Occupy Augusta plans first protest for Thursday

More than 50 people gathered Wednesday evening on Augusta Common for the first general assembly of Occupy Augusta, a local movement of the Occupy Wall Street protests spreading across the nation.

Back | Next
Observers clap for a speaker during an Occupy Augusta meeting on Augusta Common. More than 50 people gathered for the first general assembly of the local movement of the Occupy Wall Street protests spreading across the nation.  Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff
Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff

People used a megaphone to speak about their reasons for joining, issues they wanted to champion and logistics for upcoming protests.

Although the group has no designated leaders, a few people moderated the discussion and suggested times for their first protest, or “occupation.”

After member Maple Dynan suggested a protest from 5 to 9 tonight, the group agreed by a show of hands. About 30 people raised their hands to indicate they would be at the protest, which will be at the common, on Broad Street between Eighth and Ninth streets.

After a reading of the first amendment of Occupy Aug­usta’s constitution, the microphone was open to anyone. The statements included general cautions about staying unified and criticisms of political leaders and government policies.

Yoni James encouraged people to leave divisive issues for a different time.

“Wedge issues, those tiny issues that divide and conquer us, it’s going to separate people,” he said. “I want us to keep the solidarity.”

The protest tonight will be the first of many the group plans to stage. While they will start at Augusta Common, the protests might branch out to different areas.

Joey Traina, the president of Richmond County Young Democrats and a member of the group, suggested Occupy Augusta stage protest in front of local banks.

“What about Queens­borough (National Bank and Trust)? They were bailed out, too,” he said.

Lindsey Morris calls herself a member of the Occupy Augusta movement, but says she wants to keep the movement an “American thing,” not something that is defined by political parties or even social classes.

“I’d like to work with our mayor and commissioners and see how we can work together,” she said. “Instead of pointing fingers, we need to come together and come up with solutions.”

Office cleaners, guards march in New York

NEW YORK — Hundreds of office cleaners and guards marched Wednesday near Wall Street demanding good jobs and protesting economic inequality, while a smaller group of demonstrators rallied at JPMorgan Chase’s skyscraper.

The marches were part of a growing Occupy Wall Street movement, the monthlong protests that have inspired solidarity rallies planned today at about 90 U.S. college campuses. Demonstrations have occurred in more than 1,400 cities around the world.

The movement began on Sept.17, when protesters set up camp in a park near Wall Street in Lower Manhattan, upset that the billions of dollars in bank bailouts doled out during the recession allowed them to resume earning huge profits while average Americans have had no relief from high unemployment and job insecurity.

– Reuters

Augustan
Augustan 10/12/11 - 08:19 pm
I was starting to think we'd

I was starting to think we'd never get occupied!

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/12/11 - 08:22 pm
More than 50 people? 51, 59?

More than 50 people? 51, 59? People are actually comparing this bunch to the Tea Party as the opposite spectrum?

Have they figured out exactly what they are protesting and what they believe in yet? "Wedge issues..." "...keep the solidarity".
....K....

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 10/12/11 - 08:23 pm
Augustan, I know, but we're

Augustan, I know, but we're now occupied, just like Wall Street and Atlanta! Are we "cool" yet?

Pu239
Pu239 10/12/11 - 08:52 pm
Occupy Modoc!

Occupy Modoc!

Insider Information
Insider Information 10/12/11 - 09:01 pm
The Occupiers are coming! The

The Occupiers are coming! The Occupiers are coming!

What do they REALLY want?

Should banks close up shop and go out of business?

Should they open up the vault and say come take as much money as you want?

Should banks give them a lollipop with every new checking account?

Protest all night long, but what do you actually want?

Insider Information
Insider Information 10/12/11 - 09:30 pm
What are the odds that the

What are the odds that the Occupiers will protest at the Richmond County Democrat Headquarters or Lowell Greenbaum's house?

Democrats pushed the bailouts; banks merely accepted them.

Dixieman
Dixieman 10/12/11 - 10:05 pm
Pathetic. Go picket the

Pathetic. Go picket the Federal government which caused the problem. Economic illiteracy stalks the CSRA!

BevBoudreaux
BevBoudreaux 10/13/11 - 01:00 am
Occupy the Marble Palace! Now

Occupy the Marble Palace! Now that's a movement I could get behind.

R.W.
R.W. 10/13/11 - 01:35 am
I cannot and will not speak

I cannot and will not speak for everyone who was at the Commons. I couldn't if I wanted to. What I can tell you is why I personally was there.

I am protesting the stranglehold that Drug Companies have on our senior citizens with their oppressive pricing. We are 1 of only 2 countries in the world that allow direct to customer advertising for Rx Drugs. We also have the highest Drug costs in the world. I don't think that's a coincidence. They have also lobbied to keep us from reimporting Rx drugs from Canada due to safety issues. Which is funny because where do you think Canada gets their Rx drugs from?

I am protesting the fact that banks privatize their gains, but once they have any kind of losses, they run to the government with their hand out. And those losses are paid for by the American People, due to unethical and in some cases illegal practices. None of the actual criminals in Wall St. have been arrested for tanking the economy, and no meaningful regulations were put in place on condition of them receiving those funds. And instead of them helping us out like we helped them, they wrote themselves big checks, and continued with business as usual.

I'm protesting so-called "Free Trade" agreements, which allows big business to send jobs overseas to sweatshops, and allows us to get cheaper goods that we cannot afford due to us not having jobs. I'm protesting a government that doesn't represent me or my interests, regardless of what side of the room they stand on.

I'm protesting the idea that companies who claims to run their company out of their tax shelter PO Box "Home Office," can both not pay taxes and influence government. These same companies that take government subsidies and send US jobs overseas. The absurd notion that "Corporations are People, too." Here's a sad fact: people die and can be sent to jail, Corporations cannot.

I'm protesting the fact that, when our government needs to be doing things to put people back to work, they instead cut our social safety nets and whine about the "debt." The same debt, mind you, that wasn't a problem when we were going off to fight in Iraq and Afghanistan. And, maybe soon, Iran.

I'm protesting the idea that things that really don't matter in the grander scheme of things are separating decent people. Things such as what people decide to do to themselves or with another consenting adult on their own time aren't obscene to me. The very bad proposals we get and their real life consequences are.

Again, I'm not speaking for everyone who was at Occupy Augusta's first meeting. Far from it. But hopefully you have an idea of what I'm looking to accomplish.

Shammich
Shammich 10/13/11 - 02:40 am
This is incorrect

This is incorrect information. The First Amendment of the United States Constitution Bill of Rights was explained beforehand. There is no such thing as "Occupy Aug­usta’s constitution".

This group has no political party affiliation whatsoever.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/13/11 - 03:35 am
Well, can we please get

Well, can we please get bullet points??? There is a "Keeping up with the Kardashians" marathon on..

desertcat6
desertcat6 10/13/11 - 04:40 am
Spent most of yesterday

Spent most of yesterday afternoon watching YOUTUBE videos of OWS protests. Lots of frustrated liberals and young idealistic people who have little tolerance for anyone with a conservative position, and who mistakingly believe the right to assemble trumps the requirement to obey the law. There is a vast difference between a protest and a mob, and civil disobedience and a riot. Yes, lots of people are frustrated with the government, the economy and the actions of big business. There is an established system for change - elections. Liberals can denegrate the TEA party all day, but the impact they made through the last election is undeniable. Hold your liberal representatives accountable and use your votes to achieve change. Assemble. Protest. Boycot. Obey the law. Vote and vote again, and let the majority rule.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/13/11 - 05:13 am
I want to see these OWC

I want to see these OWC protestors catch one of the rich guys they are after and pull him out of a car or something. Make him stand before the crowd with his head bowed while he is ridiculed for being a capitalist and not sharing with the people. Make his family curse him, too, if they know what's good for them. March him through the streets wearing the simple clothes of the people. Put him on Chris Matthews Show bound and gagged while Matthews spews at him. Take him on the NBC Today Show so the world can see what happens to capitalists who try too much.

cityman
cityman 10/13/11 - 05:23 am
Are they going to protest the

Are they going to protest the Augusta Country Club ?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/13/11 - 05:41 am
I don't know about all that,

I don't know about all that, but Butch Palmer went out to Mayor Copenhaver-Boardman's house and videoed the front of it. That ticked Deke off bigtime. I guess he will run to the beach again if this mob shows up.

Formerly Shivas
Formerly Shivas 10/13/11 - 05:53 am
Great Job 99%. However, I am

Great Job 99%. However, I am conflicted because I love the 9-9-9 plan, but Romney is more my cup of tea because he is more liberal than my President. Right-wing has been hijacked by the t-party, which is why I love them so much. A liberals best friend. We cannot lose this upcoming election.

mtxbass1
mtxbass1 10/13/11 - 06:37 am
Formerly Shivas, serious

Formerly Shivas, serious question. Can you tell me why you love the 9-9-9 plan? What are your thoughts on a national sales tax PLUS a state tax on every purchase you make?

corgimom
corgimom 10/13/11 - 07:03 am
I'm still waiting for the

I'm still waiting for the sweeping changes that the Tea Party was supposed to provide.

I think I'll be waiting for a good long while.

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/13/11 - 07:11 am
It's not so much the sweeping

It's not so much the sweeping changes they have made. Sort of difficult when you are the minority party. It's the sweeping changes they have prevented that's key.

Granddaddy John
Granddaddy John 10/13/11 - 07:15 am
Well if you need any more

Well if you need any more info update tune in to the new comedian on MSNBC ,OLD AL BOY SHARPTON and he speaks in ebonics.Man what a bunch of loons and kooks.We have way to may stupid people walking around in this country today,don't we TECHFAN

TParty
TParty 10/13/11 - 07:37 am
I just want to say that OWS,

I just want to say that OWS, although not as pleasant and orderly as the Tea Party- shares a lot of values with the Tea Party.

OWS is not anger against rich people. The protestors are not mad NFL players make a lot of dough, and actors make tons of cash as well.

The biggest issue is the corruption, where politicians take in large sums of money from corporations, they get elected, and give them our tax monies in return for their support. Meanwhile, the people, especially middle class and poor suffer. OWS and the Tea Party are not asking for handouts. We all want fiscal responsibility. No more of our tax dollars should be subsidizing companies. We can provide money for research and development, the internet and space are two examples where the pay off is worth it.

I agree a lot with what RW said, and I know the Tea Party does as well. I don't recall who said it, but I have the quote saved, and I'll post it here. It's not mine:

Corruption and abuse of power seek to cloak themselves under the banner of security interests in order create elite ruling classes that are a threat to the security of those they are sworn to protect and the constitutions they are supposed to uphold. Citizens in both the United States and the European Union are witnessing the fruits of their lack of vigilance. This is a core underlying concern and reason for the rise of the “Tea Party” movement and its European counterparts. Such movements will continue arise as leaders of the so-called “free world” continue to violate the major principles of sound governance and hide corrupt actions under veils of secrecy.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/13/11 - 07:39 am
Let's not make fun of these

Let's not make fun of these protesters yet...hey...just because they don't make an intelligent statement...(yet)
Don't have their act together(yet)
Use the bathroom where ever they please
sleep in tents in parks
don't seem to have a leader
HEY.....that sounds a lot like congress to me

We could work wonders if the people would just stick together & work as a unit...BUT NO...we are too busy with JSpringer-Dancing With the Stars---Kardashians--Brad Pitt-long fingernails & weaves---the media plays us like a fiddle..while the millions keep rolling in....amazing how many sheep follow the bell....THINK-THINK--we make more sense on here than the talking heads on tv..

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/13/11 - 07:43 am
Thanks RW & Tparty.....yes we

Thanks RW & Tparty.....yes we can-yes we can...& we will.
We do have alot in common.

TParty
TParty 10/13/11 - 07:52 am
A big change in this country

A big change in this country from the Tea Party, corgimom, is the discussion now. Fiscal responsibility, once mute in this country is now debated by everyone.

A problem though is that corporate media doesn't like this, because they profit a lot from taking advantage of the middle class.

Jeffery Immelt is the CEO of GE. He was also appointed as a member to the President's Economic Recovery Advisory Board to provide President Obama and his administration with advice and counsel in fixing America's economic downturn. The company of GE also had sneaky ways to benefit and profit from TARP (I'm not 100% about the bailout, so I won't speculate.). GE also owns a lot of media corporations, NBC universal being the top tier. A lot of hate about the Tea Party came from NBC, because fiscal responsibility means no more tax payer money going to GE, who just fires American workers, and ships jobs overseas.

That's an example from the left, I can do the same for the right side.

OWS and the Tea Party are very similar. Problem is- the Tea Party has been hijacked by the right, and the OWS will be hijacked soon by the left, and regardless what political side you're on- if you are middle class you will be fleeced. It's time to remove a lot of money from politicians, and return power back to the people of the United States, instead of all of it going to the few rich people who have the ability to pay for politicians.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/13/11 - 08:08 am
The people making decisions &

The people making decisions & running this country have the money to pay for politiicians ...that is not the middle class..is it.Ya right!!

seeya later folks. will catch up later today-:)

Chillen
Chillen 10/13/11 - 08:09 am
Well at least this group

Well at least this group appears to be peaceful and clean up after themselves.

They are protesting the wrong thing though. The government is the group who needs to be protested. They are the cause of all of this mess. Stop the govt and you fix the issues they have.

cityman
cityman 10/13/11 - 08:29 am
Riverman1 Interesting that

Riverman1

Interesting that you mention Deke. He is a prime target for this protest since he comes from wealth and he married into the Boardman dynasty. His father in law, a Boardman, owns Surrey Center.

I wish that the Fair Tax people would educate these Occupy people and put them to on a productive path.

Dudeness
Dudeness 10/13/11 - 09:13 am
Protesting banks and

Protesting banks and corporations instead of the government is like going after the druggie rather than the drug dealer. These people should join the OccupyAJob movement rather than interfering with others who have already joined.

allhans
allhans 10/13/11 - 08:28 am
TechFan. I think any

TechFan. I think any president, regardless of party affiliation would have voted for TARP. (which is one reason I chuckle when I hear that Obama saved us from all kind of calamities when he signed the bill that originated with Bush.) As, I said, ANY man/woman would have signed Tarp because the Feds convinced them that the world would come to an end if banks folded and Wall Street crashed.
So, the CEO's got more money from the middle class and here we are.
Drastic changes should be made with the way the Fed operates.