Government

More News | | | Editor

Augusta Commission rejects tougher smoking ban

Tuesday, Feb. 21, 2012 7:01 PM
Last updated 7:16 PM

The Augusta Commission has rejected a proposed tougher smoking ban.

The measure failed by a 6-3-1 vote.

The ordinance would have banned smoking in virtually every public space and in some outdoor areas, as well as in vehicles with children 14 and younger. It would have allowed smoking on city property if it is leased or rented, but not in the building itself.

Augusta is under a statewide law that bans smoking in most public places where children could be present, such as most restaurants, but allows exemptions for bars and restaurants where no one younger than 18 is admitted.

Jake
Jake 02/21/12 - 10:36 pm
This (cough, cough) is a good

This (cough, cough) is a good (hack, hack) pro anti-government stance that the Augusta Commission (hack, spittle, hock a lugey) has undertaken. Anyone got a Kleenex I could use?

allhans
allhans 02/21/12 - 11:25 pm
Good going, guys!

Good going, guys!

KSL
KSL 02/21/12 - 11:37 pm
I'm surprised I don't have

I'm surprised I don't have lung cancer. I'm surprised neither of my parents had lung cancer. I grew up around two parents who didn't give up smoking until I was an adult. So is my husband, with his parents. Back when those nasty cigarette companies were adulterating their product. Hack, hack. We are both fine and my mother is approaching 89 years old. I thing she smoked for 30 or 40 years. My dad smoked even longer.

I'm not in favor of smoking. And since I've been away from it for most of my adulthood I don't care to be in close proximity, but I'm not for a total ban of it. If we are to ban smoking, lets not allow fat people to buy double cheese burgers and oversized order of fries. Let's ban section 8 housing that allows "guests" to live there and sell drugs or use drugs, not saying those on the rental agreement are the ones. It's usually the relatives that slip in there after the agreement is signed.

MichaelMcFadden
MichaelMcFadden 02/23/12 - 03:50 am
Good for Augusta! Note that

Good for Augusta! Note that the Antismokers previously pushed for, and got, a ban on smoking in all places where people under 18 might go. As soon as they got that, they focused on trying to get the rest of the businesses. If they HAD gotten this bill through, they simply would have moved on to the next step: banning it in public parks and plazas, in apartment buildings, maybe even on sidewalks (all they have to do is pass a "no smoking within 25 feet" rule and the smokers will be sent to play in traffic.)

It doesn't matter WHAT you give them, they will always come back and beat on you for more: that's what they're paid for.

- MJM

smartin1955
smartin1955 02/23/12 - 02:04 pm
You thought the American

You thought the American Cancer Society lobbied for smoking bans out of the goodness of their hearts, didn't you? Actually, your DONATIONS, and their grant funding from the pharma that markets Nicoderm, Nicorette, Nicotrol, Nicoderm CQ, pay them to do it. AND, the Cancer Society have the Quitline contracts in almost every state, and when you call they tell you to go and buy those products! The ACS, and their lobbying, very profitable, non profit partners at the Heart and Lung Associations, are raking in the dough with this agenda! You would be SHOCKED at how much the Cancer Society really spends to "find a cure"!
Do your homework! Donate to groups who use your money to find cures, NOT lobby, NOT fundraising, and NOTNOTNOT big fat paychecks!

smartin1955
smartin1955 02/23/12 - 02:06 pm
I didn't like finding out the

I didn't like finding out the truth either! But I looked at these groups 990's and looked at their grant funding, OMG! "Smokeless States Program" Look it up!

MichaelMcFadden
MichaelMcFadden 03/07/12 - 01:03 am
Good for Augusta! Note that

- MJM

MichaelMcFadden
MichaelMcFadden 03/07/12 - 07:17 pm
Apologies for the doubled

Apologies for the doubled comment: my earlier one didn't seem to be visible and I thought I might have simply left it sitting as a draft in my email without posting it. Feel free to delete this and second comment. Sorry!

- MJM