprised about how much of this stuff is going on and just how deep it goes. Sex is infiltrating the school systems down through middle schools and even starting to show up in elementary schools. I work primarily with students ages 11 through 15. Although I am sure New York City kids may be a bit more progressive than suburban South Carolina kids, it is not THAT much different. I grew up my entire life in Augusta, Georgia, and all my extended family is from Columbia, South Carolina. I remember what it was like for me as I'm only in my 20s now, and I have young cousins that have gone through SC public school systems. If this is what the SC government does when it has NOTHING better to do with its time, then I am quite satisfied. The youth of this nation are running 100 miles an hour in the wrong direction without enough people out there to direct them.

lovebugg
lovebugg 02/29/12 - 10:48 am
Like this will help... these

Like this will help... these kids have raging hormones!!!! Do they really think this will stop them??? Ha.. they must be trying to fool themselves!!!!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 02/29/12 - 11:26 am
Can we add another part to

Can we add another part to the law for elected officials?

CarlA
CarlA 02/29/12 - 12:00 pm
How in the world can you fine

How in the world can you fine a 12 year old? And when they can't pay the fine do we issue a warrant for the kid's arrest? And if the kid is 11, then it must be legal? This is SC for you! The SC legislatures have about as much sense as a brick.

I applaud the purpose of the legislation but it needs to be tweaked a little. We need to hold the parents accountable.

Bonk
Bonk 02/29/12 - 12:56 pm
Did they define "sexually

Did they define "sexually explicit"?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/29/12 - 01:00 pm
Yeah, but you cannot print

Yeah, but you cannot print the text of the law in a family newspaper!

specsta
specsta 02/29/12 - 04:23 pm
Government officials are

Government officials are always seriously lagging behind in their knowledge about current technologies. These kids/teens will always find a way to circumvent whatever rules are in place.

Remember when Limewire was shut down? By the time the government had decided it was something to be looked into, the kids had already migrated to other options for music/video downloads.

Sometimes these kids are on to a new technology before adults even realize that the old one even exists. These laws are like using an eyedropper to put out a fire. A better approach would be to talk to kids/teens about the consequences of posting private material and help them to understand the effect it can have on their lives. Fines and laws are no deterrent.

TParty
TParty 03/01/12 - 12:05 am
Oh hey, Pakistan tried doing

Oh hey, Pakistan tried doing this too!