Smoking bans could increase

ATLANTA --- By 2020, every state could have bans on smoking in restaurants, bars and the workplace, federal health officials predicted Thursday, based on the current pace of adopting anti-smoking laws.

The number of states with comprehensive indoor smoking bans went from zero in 2000 to 25 in 2010.

"It is by no means a foregone conclusion that we'll get there by 2020," said Dr. Tim McAfee, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Office on Smoking and Health.

But the success of the smoking ban movement has been astounding, and seems to be accelerating, he added. "I'm relatively bullish we'll at least get close to that number."

Nearly half of U.S. residents are covered by comprehensive state or local indoor smoking bans, the CDC estimated, in a new report.

Another 10 states have laws that ban smoking in workplaces, bars or restaurants, but not in all three venues.

Some other states have less restrictive laws, such as requiring smoking areas with separate ventilation.

Only seven states have no indoor smoking restrictions, although some of their cities do: Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, South Carolina, Texas, West Virginia and Wyoming.

Gary Nolan, the director of a smokers' rights group, said he wouldn't be surprised if the CDC's prediction came true. Public health officials and others have been putting tremendous pressure on bars and businesses to bar smoking, he added.

"It wouldn't surprise me if they prevailed," said Nolan, of the Smoker's Club. "It's just a little bit more liberty slipping away at the hands of big government."

Tobacco smoke is an established cause of lung cancer, heart disease and other maladies, and smoking has been called one of the nation's leading causes of death.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 04/21/11 - 02:01 pm
If cig smokers keep throwing

If cig smokers keep throwing their cig butts all over creation they will continue being banned, not so much for smoking as for the cig butts that many kids admit pick up and smoke thus spreading the addiction like a disease.

Right on
Right on 04/21/11 - 02:03 pm
Idiots will be idiots.

Idiots will be idiots. Smoking is bad not only from the health side but it down right stinks.

RedQuinoa
RedQuinoa 04/21/11 - 02:19 pm
Why wait until 2020? Do it

Why wait until 2020? Do it n-o-w!!

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 04/21/11 - 02:22 pm
Holier then thou people would

Holier then thou people would presume to tell you how to live your life. Cigarettes have very little to do with outdoor air quality. The air will still stink and be bad for you to breathe.

If they really cared about peoples health they would ban diesel buses and trucks within the city limits and would force industries to stop polluting. Of course that would never happen, those industries have lobbyists protecting them.

Do NOT tell me whether or not I can smoke. And those of you who don't smoke and fuss about how it makes you sick? Leave the room. Why do YOUR rights supersede mine? I don't think so. And, by the way, your perfume makes me ill and the smell of your dinner choice is nauseating. Should we send you outside in the cold and rain to eat because you offend? Shall we make a law against whining brats who interfere with our quiet dinners and send them outside because it offends? It's simple: Government needs to stay out of our lives. I will make informed decisions on my own.

fatboyhog
1941
fatboyhog 04/22/11 - 06:37 am
You have no "right" to smoke.

You have no "right" to smoke. But then again, why should I leave the room if you want to smoke? Not all, but many smokers are rude and inconsiderate. Standing outside of doorways to buildings, blowing smoke as people walk by, throwing cigarette butts on the ground, tossing butts out of moving vehicles. Smelling perfume, other's entree's, and listening to whining kids may be annoying, but I don't think that poses a health risk to you. So, why do YOUR rights supercede mine?

BULLDOGM-H
BULLDOGM-H 04/22/11 - 10:19 am
I'll tell you what does pose

I'll tell you what does pose a health risk to me, ALCOHOL!!!! The government needs to be looking at the number of deaths that are caused due to drunk driving and the number of innocent men, women and children that are killed due to DUI!! Do they care about that, no because most of them partake in the drink themselves. The poor innocent people driving down the road do not have the opportunity to remove themselves from a drunk driving accident while you DO have the opportunity to remove yourself from cigerette smoke. And another thing, look at the number of domestic violence cases that are caused by alcoholics and the number of people dying from liver disease due to drinking. What about the poor children who have their lives destroyed because of divorce due to alcoholism. The government doesn't seem to care about that! I do smoke and I feel I have that right. I do not smoke in my house and I don't smoke in restuarants. However I do feel I have the right to light up one if I am outdoors as it is not affecting anyone.

Former commissioner's case remains under review

While former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith's statements to Georgia State Patrol investigators likely can't be used against him, the state Office of the Inspector General continues to conduct ...