Stricter rules on piercings, tattoos may soon be in place in Columbia County

Tattoo artists in Columbia County must submit to stricter guidelines and more inspections under an ordinance approved Tuesday by the county commission.

The measure requires tattoo parlor owners, tattoo artists and body piercers to apply for licences renewed annually by the county Health Department. To obtain a license, artists must undergo training in CPR, first aid, universal blood-borne precautions and tattoo infection controls.

Tattoo parlors and artists must submit to county health inspections twice a year to make sure instruments are sterilized, the premises are clean, and artists and piercers are licensed.

Before the ordinance, parlors were not subject to inspections.

State law does not allow artists to tattoo clients within an inch of their eyes or tattoo anyone younger than 18. The law also forbids body piercing anyone younger than 18 without parental consent.

New ordinances must undergo a second reading and vote by commissioners before implementation. Second readings typically win approval.

Commissioners will vote again on the ordinance at their next meeting March 15.

Emergency and Operations Director Pam Tucker noted Tuesday that officials have worked on the ordinance for about a year, and it was written with the cooperation of tattoo artists and parlor owners.

Should the ordinance win a second approval, county environmental health specialist Andrea Frazier said last week that the Health Department will guide parlors through a mock inspection and give artists a copy of the ordinance.

csrareader
csrareader 03/01/11 - 08:00 pm
Well, I'm certainly thrilled

Well, I'm certainly thrilled that our "wonderful" Columbia County Government has jumped on the tattoo issue. Now, if they would just invest as much time on the TRAFFIC DISASTER!!!!!

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/01/11 - 08:04 pm
Once again Pam Tucker has

Once again Pam Tucker has jumped in to get some exposure. What in the heck does the EMA person have to do with tatoo parlors? She just likes to see her name in print. She is very good at her job but this does not seem to be in her job description! Donnie, why did you even mention her name?

Sweet son
Sweet son 03/01/11 - 08:07 pm
Good post sjsd17, her weather

Good post sjsd17, her weather alert yesterday did not even pan out!

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/01/11 - 08:29 pm
I want to see a framed paper

I want to see a framed paper on the wall behind Pam Tucker saying, Director of Tattoo Licensing. But I think Pam should test the procedures and get a tattoo of Ron Cross on her shoulder in 4 colors. If she desires, it could be placed on the lower back. It would be kind of like getting the first flu shot to show the population how painless and IMPORTANT it all is. If it catches on maybe all county employees would get one, Columbia County News-Times reporters, too.

7even
7even 03/01/11 - 08:38 pm
Where did Pam get her tattoo?

Where did Pam get her tattoo? Col Cty?

Barry Paschal 03/01/11 - 09:37 pm
The tattoo ordinance is under

The tattoo ordinance is under the health department's jurisdiction. Pam Tucker is director of the Emergency and Operations Division, which oversees the health department. Any more questions?

@csrareader: in case you missed it, Richmond County recently passed a similar ordinance. Had Columbia County not also done so, parlors that didn't obey the law in Augusta would have migrated to unrestricted Columbia County.

david jennings
david jennings 03/01/11 - 09:41 pm
I live in south Richmd. Co.

I live in south Richmd. Co. and you people think we are redneck? I dont have a tattoo and never will.Whats up with all the nasty comments about Pam Tucker?I think the lady does a fine job and is a good public servant.The ordinance sounds like good public policy to me.

Dixieman
19123
Dixieman 03/01/11 - 09:45 pm
Ordinance should require that

Ordinance should require that tattoos only be done on odd-numbered Thursdays in months with no "r" in them if the moon is full. They are a social evil and should be banned. Hopefully this fad will die out soon.

Riverman1
Riverman1 03/01/11 - 10:14 pm
I would have liked to have

I would have liked to have seen the meeting Pam Tucker had with the tattoo people. Tattoos running all the way up their arms onto their necks, piercings in their eyelids, lips and tongues while Tucker tries to keep a straight face.

But, seriously, they should be required to use this type ink that can be easily removed:

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/02/11 - 09:09 am
I once put a fake tattoo

I once put a fake tattoo right over my breast.....my daughters nearly flipped out----What was I thinking they said.......what world was I living in they said.....Had I lost my mind they said....haha.. funny, I finally told them the truth just to get them to simmer down. :)

pollypocket
pollypocket 03/02/11 - 10:28 am
Its about time an ordinance

Its about time an ordinance like this is put in place. Also glad it is in Richmond County too because that is where underage children were going (in one place in particular for sure) to get tattoos in unsanitary conditions!

reader54
reader54 03/02/11 - 11:59 am
Seenit: No accompanying

Seenit: No accompanying photos? :{

seenitB4
seenitB4 03/02/11 - 12:15 pm
Now Reader.....don't want to

Now Reader.....don't want to rock your world too much....worried about that ole ticker...ya know! LOL

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 03/02/11 - 08:11 pm
We are fortunate to have Pam

We are fortunate to have Pam Tucker; she does a great job. The new ordinance is a wise move to protect the foolish. I know, some of you have tatoos and numerous piercings and will start yelling any minute. I am certain you are the exception...and very bright.