Political blog: Will Obama campaign in Augusta?

Wednesday, Feb. 15, 2012 7:39 AM
Last updated 6:19 PM

There is speculation that President Obama will visit Georgia next month and Augusta might be on the itinerary.

Earlier this month, state Democratic chairman Mike Berlon said Obama likely will stump in Georgia, but not until later in the year.

But Democratic insiders who asked not to be named said the president will appear in Atlanta in March and possibly in Augusta and Albany. Savannah is not likely to be part of the itinerary, they added, but hasn’t been ruled out.

Party activists said Augusta, Albany and Savannah are being considered because they are in two-state media markets. But Albany, they added, might have a leg up because it’s near Florida, considered a key battleground this year.

smbga
smbga 02/15/12 - 09:15 am
Oh God no!!!

Oh God no!!!

allhans
allhans 02/15/12 - 09:32 am
Why would he?

Why would he?

12barblues
12barblues 02/15/12 - 10:03 am
Hope so!

Hope so!

JRC2024
JRC2024 02/15/12 - 10:12 am
Maybe he will announce a plan

Maybe he will announce a plan to make the 40% or so who pay no taxes get on the wagon and help instead of hinder. But I doubt it because he would not get their vote. All I heard the other night was the rich need to pay more and not the other way that the others should help.

OJP
OJP 02/15/12 - 10:46 am
@JRC2024: Everyone who buys

@JRC2024: Everyone who buys anything is a taxpayer (i.e., everyone is a taxpayer). Many people end up paying no federal income taxes due to tax credits, deductions, etc. - but that certainly does not mean they pay no taxes.

allhans
allhans 02/15/12 - 10:56 am
If you pay no income taxes,

If you pay no income taxes, then you pay no income taxes. You can't make it the other way around simply by saying it. We know that JRC was saying NO income tax...he is right.

OJP
OJP 02/15/12 - 11:15 am
@allhans: We don't know that

@allhans: We don't know that at all. Words mean things. He said 40% pay no taxes. That statement is patently false.

And even saying 40% pay no federal taxes is false because that does not include payroll taxes (which we all pay and don't get back via a refund); and 40% may ultimately pay no federal income taxes but they do send money to the federal government with every paycheck (despite receiving a refund during tax season). Ask any business: cash flow is important - without the steady remittances from employers, the operation of the federal government would be dramatically different.

I'm not making anything the "other way around simply by saying it" - I'm clearing up misconceptions that get repeated without firing a single synapse to verify it.

Riverrunner30909
Riverrunner30909 02/15/12 - 11:18 am
He does not need to come. We

He does not need to come. We have enough USA hating Muslims in the area and we sure do not need another one hiding behind the title of president to come.

David Parker
David Parker 02/15/12 - 11:37 am
seems to me that in end, if

seems to me that in end, if the poor don't make enough to pay tax via credits, and the rich make enough to circumvent paying taxes via breaks...

nobody is left except those who don't fall in either category, uhh middle class. I've seen nothing so far that is comprehensively addressing what should be addressed so pointing a finger at this percent and that percent isn't paying this, on and on....

Get back to reality and conclude it is better to focus on self than anything, you get way more results.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/15/12 - 11:46 am
OJP wrote: And even saying

OJP wrote:

People should be more precise when they speak and write. That being said, whenever you hear or see someone claiming "40% pay no taxes," all of us know what they mean is "40% pay no federal income taxes." That statistic is essentially true.

Now, OJP's claim that "we all" pay payroll taxes is patently false. If you are not working, you are not paying payroll taxes. There are pull-enty of people in that category.

Frank I
Frank I 02/15/12 - 12:25 pm
@allhans: I don't know if the

@allhans: I don't know if the article was edited between your "Why would he?" and now, but it's fairly straight forward in the article. Augusta happens to be a two state region, thus maximizing the impact made between Georgia and South Carolina voters....

allhans
allhans 02/15/12 - 12:49 pm
Sadly GA and SC usually vote

Sadly GA and SC usually vote about the same. Obama will take both states without putting up a fight.
So again I say, "why should he".

OJP
OJP 02/15/12 - 12:57 pm
@Little Lamb: You're right -

@Little Lamb: You're right - although "employment" is inherent in the concept of "payroll taxes" (unlike "income", which is not inherent in the concept of "taxes" - there are other types of taxes).

And "all of us" might know what is implied but we are the ones paying attention. I bet you dinner at La Maison that a substantial portion (if not majority) of those who hear the phrase "40% pay no taxes" DO NOT know that "federal" and "income, excluding payroll" are implied.

That sleight of hand is the very reason why it gets parroted: people assume there is a large percentage of the population that pays NO taxes at all and are completely free-loading of the rest of us (which is just not true).

TParty
TParty 02/15/12 - 01:08 pm
I wonder if Obama will try

I wonder if Obama will try and take credit for the Vogtle nuclear power plant if he visits.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 02/15/12 - 01:27 pm
How can you tell when a

How can you tell when a leftie is lying? His/Her lips move.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/15/12 - 02:16 pm
Allhans, you think Obama will

Allhans, you think Obama will carry GA and SC? Am I getting that right?

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 02/15/12 - 03:30 pm
Don't get your hopes up all

Don't get your hopes up all you supporters of "Our Dear Ruler" he's not coming here to see you. I'm sure he's already got a tee time at "the course"...

lovingthesouth72
lovingthesouth72 02/15/12 - 03:32 pm
I will go cheer him on only

I will go cheer him on only if he comes to give his farewell speech!

happychimer
happychimer 02/15/12 - 04:15 pm
i will certainly go see him

i will certainly go see him if he comes to Augusta.

bjphysics
bjphysics 02/15/12 - 04:15 pm
Riverman1
Riverman1 02/15/12 - 04:35 pm
Clinton carried GA the first

Clinton carried GA the first time, I believe.

bjphysics
bjphysics 02/15/12 - 04:47 pm
Many thanks to Ross

Many thanks to Ross Perot

Clinton: 1,008,966 (43.47%)
Bush: 995,252 (42.88%)
Perot: 309,657 (13.44%)

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/15/12 - 04:53 pm
BJ, yep, thanks for posting

BJ, yep, thanks for posting that. I also know Dole carried GA the next time against Clinton.

bjphysics
bjphysics 02/15/12 - 05:17 pm
Funny how Ross had that

Funny how Ross had that half-hour nationally televised commercial, replete with charts showing we were on a collision course with debt. He said if we acted soon we could turn it around with minimal suffering but if we waited it would be very painful if not (barring hyper-inflation) impossible.

The media made him look crazy and most of us bought it.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 02/15/12 - 06:26 pm
Augusta? Why would he need or

Augusta? Why would he need or want to cut out a few vacation days to come here? Augusta is majority-minority which means it's a lock. The racists will vote for him because of his race. Period. Same with Atlanta. The state, though, he will lose, big-time.

Jake
Jake 02/15/12 - 06:36 pm
If the racists will vote for

If the racists will vote for him because of his race then I guess the racists will also vote against him because of his race. Seems like the racist vote is pretty well cornered in Georgia.
I wonder if he could get a tee time at the National? Clinton couldn't.

allhans
allhans 02/15/12 - 08:17 pm
Riverman..(Sorry..I was out

Riverman..(Sorry..I was out much of the day.)
I hope not..I sure hope not.

Riverman1
Riverman1 02/15/12 - 08:22 pm
Allhans, me too. Heh.

Allhans, me too. Heh.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 02/15/12 - 11:07 pm
How's the lawsuit coming? He

How's the lawsuit coming? He may not even make the ballot in Georgia.

allhans
allhans 02/16/12 - 04:46 am
Sorry Willow. You will never

Sorry Willow. You will never stop him. I don't know if you could stop him if he goes in for 4 more years. I think the fight would be on to give him a lifetime position. This thing is serious : (

Mother tries to conceal newborn's birth

Cierra Y'Kesia Simms, 22, initially told Richmond County Sheriff's deputies about 7 a.m. Wednesday that she had discovered the baby on the ground behind the Masonic Temple on Wrightsboro Road, ...