Government

More News | | | Editor

Workers demoted for fudging hours

Two Richmond County Recreation Department employees have been demoted for falsifying the time worked by community service workers under their authority at Garrett Gymnasium, said department Director Tom Beck.

According to Beck, Angelo Collier, an 11-year city employee, was demoted from property and maintenance supervisor in charge of inventory control at the maintenance shop to maintenance worker one.

Jerald Smith, a six-year employee, was demoted from recreation specialist three at Garrett to an entry-level programmer position.

The scam was detected in July by the probation officer responsible for keeping up with the community service workers' hours. The officer noticed on time sheets that the probationers had worked hours he knew they hadn't, and Beck was notified. When questioned, Collier and Smith admitted their guilt, Beck said.

The two were placed on administrative leave, and Beck recommended termination, but after meeting with administrators and human resources, they opted for demotion effective Aug. 20, Beck said.

hopefulinaugusta
hopefulinaugusta 09/01/10 - 01:58 am
Lesson learned I hope.

Lesson learned I hope.

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 09/01/10 - 05:33 am
You don't get to change the

You don't get to change the rules without risking penalty, unless you're the boss.

trimmy
trimmy 09/01/10 - 06:11 am
Fire 'em all! Give their

Fire 'em all! Give their jobs to honest people.

resident
resident 09/01/10 - 06:18 am
Just another example of the

Just another example of the stupidity of RC human resources. They violated court orders or contributed to the violation of. This deserves firing min. This is just an example of RC keeping criminals on the payroll. They wonder why they are broke. They should have been fred and had to server community service themselves for the hours the defrauded and allowed punishments to be avoided on. I am sure there are planty of HONEST people that could have used the job instead of liars and cheaters. Let me guess they can say they aree family men and good church going christans too as most of them always try to play or maybe even a race card thing.

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 09/01/10 - 06:29 am
So many honest ,hard working

So many honest ,hard working people out there who would work hard at this or any job and these lazy,dishonest people are scamming the county! what a shame!

corgimom
corgimom 09/01/10 - 07:34 am
"Ange-o Co--ier" What? Does

"Ange-o Co--ier"

What? Does that mean that now I'm Cor--m-m?

*********************************
This isn't about employees; this is about people who are on probation doing community service as part of a court order and falsification of records used by a court of law. Why isn't this a prosecutable matter?

getalife
getalife 09/01/10 - 07:40 am
Since this was about their

Since this was about their overseeing community service workers and falsifying those records, did maybe these two recreation workers also falsify their own time cards??

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/01/10 - 07:48 am
Perhaps these workers attend

Perhaps these workers attend religious services at "The Rev." Larry Fryer's church (see yesterday's letter to the editor). "The Rev." preaches that we must do everything possible to aid and abet those released from prison, even when aiding and abetting is criminal.

mom5gram5
mom5gram5 09/01/10 - 07:52 am
they need to be checking the

they need to be checking the hours at Lake Olmstead, heard they give you more than you work....

NotReally21
NotReally21 09/01/10 - 08:03 am
This is Obama's fault they

This is Obama's fault they cheated, how many more are doing it. I simply fault Obama.

gnumbgnuts
gnumbgnuts 09/01/10 - 08:04 am
It would be interesting to

It would be interesting to see what RC's actual policy (if they have policies) states about falsifying time.

sueboo418
sueboo418 09/01/10 - 08:23 am
Prosecutable matter???

Prosecutable matter??? Paleeeease. Yes, what they did was wrong and they should be reprimanded or fired for the wrongdoing but personally I don't want my hard earned tax dollars wasted on this in court!!

john
john 09/01/10 - 08:30 am
notreally, please stop with

notreally, please stop with the ODS. you know its really Bush's fault. Stop the hate

ispy4u
ispy4u 09/01/10 - 09:50 am
It's George Washington's

It's George Washington's fault? Makes just as much sense.

maggiemae
maggiemae 09/01/10 - 09:17 am
Why does Richmond County

Why does Richmond County suffer dishonesty. This is not the first time. Who is in charge here?

maggiemae
maggiemae 09/01/10 - 09:20 am
sueboo..You would prefer your

sueboo..You would prefer your tax dollars go to pay cheaters than ....what was it again ?

Chillen
Chillen 09/01/10 - 09:23 am
I would have fired them. But

I would have fired them. But the protected class working for the government gets different rules.

urright
urright 09/01/10 - 09:43 am
It's Angelo Collier, or at

It's Angelo Collier, or at least that makes sense. I wonder how much they got paid to falsify the records? Nobody does anything for free. It was not prosecutable because the probation office in question is a private business, not a gov't entity.

peonynut
peonynut 09/01/10 - 09:50 am
Julian Smith Casino does the

Julian Smith Casino does the same thing and even when you blow the whistle nothing is done about it.

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 09/01/10 - 10:08 am
I am so sick and tired of

I am so sick and tired of these demotions of which those employees should have been fired. Commiting 2 infractions actually because they were falsifying records of probationationers that opted to community service instead of actally paying their fines. Are there any honest folk in this county government???

sueboo418
sueboo418 09/01/10 - 10:09 am
Maggie, reprimand or FIRE

Maggie, reprimand or FIRE them. They got demoted which is allot more than REAL criminals get in court so no I don't want my tax dollars being wasted on this.

sueboo418
sueboo418 09/01/10 - 10:12 am
And furthermore, we have

And furthermore, we have murderers waiting years before their case even goes to court and then we are going to have these kinds of BS trials going on?? Sorry, but I think if something like this goes to court it's a BIG waste of allot of people's time. Fire them and move on.

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 09/01/10 - 10:14 am
I agree with firing them.

I agree with firing them. They're actaully getting another chance to deceive and cheat the government and taxpayers. Prosecute them and they are out of there, it's over!!!

to tell the truth1
to tell the truth1 09/01/10 - 10:17 am
sueboo, murderers are tried

sueboo, murderers are tried in criminal court, this will be small claims, the docket on this is probably pretty heavy so one more shouldn't make that much of a difference...

JackBootedThug
JackBootedThug 09/01/10 - 10:41 am
What the heck does it take to

What the heck does it take to get fired while working for Richmond County gubment? I guess they have a whole different set of rules than private enterprise. Maybe scared of getting sued? Is this another case of making sure no jewels fall out of their EEOC crown? Not sure...

sueboo418
sueboo418 09/01/10 - 10:51 am
Well I guess I'm just a bad

Well I guess I'm just a bad person, but I just don't see this being worth going to court for. Fire them or if for whatever reason you can't then demote them (which has already been done) and put someone else in charge that will make sure these folks actually work the hours that is reported to the probation officers.

heed4108
heed4108 09/01/10 - 10:57 am
@ Little Lamb. I read Rev.

@ Little Lamb. I read Rev. Fryer's letter to the editor. Did you? Not at one time did he say we needed to aid and abet criminals even if it's illegal? He actually encouraged the person he was talking about to do the right thing and turn himself in.

What he was actually talking about is the fact that convicted felons who have served their time cannot find gainful employment once they are released because 1) they do not have all of their rights as citizens fully restored, and 2) many companies will not hire persons who are convicted felons regardless of the crime or the time served.

I thank God that I'm in a position to help these people get back to work. I don't hold their past crimes against them and hire them whenever I can. My reason for doing this is simple. If they are coming to you, seeking employment, then they actually WANT to work and do NOT want to return to a life of crime. I've had a 100% success rate with these individuals. They do not return to a life of crime because they are gainfully employed and can take care of themselves and their family.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/01/10 - 10:57 am
SueBoo suggests that "someone

SueBoo suggests that "someone else" should be put in charge of supervising the community service hours that probationers put in. Since it is the judges who hand out the community service sentences, I say that it should be those same judges who supervise that the service actually gets done! You certainly will not get anything of quality if you make it the responsibility of Fred (What, me worry?) Russell.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/01/10 - 11:02 am
I'm all in favor of released

I'm all in favor of released prisoners going back to work. I am not in favor of changing Georgia laws to restore automatically all civil rights when a prisoner is released on probation. "The Rev's" letter was riddled with so many inconsistencies that it fell apart on its own words.

gordon30813
gordon30813 09/01/10 - 11:17 am
I really dont understand

I really dont understand this. Some Richmond County Employees keep showing they are not honest but the people in power keep them employed. This is definitely unfair to the honest employees and to the tax payers who are paying their salaries. Fire these crooks and hire some honest people who are looking for work. Second chances are for minor infractions of rules but there should be no second chances for what actually amounts to theft.