Columbia County Republican to seek 12th District Congress seat

Columbia County Republican wants to take Barrow's seat

Lee Anderson, a Republican state representative and lifelong Columbia County resident, announced Monday that he will run for U.S. House in Georgia’s redrawn 12th District, now represented by Democrat John Bar­row.

Lee Anderson: State lawmaker has served on the Columbia County Commission and school board.  Jim Baylock/Staff
Jim Baylock/Staff

In a news release Monday, Anderson said he filed paperwork with the Federal Elections Com­mis­sion to run in the district, which takes in most of Colum­bia County, all of Richmond Coun­ty and extends south to Ef­fing­ham County just north of Sa­vannah.

“I believe we have a great opportunity here,” Anderson said in a telephone interview. “Almost 50 percent of the population in the district is right here in the Columbia County and Augusta area.”

Anderson is a farmer and businessman who previously served on the Columbia County Board of Education and Columbia County Commission before his election to the state House in 2008. He said he believes that previous service, along with his ties to the farming community, give him an edge in the race.

Anderson could be one of several Republicans seeking the previously Democrat-leaning seat, which after redistricting has a roughly 58 percent Republican voter registration.

Rick Allen, the chairman and CEO of RW Allen Construction, acknowledged he intends to seek the seat.

“I’m not official, but I’m in the race,” he said in an interview Monday. Allen is the brother of Coun­ty Commissioner Charles Allen.

Former U.S. Rep. Max Burns, whom Barrow defeated for the post in 2006, has also been mentioned as a candidate.

Barrow has said he intends to seek re-election.

BevBoudreaux
BevBoudreaux 09/12/11 - 02:01 pm
Is it April Fools day?

Is it April Fools day?

hounddog
hounddog 09/12/11 - 02:07 pm
I know nothing about Anderson

I know nothing about Anderson but he has to be better than John Barrow.

Dixieman
Dixieman 09/12/11 - 07:09 pm
John Barrow, pack your bags!

John Barrow, pack your bags!

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 09/13/11 - 01:21 am
Does the name David

Does the name David Halberstam ring a bell? What was the title of his best-seller which gave an insider's view of the DC power structure?

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/13/11 - 04:48 am
I wonder if there are any

I wonder if there are any farmers in Congress? Anderson could play that angle up. A farmer-Congressman, not a lawyer, etc. Heck, when he's elected he could give his first speech on the House floor wearing overalls.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/13/11 - 06:53 am
Anderson must respectfully

Anderson must respectfully decline any and all invitations to debate Barrow on the campaign trail. Barrow's eloquence will kill Anderson.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/13/11 - 08:50 am
LL, Mike Tyson's eloquence

LL, Mike Tyson's eloquence would kill Lee Anderson in a debate.

Chillen
Chillen 09/13/11 - 09:04 am
Eloquence is overrated in

Eloquence is overrated in politics. Give me a good, plain, hard working American any day of the week. I don't know if Anderson fits that bill but that's who I am looking to vote into office in November 2012. In all seats. Obama has turned me off of slick talkers for life (and I didn't even vote for him!).

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/13/11 - 09:45 am
I'm just having fun with Lee

I'm just having fun with Lee Anderson. From everyone I see in so far, I support him. He can take a joke.

Dipshot
Dipshot 09/13/11 - 10:07 am
The area would be ill served

The area would be ill served by the rambling, incoherent Lee Anderson. It still behooves me how he even got elected to the state legislature. If Anderson is the nominee (God help us), then I will gladly cast my vote for Barrow. Having lee Anderson in Washington would be like having no representation at all.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/13/11 - 12:36 pm
Correct, Dipshot.

Correct, Dipshot. Fortunately we have a Republican primary. Hopefully someone will knock Anderson out of the saddle in the primary.

Dipshot
Dipshot 09/13/11 - 12:48 pm
Well Little Lamb, this crop

Well Little Lamb, this crop of candidates emerging so far isn't very inspiring

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/13/11 - 03:51 pm
I'm sure Rick Allen is going

I'm sure Rick Allen is going to have his whole family with all their connections working to get him elected, but Lee Anderson has the backing of Clay Whittle and the Columbia County veteran politicians.

This thing about Anderson not being able to speak well could be overblown. If it were all about speaking ability, the homeless Man With the Golden Voice would be an elected official somewhere. There are too many suits walking around Congress now. Let the guys with overalls in. A vote for Barrow is a vote for Obama, Pelosi, Reed.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/13/11 - 04:01 pm
I just came across the

I just came across the perfect analogy after seeing a video of Coach David Bennet of Georgia's upcoming opponent Coastal Carolina. Everyone has to check out that clip. It's hilarious.

The analogy is Lee Anderson is like Coach Bennet. Check out Chris Gay's blog and see if you agree.

faithson
faithson 09/13/11 - 06:20 pm
Lee Anderson is native son.

Lee Anderson is native son. I always found him to be a man of character. Does he have the ole southern draw, for sure... but he is a man of the land. We worked together on a few projects in the old days and I always found him great to work with. Lee will make a great representative, one even a progressive liberal like me can vote for.

subnuke98
subnuke98 09/14/11 - 11:45 pm
If people were so worried

If people were so worried about speaking well, Hank Johnson would never had been elected. He said Guam would tip over if too many Marines were stationed there. He also said "and thats the real deal Holyfield" on the House floor.

Court rules in probation case

ATLANTA -- The Supreme Court issued a unanimous decision this morning concluding that it is legal for local courts to contract with private companies to supervise offenders on probation for minor ...