Despite warnings from officials, the county commission accepted Harriss’ $814,000 bid in May to replace culverts on Sandalwood Drive in the Springlakes neighborhood.
With only about half the work done as a November deadline approached, Water Utility Director Bill Clayton sent Harriss a notice of termination to halt work on the project.
After pulling Harriss off the drainage project, the county “called” the bond to claim the money to complete the work.
The bonding company has since dropped to a C-minus rating from an A-plus.
A First Sealord Surety representative said the county could have to argue its claim in court, along with others expecting bond money, County Administrator Scott Johnson said Friday.
The county now must rebid the project, Johnson said. That will probably take place within the next two weeks.
“No matter who pays for it, we’ve got to get the job done,” Johnson said. “We owe it (to the residents of Springlakes) to get it done.”
Johnson said completing the job is expected to cost $200,000 to $300,000.
Reluctant to subvert the bidding process, the commission initially chose Harriss because his bid was about $200,000 cheaper than the next lowest bidder.
Though some county officials warned against giving the bid to Harriss, saying he received poor reviews from companies with which he previously worked, Johnson said he was questioned closely at the time the commission awarded him the low bid.
“You’ve got a low bidder who’s qualified with a bond,” he said. “What do you do?”
As for Harriss, “He won’t be doing any more work for us,” Johnson said.