Government

More News | | | Editor

Numbers low so far at Occupy Augusta rallies

According to the group’s Facebook page, more than 290 people “like” the Occupy Augusta movement. Only a fraction of those have turned out for the protests each evening for the past week on Augusta Common.

According to Lindsey Mor­ris, a member of the Occu­py Augusta movement, there have been an average of 12 to 15 people each night for a week at the downtown park. The protesters hold signs saying things such as “In Socialist America the banks rob you” and “Will trade Masters badges for the American Dream.”

Morris said the goal is mainly to raise awareness and create a strong local voice against corporate greed and government corruption.

Occupy Augusta marched from Augusta Common to the Judicial Center on Saturday afternoon, and Morris said about 40 people carried signs and walked as a group. They have permits to be on the Augusta Common every evening through Nov. 4, and Morris said she expects the turnout to get larger.

“We’re still trying to get organized and get the word out,” she said. “We’re really trying to figure out what it is that our goals are, here locally.”

Charlie Baker was at the first Occupy Augusta general assembly last Wednesday and has come again several times. He said what motivates him is a devotion to the ideals on which the United States was founded. There’s too much money in politics, he said, and he hopes the group can make a statement that reaches politicians’ ears.

“I believe in the United States Constitution, and that the common man can make a difference,” he said. “That’s what our country is all about.”

Pu239
Pu239 10/18/11 - 09:25 pm
I wonder if they have their

I wonder if they have their galoshes....

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 10/18/11 - 09:29 pm
the commons isn't really the

the commons isn't really the place we associate with greed screwing things up for everybody. what is?

jtra1n
jtra1n 10/18/11 - 10:11 pm
Getting more than 10 people

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 10/18/11 - 10:31 pm
What a bunch of

What a bunch of visionaries...even the President of Iran supports these groups.

Corporate greed is doled out to the shareholders...although I do agree that some salaries are ridiculous, the shareholders and customers have the ability to change things if they want to.

As for government corruption, it is in every government in the world and altough it would be great to have it removed, these are not the agenda's voiced by most of the occupy groups.

You can do far more to make America better by being a productive, law abiding, tax paying, knowledgable and voting citizen. Freedom of Speach and the right to protest is one thing but "occupying" any space, violating laws, littering, blocking businesses from conducting business, throwing objects at our police officers, etc. if not the right way to go about things...but then again, I wouldn't expect much else.

faithson
faithson 10/18/11 - 10:59 pm
'Corporate greed is doled out

'Corporate greed is doled out to the shareholders', Oh yea Asitis, that really justifies the means to an end. Greed is good as long as it pads MY 401K.

faithson
faithson 10/18/11 - 11:11 pm
People... we are being

People... we are being hoodwinked by financiers who only 'TOUCH' our money. They trade units of cash to others who sell them back other units of cash making money off the number of transactions they do and the incredible amounts involved. The most money I ever made was charging an owner a fee to remove dirt from his property and charging another owner of a different property a fee to place the dirt on his property. Coming and going... these guys on Wall Street made a science out of doing business like this and unwittingly bankrupt our economy in the process. It is time we ask what really happened and not let the Financiers off with a slap on the wrist.

Insider Information
Insider Information 10/18/11 - 11:19 pm
I still can't believe what

I still can't believe what that greedy banker of mine did to me! He flat out took my money.

True, I did hand it to him, but then he took it.

And, once he took, he then greedily made a profit by lending my money to someone who needed money.

How dare that thief of a banker!

What gives him the right to steal like that?

Insider Information
Insider Information 10/18/11 - 11:21 pm
I have heard several

I have heard several comparisons between the occupiers and the civil rights activists.

There is a sharp difference as evidenced by the occupiers' own words.

The civil rights leaders knew their goals and fought for them.
The occupiers know they want to fight, but still have no idea what they are fighting for or fighting against.

Vito45
Vito45 10/19/11 - 02:15 am
tra1n Tuesday, Oct. 18 10:11

tra1n
Tuesday, Oct. 18 10:11 PM
FROM:
Numbers low so far at Occupy Augusta rallies

**Getting more than 10 people who don't go to the same church to do anything in Augusta is an accomplishment and when we stand with Occupiers worldwide, the numbers are definitly not low. Occupy Wall Street took months in New York. No telling what it'll take for Augusta but after not even a week, it's a miracle the thing is still growing.**

Good luck. I admire your optimism, but you seem to understand Augusta as well as I; so methinks you are whistling into the wind.

Cadence
Cadence 10/19/11 - 02:47 am
I have to laugh at people who

I have to laugh at people who protest but they don't know what LOL It's okay, you'll figure it out after you mill around some and hold up signs and such. I guess. Then pray tell me what you all think this is going to accomplish? Cause I've had all the hope and change I can stomach.

Dixieman
Dixieman 10/19/11 - 04:30 am
Occupy Modoc! Go back and

Occupy Modoc!
Go back and retake Econ 101 which you either missed or failed the first time around.

Techfan
Techfan 10/19/11 - 05:25 am

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/19/11 - 07:39 am
They ought to go march in

They ought to go march in front of Mayor Copenhaver-Boardman's house since he didn't like it when Butch was there making a video.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/19/11 - 08:09 am
That's an idea river.....:)

That's an idea river.....:)

woodsman
woodsman 10/19/11 - 08:21 am
I'd respect a protest if they

I'd respect a protest if they knew what they were protesting about, but in this case the protesting is just aimless. The ability to make of yourself what you will is why America is great. Followers must be told and guided, and the occupiers are mind numbed robots, bitching about the harsh realities of life. Just stupid.

david jennings
david jennings 10/19/11 - 08:27 am
Why do the protesters choose

Why do the protesters choose to march against the CEO' /owners of Fox news and give MSNBC a pass. How about pro atheletes, are'nt they rich or over compensated? Like they mourned Steve Jobs. It is not about weathy people just conservatives, I mean they seem to be foot soldiers for some high powered organizations with huge interests in the outcome of 2012.,,, Huh?

hounddog
hounddog 10/19/11 - 08:55 am
‘It is not about weathy

‘It is not about weathy people just conservatives, I mean they seem to be foot soldiers for some high powered organizations with huge interests in the outcome of 2012.,,,’
Most of the moron protesters are like sheep being lead around by the nose.

Chillen
Chillen 10/19/11 - 09:00 am
Losing Momentum. Looks like

Losing Momentum.

Looks like they need the big union & socialist bosses to step in & get their small Augusta base fired up. Perhaps free bagels & lox will do the trick?

Plus this group is protesting the WRONG THING. The government is to blame. They control the money and THEY are the ones handing it out. Stop them and you stop crony capitalism. Duh.

Protest the government and I'll show up to join. Just like I do when the Tea Party holds their peaceful and effective protests against out of control & excessive government spending.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 10/19/11 - 10:43 am
I often drive through Broad

I often drive through Broad Street around 8-9pm on my way home. On a fine Monday night this week, there were about 8-9 people, one with a sign which read "End the Fed". I would say the organization which controls the US money supply needs an audit but no, the angry man with the sign wants to eliminate it entirely. Great call, dufus.

Last night (Tuesday), as I drove through around 8.30pm in the teeming rain there was..........ta-dah...........*drum roll please*...........NOBODY, out front of the Augusta Commons.

C'mon guys, be reasonable. Did you see how heavy it was raining last night?? Yes, of course we wanna change the world and choke capitalism but a man's gotta keep dry, right? An' we aint got them fancy signs the rich folks got. We got cardboard ones which go limp in the rain.

sid2279
sid2279 10/19/11 - 10:24 am
“In Socialist America the

“In Socialist America the banks rob you”... It should read "In Capitalist America the bank robs you".

TK3
TK3 10/19/11 - 10:34 am
I admire anyone who dares

I admire anyone who dares protest anything in these days of Big Brother.

TParty
TParty 10/19/11 - 11:09 am
"How about pro atheletes,

"How about pro atheletes, are'nt they rich or over compensated?"

It's not a matter of people being unhappy about rich people. It's how they maintain it. There is an NBA lockout right now, and lets say that the NFL had theirs. Obviously they are going to lose money because there will be no games for people to go to, and no ads, and all sorts of other things behind the scenes. As it should happen, they should just lose their money until they figure it out. However- what if they went the direction the banks and wall street did? The NBA and NFL went to congress and said "we'll collapse soon, it will be end of the world, give us your tax dollars." And now imagine that got it!! And the folks of NBA and NFL continued to make money and give pensions and golden parachutes, and go on company trips to extravagant locations.... all the while there are no games still.

It's the privatize gains, and social losses that are the problem.

It's the tax payers footing the bill while CEO's and companies continue to become richer and richer. Some how, American tax payers are on the hook. Obama just gives tax payer money to his corporate friends, who continue to do their deeds. They reduce and find ways to not pay out pensions. They find ways to foreclose on people trying to do the right thing. Insurance companies make record profits off of peoples lives.

The list goes on and on.

I'll say it again, it's the privatize gains, and social losses that are the problem. This is exactly what the Tea Party stands for. Remember TARP and the bailouts?

There's a report I read today about Bank of America, basically, BofA and the Fed are colluding to move subpar derivatives from the investment arm Merill Lynch to the FDIC insured bank arm. This will ultimately put the US tax-payer on the hook again! This is exactly the kind of 'socialization of losses' that the OWS and 99% have been protesting against. This is what the Tea Party has been saying for a long time!!

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 10/19/11 - 11:56 am
I'm cool with anyone

I'm cool with anyone excercising their right to protest. I don't get the impression that the "occupy Augusta" people are quite as rabid as the nut-jobs in NYC. When Joey Traina mentioned early on that some pressure should be brought to bear on LOCAL officails and entities I thought that was a much better use of their time.

Many Arrows
Many Arrows 10/19/11 - 04:20 pm
River, you kill me. Remember

River, you kill me. Remember our discussion about SEC Chair Cox taking the 12:1 leverage limits out in conjunction with the banks counting sweep accounts in their leverageable balances? Forces in play are HUGE, the local media are BLINDly parroting the brain dead national guys who are 5 years past their "sell by" date, Morris cannot find the presence to find or tell the truth and all the while the middle classers are ever more pressured and harried.

Show and tell time? How many MONTHS of material do I have? How many arrows? http://youtu.be/WMV3akPWMm0

Many Arrows
Many Arrows 10/19/11 - 04:48 pm
Gentlemen! I too have been a

Gentlemen! I too have been a close observer of the doings of the Bank of the United States. I have had men watching you for a long time, and am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank. You tell me that if I take the deposits from the bank and annul its charter I shall ruin ten thousand families. That may be true, gentlemen, but that is your sin! Should I let you go on, you will ruin fifty thousand families, and that would be my sin! You are a den of vipers and thieves. I have determined to rout you out, and by the Eternal, (bringing his fist down on the table) I will rout you out! - Andrew Jackson......River, I have had my biggest magnifying glass on the local bankers for FIVE YEARS.....this is going to be fun.

Many Arrows
Many Arrows 10/19/11 - 04:50 pm
As to the #'s you posted that

As to the #'s you posted that were either retracted or deleted, it was $200 million debt 'restructuring' of the corporate family, not the master.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/19/11 - 04:52 pm
Many Arrows, thanks for the

Many Arrows, thanks for the correction. I remember you explaining how they are changing the rules for the leverage limits. We are making matters worse by delaying the truth being known. (Watered down post)

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/19/11 - 05:00 pm
I've related the story of my

I've related the story of my bank before that I won't mention because they are in a jittery post pulling mood with us here. I heard something about the bank having problems and went to transfer funds to another account in the bank to make things safe under the banking rules.

I was laughed at by this guy who said all the negative info was about their merger with Merrill Lynch and it had nothing to do with the actual bank.

Well, about a week later the president of that bank was before Congress and gone pretty soon. They threatened to indict him. The next time I went back to the bank in Evans and looked for the same guy, I was told his job had been eliminated. (This is one of those endings where no emphasis is required.)

Dixieman
Dixieman 10/19/11 - 08:17 pm
What will end this nonsense

What will end this nonsense is a few consecutive days of cold, rainy weather. These people have no courage or fortitude, and will scamper back home when the weather turns to continue their protest by blogging from their parents' knotty pine basements.

KSL
KSL 10/19/11 - 08:26 pm
Nonsense is a great way to

Nonsense is a great way to describe it, Dixieman.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.