Health Care

More | | | Editor

Augusta fire chief Willis transferred to heart institute

Augusta Fire Department Chief Howard Willis was transferred to University Hospital's Heart and Vascular Institute Wednesday after being transported to the emergency room earlier in the day, hospital spokeswoman Rebecca Sylvester said.

She said Willis is “resting comfortably” but could not provide details about his condition because doctors were still running tests.

Willis was initially transported by ambulance from work to the emergency room about 9:20 a.m., City Administrator Fred Russell said.

At the hospital, Willis had his wife, sons and a couple of firefighters by his side.

The incident appears unrelated to any department physical testing or activities, Russell said.

With Willis out, Mike Rogers, the deputy chief over technical services, is in charge, Russell said.

Rogers said administrators at the office made the decision to send Willis to the emergency room, although he would not describe what kind of complications Willis was having.

“It was a medical condition we thought he probably needed to be looked at,” Rogers said.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/14/11 - 12:05 pm
STRESS

STRESS

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 09/14/11 - 12:13 pm
Kind of strange wording. "It

Kind of strange wording. "It was a medical condition we thought he probably needed to look at?" It almost sounds like he was forced to go to the hospital.

sand gnat
sand gnat 09/14/11 - 12:15 pm
Hang in there, Bubba. You are

Hang in there, Bubba. You are a good man.

Willow Bailey
20602
Willow Bailey 09/14/11 - 12:48 pm
Prayers to Chief Willis and

Prayers to Chief Willis and his family. It does sound as if it were a requirement. Stress is a killer.

Willow Bailey
20602
Willow Bailey 09/14/11 - 05:56 pm
:)'s and best wishes for a

:)'s and best wishes for a speedy recovery to Chief Willis & family.

raul
raul 09/14/11 - 01:02 pm
This whole issue with the

This whole issue with the Chief really gets my goat. Here we have a union official demanding the Chief's and subordinate Chief's resignations. I mean when have you ever heard of a union official commending management on doing a great job. The firefighters' concerns should certainly be addressed and if performance deficiences are identified for which the Chief is responsible, they should be dealt with by informing the Chief of those deficiences, in writing, and providing him an opportunity to improve and correct those deficiencies. If there is no improvement, demotion or termination procedures should be effected. Treating the Chief with respect for his many years of satisfactory performance is nothing less than what would be expected by those wanting to fire him. Wishes for a speedy recovery. And P.S. I don't even live in RC. It is just the right thing to do.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 09/14/11 - 01:36 pm
That job has a lot of stress

That job has a lot of stress as of late.

Bubba Willis is a great guy. He earned his way up the ladder and I hope this is not related to any of this stress being put on him.

Get well soon Bubba.

Brad

Sweet son
Sweet son 09/14/11 - 01:41 pm
@Willow, you are right on

@Willow, you are right on target. eb97 apoligized and then was rude anyway! Must be a member of the group that wants the current fire administration to go. We all know that public figures are fair game but when it comes to their health it becomes another story!!

Sweet son
Sweet son 09/14/11 - 01:42 pm
Moderator where are you?

Moderator where are you?

paulwheeler
paulwheeler 09/14/11 - 01:45 pm
Yes, hopefully the Chief will

Yes, hopefully the Chief will be OK, but you have to wonder if this is from stress related to the Mason kangaroo court. Mason has now shown what he's all about, and with his grandstanding, he's lost my respect. And this guy Masters, this "spokesperson", is he a firefighter or a rabblerouser? Does he get his paycheck form us taxpayers?

SeeYa
SeeYa 09/14/11 - 01:54 pm
I am praying for Chief Willis

I am praying for Chief Willis and his family.

10oysters
10oysters 09/14/11 - 02:40 pm
paulwheeler, Masters is not

paulwheeler, Masters is not only a firefighter but one you would definitely want beside you if you were fighting a fire. This isn't about rabble-rouser, as you call it, but about the safety of men and women who put their lives on the line for the taxpayers who pay their salaries as you say. It's few who are ever willing to stand for anything.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 09/14/11 - 02:43 pm
Bubba, your health is more

Bubba, your health is more important than any the image of any governmental bureaucracy.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 09/14/11 - 02:44 pm
OOPS: Please delete the first

OOPS: Please delete the first "any."

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 09/14/11 - 04:03 pm
First of all, I send Chief

First of all, I send Chief Willis sincerest get well wishes.

Second, as to the accusation of the firemen complaining being "rabble rousers", the issues brought forth at the commission meeting has been brought to the chief's attention for years, but to no avail. As was clearly stated at the meeting, no less than four firefighters have been severely injured in the line of duty for want of basic, necessary equipment. Coming before the commission was the final step to guarantee the safety of our firefighters.

I hope Chief Willis recovers, but I also hope that whoever fills his place while he's out begins to take care of the problems brought forth by the many brave men who came forth the other night. We've already had good men severely injured, it's only a matter of time before one or more is killed.

Willow Bailey
20602
Willow Bailey 09/14/11 - 04:09 pm
10oysters " It's few who are

10oysters " It's few who are ever willing to stand for anything."
I agree with that part of your statement, but it is very important to check the standing along side of the personal motivation and the way in which the stance takes place. I don't know any of the parties, but it sure sounds and looks like a political power play for someone trying to rise to the rank of Chief.

Craig, you can use the edit button to fix your own posts:)

Sweet son
Sweet son 09/14/11 - 04:26 pm
@Willow and the moderation

@Willow and the moderation staff! Looks like my question was answered by removing the nasty comment.

Get well Chief!

10oysters
10oysters 09/14/11 - 04:30 pm
Willow, I am well-acquainted

Willow, I am well-acquainted with all parties and have been for many years... the firemen, the chief and the administration and I know of no one vying for the position of Chief. The firemen are addressing safety issues only as well as a qualified leader who will provide them with that protection. Not an easy job to address these issues and "buck the system".

Vito45
Vito45 09/14/11 - 05:37 pm
10oysters: "Not an easy job

10oysters: "Not an easy job to address these issues and "buck the system"."

I don't know anything about the parties involved, but from what I've heard about the good ol boy systems in place in RC, your statement is a fact.
"Go along to get along" is alive and well in most places.

Willow Bailey
20602
Willow Bailey 09/14/11 - 05:57 pm
10oysters, if you are

10oysters, if you are involved, then I respect your knowledge. I just think it is important to respect Chief Willis and what he has contributed to the community and allow him the opportunity to correct any inadequacies through pulling together rather than apart. If that can't be accomplished, then safety and growth would have to take priority. No one wants our firefighters to be hurt.

And Vito45, you are right about that, is it possible Chief Willis has experienced that system as well? I don't know, just a possibility. I always look forward to reading your view.

Willow Bailey
20602
Willow Bailey 09/14/11 - 05:55 pm
Yes, sweet son, I will

Yes, sweet son, I will remove my post. Thanks so much.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/14/11 - 05:56 pm
It has to be related to all

It has to be related to all the orchestrated attacks on him by some. How Fred Russell doesn't have a heart attack is beyond me.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 09/14/11 - 06:28 pm
true that...riverman

true that...riverman

willie7
willie7 09/14/11 - 06:38 pm
Chief Willis is a good man

Chief Willis is a good man but he is runing the fire department like they did 50 years ago. one needs managerial skills now days to run a big department . .
I wish him the best!!

traumaqueen
traumaqueen 09/14/11 - 07:20 pm
Maybe this is a good thing,

Maybe this is a good thing, in the long run. Maybe he will be diagnosed with an issue that potentially could have been fatal if left untreated. Perhaps he will appreciate EMS a little bit now. Maybe he will stop refusing to send his firefighters, that are certified First Responders, EMT's & Paramedics, to medical calls when EMS requests them with the purpose of assisting the citizens of Richmond Co. He is only ever referred to as "Fire Chief", remember people he is ALSO our EMA Director. Maybe he will embrace that title now with more respect. There is a huge possibility that RCFD & EMS will be brought closer together as a result of this. Lots of maybes & possibilities...Get Well Soon EMA Director Willis!

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 09/14/11 - 07:25 pm
OK I withdraw what I said

OK I withdraw what I said earlier and hope he gets well soon but the story at first was kind of funky the way it was worded.

Pu239
Pu239 09/14/11 - 08:37 pm
lots of snipers in these

lots of snipers in these woods.....

raul
raul 09/14/11 - 11:01 pm
@traumaqueen. Question? Would

@traumaqueen. Question? Would sending firefighters trained as EMT, paramedics, etc. on medical calls impact the staffing levels required for firefighting functions? Why wouldn't local ambulance services provide those services on medical calls?

raul
raul 09/14/11 - 11:10 pm
Another issue raised by

Another issue raised by traumaqueen. Why does Richmond County not have a full time EMA Director? I would think either job, Fire Chief or EMA Director are full time responsibilities. Having one person do both would only seem to cause a degradation of services of either or both jobs.

traumaqueen
traumaqueen 09/15/11 - 08:29 am
@raul, I have no idea why

@raul, I have no idea why they county decide to consolidate the fire chief & EMS director jobs. Who knows, it's rediculous if you ask me but Willis agreed to it when he accepted the fire chief position, so it's his responsibility to perform both jobs.

Faces of Survival: Breast Cancer Awareness Month series

Breast cancer has touched thousands of families across the Augusta area. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October, The Au­gus­ta Chronicle will be featuring ...