Government

More News | | | Editor

No slavery apology, Ga. speaker says

ATLANTA - - Efforts by Rep. Al Williams, D-Midway, to pass a resolution with the state's official apology for its role in slavery prior to the Civil War hit a major hurdle with news that a key state leader is opposed.
House Speaker David Ralston told an Atlanta public radio station he is against the idea.
Responding to a question on WABE-FM, Ralston said Williams is focused on the wrong direction.
"I'm about looking to the future. I'm not about looking to the past," Ralston said. "When you turn around and look backward, it invites a whole lot of issues, and I think we've got too much work to do, frankly, now to afford to do that."
Williams didn't have any better luck with Ralston's predecessor as the House's presiding officer. The apology never made it out of committee when Glenn Richardson was speaker.
Ralston campaigned for the job following Richardson's resignation with promises of healing and cooperation, leading some apology supporters to speculate that their chances might be improved this year with the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War next year.

chascush
chascush 02/25/10 - 08:30 am
disssman, Why don't the

disssman, Why don't the people next door call the cops?

chascush
chascush 02/25/10 - 09:17 am
jhall, you are correct racism

jhall, you are correct racism still runs wild in Georgia. But it is mostly among blacks. When blacks are made supervisors they hire only blacks. Look at the Atlanta Airport. I changed planes there a couple of weeks ago. I notice that all the people that worked in and for the airport were black. I walked around and counted 63 people that worked in or for the airport, 60 were black 3 were white. Also jhall you have a huge racial chip on your shoulder. Racism works both ways although it seems only whites can be called racist.

bettyboop
bettyboop 02/25/10 - 10:10 am
Immigrants built

Immigrants built America...not blacks.

livinginthebuckle
livinginthebuckle 02/25/10 - 10:26 am
Those who want an apology -

Those who want an apology -

You chose to stay and make this your home. You continue to live here and benefit from all the perks available to citizens in this country. I'm sorry to inform you, but that makes you one of "us." You are as much responsible for slavery as I am (I never owned slaves and neither did you) So, technically, you owe yourselves the apology.

RoadKing09
RoadKing09 02/25/10 - 11:15 am
Sorry, not!

Sorry, not!

RoadKing09
RoadKing09 02/25/10 - 11:16 am
Sorry,.....,... not!

Sorry,.....,... not!

RoadKing09
RoadKing09 02/25/10 - 11:16 am
Sorry,......... not!

Sorry,......... not!

butler123
butler123 02/25/10 - 12:22 pm
I have a lot of Indian blood

I have a lot of Indian blood in me. My great grandmother was full-blooded Kickapoo. A tribe off of the Comanche. I'm sorry to all the descendants of all the white people my ancestors slaughtered.

butler123
butler123 02/25/10 - 11:35 am
How many black people who

How many black people who live in America don't have a little white or some other ethnicity in them? Should the white blood in me apologize to the Indian in me?

livinginthebuckle
livinginthebuckle 02/25/10 - 05:03 pm
I looked up some figures on

I looked up some figures on Wiki, so let's have some fun with math.

In 1860, the average price of a slave was $450. A dollar in 1860 is worth about $22 today, so that brings it up to $9900. There were approximately 3,950,000 slaves in the US at that time.

Let's be generous and award each slave an even $10,000 in reparations (to be split x-ways amongst each slave's current living descendants). This gives us a total of $39.5 billion due in reparations.

Now subtract from the descendant's portions -

All federal subsidy funds provided to these descendants (welfare, medicaid, government housing, social security, food stamps etc.)

Then require these descendants to refund the difference between their share of the $10,000 and the amount of money they've received from the Federal Government. The Feds then refund it equally to all the remaining taxpayers who are not descendants of slaves.

I'm thinking I'd come out ahead on that deal.

[To clarify, slavery isn't fun, math is.]

lcman
lcman 02/25/10 - 03:14 pm
I want an apology for

I want an apology for Affirmative Action! It is unfair, and racist. PERIOD!

libertarianvoter
libertarianvoter 02/25/10 - 03:22 pm
Gotta respond to an earlier

Gotta respond to an earlier post:
"eachoneteachone, I agree all of the slaves are dead but their children live on. Slavery itself may have ended with the signing of the emancipation proclamation, but it didn’t end all together. There was a replacement for it in the form of black codes, Jim Crow laws and various other means of preventing a group people specifically “Blacks” from succeeding in this country. Now, personally I don’t care if the state of Georgia apologises for slavery, but I do support those people that feel it is important to have the state apologize for slavery."

1. The Emancipation Proclamation did not end slavery, the 13th Amendment did. The EP was used as a military strategy to help the North win the war by freeing only the slaves in the Confederate South. This was when the war went from being about multiple issues to being famously about slavery. It made the Confederates lose formal recognition from the UK as being a separate nation b/c supporting the Confederates would have = supporting slavery. Lincoln used the EP to basically make anyone who even kind of agreed with the Confederates be viewed as people that were pro-slavery (even if they weren't).

2. The Black Codes were the closest thing to slavery that former slave owners could get without it actually being called "slavery."

3. The Jim Crow laws lasted for a very long time, and we have people alive today that lived through these. The Jim Crow laws unnecessarily separated blacks from whites, and kept the blacks under the whites.

4. The South was not the only region trying to prevent black and white relations. The North and wealthy Southerners knowingly used tactics to separate white and black farmers at the turn of the century in order to maintain their wealth and not face any competition in political issues. The uneducated are always the easiest to manipulate, and unfortunately back then, that was the poor Southern whites and the blacks.

mable8
mable8 02/25/10 - 04:10 pm
The idea of apologizing for

The idea of apologizing for what occurred in history is ridiculous. While the good senator wants to apologize for the ownership of slaves, it is noted he forgot, somehow, that this does not include those non-whites who owned more slaves than the neighboring white plantation owner and those who owned slaves in the Northern States. History happened; learn from it and do what is necessary so the events have no opportunity to recur.

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 02/25/10 - 04:38 pm
In order to apologize for

In order to apologize for something you have to be truly sorry.

butler123
butler123 02/25/10 - 05:51 pm
Boogaloo, I think you are

Boogaloo, I think you are right. Are we sorry that it happened? Yes. Did we have any control over it? No

Roeschen
Roeschen 02/25/10 - 06:20 pm
I am Lakota. Born and raised

I am Lakota. Born and raised on an Indian Reservation. Are the whites going to apologize to me for killing my ancestors? Are the Buffalo soldiers or their descendents going to apologize to me for raiding my villages? For the atrocities they committed? Are the good Christians going to apologize to me for taking my grandfather from his home, sending him to a missionary school far from his native land where he was beaten into submission, starved, and not allowed to see his family again for 14 years? No? Then certainly do not expect an apology from me. My husband was Cherokee. Are his children going to get an apology for all of the atrocities that happened to their Cherokee ancestors at the hands of the whites? No? How about reparations. After all, their ancestral homes were stolen from them. I still believe that if blacks in Africa had not sold other Africans to slave runners, slavery could not have existed. Get over it. There are so many more important issues at hand than slavery. BTW, Blacks received their citizenship and the right to vote in this country long before Native Americans.

JoeWillie
JoeWillie 02/25/10 - 06:59 pm
First the descendants of the

First the descendants of the slave holders and the non slave holders who supported the slave system will apologize, then you will be compelled to pay each African-American in the state of Georgia $1 million dollars each in tax free reparational payments. Our enslaved ancestors worked for 243 years without any pay. The whole caucasoid race benefited and profited from the slave system and the racism and white supremacy that accompanied it. Now we African-Americans who descended from our enslaved ancestors demand to be paid, big time !!!

wyochuck
wyochuck 02/25/10 - 07:18 pm
joewillie-are you serious-or

joewillie-are you serious-or just trying to get things going again on this thread ??

wyochuck
wyochuck 02/25/10 - 07:25 pm
joewillie-how do you prove

joewillie-how do you prove that somebody is a descendant of a slave holder? where does this 1 million for each black person come from?

luckie
luckie 02/25/10 - 08:16 pm
I don't have a problem with

I don't have a problem with anyone wanting to celebrate their heritage and ancestory. However, with Black History Month in Richmond County schools, it takes priority over education. There are just entirely too many things that are going on that it becomes a nuisance and everyone cannot wait until February is over with. Administrators and the Board need to limit activities and leave it to the teachers to teach the history.

wyochuck
wyochuck 02/25/10 - 08:26 pm
luckie-black history month is

luckie-black history month is discrimination. what happened to white history month, or indian history month ??

chascush
chascush 02/25/10 - 09:00 pm
Joewillie is just like Obama

Joewillie is just like Obama they believe in handouts.

chascush
chascush 02/25/10 - 09:03 pm
JoeWillie don’t hold your

JoeWillie don’t hold your breath until you get your million although Obama is trying.

wyochuck
wyochuck 02/25/10 - 09:45 pm
joewillie-i started writing

joewillie-i started writing checks tonight, $1, it is all i can afford. what address to send them to? kinda like steve martin in the movie, "the jerk"

reality_bites
reality_bites 02/26/10 - 10:10 am
Wounds heal. The people

Wounds heal. The people living today are not the ones sold into slavery. For all of you who stated apologizing will not change what happened is so very true. This to me is on the same line of those parents of a lighter color still teaching their children that people of darker colors are beneath them. Last I checked, we are all human with the same blood running through our veins. When you are on the operating table, I don't think doctor's are saying this one can take only white blood because they are white or black because they are black. We need to get over this.