Eight of the 15 biggest delinquent Richmond County property tax bills listed in a recent Augusta Chronicle article have been paid, and several other large accounts were paid in the process.
Wade Doggett, the CEO of Properties Management Group of Greensboro, N.C., has paid two delinquent bills in the top 15 and another one that didn't make the list.
Doggett told The Chronicle on Wednesday that the checks would be sent that day to pay a $92,525.62 delinquent tax bill for Iron Horse Apartments on Stevens Creek Road and a $63,761.28 overdue bill for Spicewood Apartments on Wheeler Road. Those accounts were paid Friday, along with another PMG tax bill for $35,867.01 on Thornberry Apartments at 3204 Skinner Mill Road.
Another company paid a delinquent tax bill that was 13th on the list, as well as bills that were overdue for six other properties. Jerath Hospitality LLC, DBA Comfort Inn, 1455 Walton Way, paid $48,475.37 in real estate taxes Thursday, as well as $8,911.59 in personal property taxes. Jerath also paid:
- a $19,204 tax bill for property at 1103 15th St.
- an $1,822 personal property tax bill for 1103 15th St.
- a $17,958.72 tax bill for property at 2626 Peach Orchard Road
- a $1,622.13 personal property tax bill for 2626 Peach Orchard Road
On Nov. 30, FPL Foods LLC, DBA Shapiro Meat Packing, paid two delinquent tax bills that were on the top-15 list -- $64,293.43 on real estate at 1301 N. Savannah Road and $54,788.28 on personal property and inventory at 1150 Fifth St.
Other bills paid include:
- USPG Portfolio One LLC, $108,876.64 in real estate taxes on the Sam's building at 596 Bobby Jones Expressway on Nov. 22.
- USPG Portfolio One, $82,895.62 in late real estate taxes on the Walmart building at 594 Bobby Jones Expressway.
- AOA Investment Co. LLC for Augusta Oncology, 3606 Wheeler Road, $44,312.40.
Still unpaid are:
- The top delinquent account of $143,716.96 on National Hills shopping center at 2701 Washington Road, owned by Abernathy Timberlake Investment Group.
- RDC Properties LLC, which owes $92,048.65 for the SunTrust Building at 801 Broad St.
- RDC Properties LLC, $69,983.91 for the Lamar Building at 753 Broad St.
- USPG Portfolio One LLC, $61,179.69 on a portion of Walmart in Richmond County at 590 Bobby Jones Expressway.
- Purohit & Associates LLC, $59,033.10 for the Staybridge Hotel and Suites, 2540 Center West Parkway.
- USA, DBA Huron Tech Chemical, 2360 Doug Barnard Parkway, $58,348.12.
- Cascades Pointe at Augusta LLC for College Station Apartments, 3105 Wrightsboro Road, $39,466.84. The property is now controlled by Hediger Enterprises.
Augusta hotelier Jugal Purohit, owner of Staybridge Hotel & Suites and four other hotels in Augusta, said that his property taxes will be paid but that he does not have the money to pay them now because of the economy.
Purohit said if his businesses fold 60 people will lose their jobs and Richmond County will lose $750,000 in taxes. He also said taxes on two of his hotels are not due until Jan. 15.