Children removed from Columbia County commissioner's home

Child, 17, also reported missing

Special
Marlin “Lilly” Dean, 17, believed to have run away

Columbia County authorities removed four children from the home of county Commissioner Scott Dean on Wednesday.

At about 6 p.m., Columbia County sheriff’s deputies escorted a county Division of Family and Children Services case worker to the Dean home at 320 N. Hicks Street in Harlem, said Columbia County sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris.

“Four children were removed from the home and later released to a family member,” Morris said.

Morris would not comment on why the children were removed from the home, and did not supply the name of the family member to whom they were returned.

A claim made to DFCS is still under investigation, said Dena Smith, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Human Services, which oversees DFCS.

Smith said she could not give details of the claim, who made it, or the status of the children.

Claims can be made to DFCS anonymously or by a child, relative, teacher, neighbor, doctor or anyone else who believes abuse or neglect of a child is occurring, Smith said.

When a claim comes in, officials start an investigation, which typically involves a visit to the home. If the case worker decides the child or children are not safe, they will be removed from the home and placed with other family members or a foster family, Smith said.

“There is no typical (situation),” she said. “Every case is very individual. Child welfare is not a science in the sense that we’re talking about each individual family being different than the next family, each child being different than the next.”

Dean, and his wife, Renee, have seven children, five of whom they adopted from Guatemala in 2008.

A woman who answered Dean’s cell phone identified herself as family spokeswoman Sarah Scott.

Scott said, “We don’t really have a whole lot of comment. It is what it is.”

Police also said today they are looking for one of the Deans’ five adopted children, Marlin “Lilly” Dean, who is a suspected runaway. The 17-year-old was last seen Oct. 19 near the Augusta Mall, Morris said.

Anyone with information about Marlin’s whereabouts should call the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office at (706) 541-2800.

bdouglas
bdouglas 10/28/10 - 01:48 pm
Ruh roh! A "spokeswoman"

Ruh roh! A "spokeswoman" with nothing to say, eh? Guess that wouldn't make you a spokeswoman...

Chillen
Chillen 10/28/10 - 01:51 pm
Wow. It must be bad.

Wow. It must be bad.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/28/10 - 01:52 pm
If anyone has made any false

If anyone has made any false accusations against this family (and btw, any other family) I hope he or she roasts in the appropriate place for that sort of thing.

follower 10/28/10 - 01:59 pm
There is obviously an issue,

There is obviously an issue, but let's do the right thing and withhold judgement as there seem to be absolutely zero facts out there for the public at this time.

Kids lives hang in the balance. Prayers on their behalf are in order.

penahoo
penahoo 10/28/10 - 02:20 pm
AutumnLeaves you are so

AutumnLeaves you are so right. I know firsthand of false accusations just because of people being mean spirited or a personal axe to grind. Prayers for the Dean family.

a different drum
a different drum 10/28/10 - 02:54 pm
I don't know anything about

I don't know anything about this case. I do know that people can make false accusations in cases like this and cause a lot of trouble and the law protects them. Personally, I think people should have a day in court and face their accusers before their children are taken away from them!

a different drum
a different drum 10/28/10 - 03:02 pm
The newspaper makes no

airbud7
airbud7 10/28/10 - 03:04 pm
Could be the Guatemalan

Could be the Guatemalan Goverment????

flipa
flipa 10/28/10 - 03:09 pm
Anybody can say anything

Anybody can say anything about anybody at any time, and SOME TAX PAID just jump on it without checking their sources or anything. That's why we need to get back to innocent until proven guilty or at least the facts established in a court of law by a JURY OF YOUR PEERS not all this SUMMARY JUDGEMENT that has REPLACED our legal system.

Farmboy
Farmboy 10/28/10 - 03:10 pm
WHY! WHY! WHY! WHY! WHY!

WHY! WHY! WHY! WHY! WHY!

Chillen
Chillen 10/28/10 - 03:24 pm
I feel sure that law

I feel sure that law enforcement considered this very carefully before proceeding due to the nature of his position in the county.

Time will tell what really happened so I will refrain from speculating innocence or guilt.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 10/28/10 - 03:26 pm
Mr. Dean says that it is

Mr. Dean says that it is what it is. I hope that he releases a statement with some kind of explanation so rumors don't run wild. Otherwise, it looks like he is trying to hide something. We will have to wait on more details but somethin's cooking if they weren't returned to his house and released to a family member.

a different drum
a different drum 10/28/10 - 03:29 pm
In my personal opinion the

a different drum
a different drum 10/28/10 - 03:38 pm
Puppymomma -- Mr. Dean may

Puppymomma -- Mr. Dean may not know anything -- these DFCS people may not have told him anything. That is the way they operate. You should listen to talk radio -- this stuff goes on all over the country.

ruach
ruach 10/28/10 - 03:36 pm
DFCS is a joke...they aren't

DFCS is a joke...they aren't about children or families.

corgimom
corgimom 10/28/10 - 03:37 pm
"In my personal opinion the

"In my personal opinion the DFCS's people do more harm than they do good. I think DFCS is a waste of tax payer’s money and should be abolished."

Sure, let abused and neglected children fend for themselves, right?

And when they die, then what?

By the Way . . .
By the Way . . . 10/28/10 - 03:38 pm
Can someone please translate

Can someone please translate "IT IS WHAT IT IS" for me? Thank you!

corgimom
corgimom 10/28/10 - 03:41 pm
"The newspaper makes no

"The newspaper makes no mention of a warrant or court order. It makes it sound like they just showed up at the house and took the children."

If DFCS asked for an escort, yes, they had a court order.

Why would you expect the newspaper to mention that, when people can figure it out for themselves?

a different drum
a different drum 10/28/10 - 03:43 pm
Corqimon -- are you saying

Corqimon -- are you saying the Deans children were abused and neglected children fending for themselves? Do you know something we don't?

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 10/28/10 - 03:50 pm
If DFCS removed the children

If DFCS removed the children last night then Mr. Dean should have some kind of clue, by today, of what it is regarding to. If not, then I would have legal representation looking at it and my options. I'm not deriding him, he is innocent in my book until proven otherwise. He is a public figure and should be aware that the news will have picked up this info. No one wants to see children uprooted from their home for unfounded reasons.

a different drum
a different drum 10/28/10 - 03:55 pm
corqimom -- The newspaper

corqimom -- The newspaper made no mention of a court order -- I am not as well acquainted (thank God) with the DFCS procedures as you are. Reading the article it appeared to me that they just showed up at the house and took the children. I think the Dean Family deserves the benefit of the doubt in this case until proven otherwise.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 10/28/10 - 03:54 pm
Went to another website. Mr.

Went to another website. Mr. Dean does have an attorney-Pete Theodocian. I think I spelled the name wrong. Anyways, he had no comment.

Lawpig
Lawpig 10/28/10 - 04:18 pm
Corgimom is right. I don't

Corgimom is right. I don't think DFACS can just show up and take children without a court order. Unless, they can show it is an emergency situation and there is no time to get a court order. Might have been the case here.

Either way, to suggest that DFACS does more harm than good is to ignore the fact that there are abused children who need the protection of the community.

a different drum
a different drum 10/28/10 - 04:16 pm
Lawpig -- that is just mine

Lawpig -- that is just mine opinion, but I am sincere about it -- don't get bent out of shape. My openion don’t count for anything – I am just one person. corgimom -- may be correct about the court order, but the newspaper made no mention of it.

Lawpig
Lawpig 10/28/10 - 04:23 pm
I'm not bent out of shape.

I'm not bent out of shape. Didn't mean to imply that I was. It could be a great misunderstanding. I hope it is. I was more addressing the comment that DFACS does more harm than good.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 10/28/10 - 04:26 pm
double standard, knew a

double standard, knew a comment like yours would be stated. Actually, I thought the same thing but I guess it is what it is.

a different drum
a different drum 10/28/10 - 04:32 pm
Lawpig -- it was a great

Lawpig -- it was a great misunderstand -- it was good for me was it good for you (I am having a cigarette). I am just kidding -- no problem here.

a different drum
a different drum 10/28/10 - 04:35 pm
Lawpig -- I am biased - I

Lawpig -- I am biased - I don't like the DFCS or what ever you call it.

LC87
LC87 10/28/10 - 04:38 pm
Television and the news make

Television and the news make us think that children can be taken from their parents just from accusations and assumptions. In truth, it takes alot to have DFCS come out and actually remove children from their parents. Its not done on a whim, as tv would make you think.

a different drum