Government

More News | | | Editor

No slavery apology, Ga. speaker says

ATLANTA - - Efforts by Rep. Al Williams, D-Midway, to pass a resolution with the state's official apology for its role in slavery prior to the Civil War hit a major hurdle with news that a key state leader is opposed.
House Speaker David Ralston told an Atlanta public radio station he is against the idea.
Responding to a question on WABE-FM, Ralston said Williams is focused on the wrong direction.
"I'm about looking to the future. I'm not about looking to the past," Ralston said. "When you turn around and look backward, it invites a whole lot of issues, and I think we've got too much work to do, frankly, now to afford to do that."
Williams didn't have any better luck with Ralston's predecessor as the House's presiding officer. The apology never made it out of committee when Glenn Richardson was speaker.
Ralston campaigned for the job following Richardson's resignation with promises of healing and cooperation, leading some apology supporters to speculate that their chances might be improved this year with the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War next year.

doinkland
doinkland 02/24/10 - 09:42 pm
Again, I am impressed with

Again, I am impressed with the arrogance, ignorance, sympathy, and empathy of the readers of this newspaper!! We as a society are quick to call for apologies from politicians, religious leaders, athletes, and any other individual who we think has done something wrong, but we do not want to apologize for slavery. I think it is very hypocritical of everyone who does not wish for there to be a formal apology. Even though slavery formally ended over a 100 years ago, simply stating that it was sol long ago we should aplogize for it is stupid. Finally, for those that think there are too many other issues to be concerned with, it would probably take less than a week to get the measure passed. I am a black man who is proud of his heritage and do not care about repartions. I work hard to support my family and we are productive members of society.

tnjsw
tnjsw 02/24/10 - 09:43 pm
It is not the apology they

It is not the apology they want, it is to beat the white man further down. They could care less if we say we are sorry for what happened many years ago. By the way maybe the black people in Africa that sold the slaves to the white man sould say we are sorry for what our kin did. Forget it and move on.

wyochuck
wyochuck 02/24/10 - 09:50 pm
doinkland--too many other

doinkland--too many other problems facing our nation to start this apologize for slavery thing.

jhall96
jhall96 02/24/10 - 09:52 pm
It doesn't surprise me one

It doesn't surprise me one bit that there would be those in Georgia or America that would oppose an apology because none of this had an effect on those that oppose it. To read someone's statement saying that slavery was legal back then so why apologize speaks volumes about the type of people out there. Was it right to take a race of people captive and force them into slavery to build a nation? That's just as ridiculous as Columbus claiming to discover America when Indians were occupying the land long before he got here. To say that let the past be the past is an insult! An entire race was deprived of their culture as a result of slavery...so it does have an effect on today's generation because every black person here lost that experience. My question is, what bad can come from a simple apology? Are white folks in Georgia too proud to say that they got it wrong? Racism still runs wild in Georgia...just look up the Genarlow Wilson incident! The reason why so many oppose an apology is because an apology would be an admission of guilt.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/24/10 - 10:01 pm
Same comment posted

Same comment posted 02/20/2010.....This is an APOLOGY from me, my children, all their future children's and all past members of my Ancestry tree to all you today slaves in America. It is a disgrace the way all you today slaves are being treated, I apologize for that also. If only all my white ancestry descendants had not bought and sold all of you today slaves, you could all be living in a much better environment and a more respectable decent country and have the freedom you so much deserve. I again APOLOGIZE.

doinkland
doinkland 02/24/10 - 10:06 pm
Wyochuck- Once again, you and

Wyochuck- Once again, you and those that think like you just don't get it. To quote the Medal of Honor recipient COL (ret) Jack Jacobs, "IF NOT NOW, WHEN?" If I'm following your logic, there will never be an apology for slavery. Oh, my bad, you don't want one!!

wyochuck
wyochuck 02/24/10 - 10:09 pm
abraham lincoln on the

abraham lincoln on the history channel today. excellent series. good white people back in those days did away with slavery. the freed slaves stayed on the farm. well taken care of. then times changed. they assumed a regular life-according to our constitution.

jhall96
jhall96 02/24/10 - 10:10 pm
GreenJacket - The jacked up

GreenJacket - The jacked up legal system that preys on young black men would be the reason for men of color being in jail at alarming numbers. Why would black people apologize for living in a system that was created and still being nurtured by their oppressor? Hell, white folks didn't even want blacks learning to read because they knew that black folks would use that knowledge as power. Don't get it twisted either, there are plenty of poor, dumb, white folks involved in crime, in jail and living off the system...your news stations won't report this though. Good wholesome white kids are dope smokers, dropouts, dead beat dads and so on. It funny how crack wasn't a problem until white folks got hooked on it or how the system is designed to give a street level dealer life in prison when the folks responsible for flying dope into the country get a pass. Why do you think Black History is only focused on one month out of the year instead of year round? White folks don't wanna be reminded of the horrible actions that black folks suffered at the hands of their race. Black people didn't just arrive or develope some of the conditions that we live in...we had help! So please get off your soap box and spare me the talk about the collapse of the black family and such because every race has their broken homes...the magnifying glass is just always on black families.

wyochuck
wyochuck 02/24/10 - 10:11 pm
doinkland--call africa, ask

doinkland--call africa, ask them why they sold each each other to the british.

wyochuck
wyochuck 02/24/10 - 10:17 pm
jhall96-people get thrown in

jhall96-people get thrown in jail for breaking the law.-period. nothing to do with black or white.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/24/10 - 10:17 pm
All those today slaves that

All those today slaves that are demanding an apology should all get together and write to their so called president and tell him they deserve an increase in all the subsidize benefits for the way they are being treated. I really hate the way our today slaves are being treated. I am sure he would sign such a bill.

reb007
reb007 02/24/10 - 10:19 pm
Apologize??? When the North

Apologize??? When the North apologizes for what Sherman did to the South, then maybe. But the more I think about it, Hell NO

doinkland
doinkland 02/24/10 - 10:24 pm
Wyochuk - Let's be accurate

Wyochuk - Let's be accurate on the introduction of slavery to the Europeans. it was the Portuguese that brought slavery to Europe and then the practice spread to the Americas from there.

jhall96
jhall96 02/24/10 - 10:27 pm
wyochuck - You're seriously

wyochuck - You're seriously falling asleep at the wheel if you think the justice system is fair to black people. Take a look at the disparities in our prisons...they are flooded with black folks...not everyone of them has committed a crime...unless that crime was being black. Almost every day there is a story of some black man getting released from jail after being falsely accused of raping some white woman. DNA may have cleared him but he can never get those years back. Emmett Till's whistled at a white woman and was tortured and then killed at 14yrs old. His killers were caught but the good ole boy network let them go. So please excuse me if I don't buy your brand. Oh, and it was Jamaicans that sold out the Africans...not the inhabitants of Africa....please learn your history! However, black is black, so there were some that aided your people with enslaving other blacks. What choice did they have though? Either help or become slaves as well....what would you do?

usafvet
usafvet 02/24/10 - 10:37 pm
I have never met a child of a

I have never met a child of a slave. I have never met a person who owned slaves. No, we don't owe apologies, and more importantly,,,,we do not owe reparations. I want folks out there to have the rights I have had. Work for what you get, save your money for that rainy day, and now, fight for your rights to keep what is yours. We working people have already made greater contributions than we should have through all the social programs.

jhall96
jhall96 02/24/10 - 10:38 pm
Cobaltgeorge - I bet you

Cobaltgeorge - I bet you almost swallowed your tongue when Obama got elected! But its funny how he is mending bridges that were once burned by previous so-called presidents. It's like that all around the world though homeboy, I can go anywhere and be welcomed as a brother...can you say the same? It's people like you that stand in the way of true progress but you can't stop it buddy...it's destined! The sad thing is that there are people just like you in our congress that would rather stand in the way of what's right simply because your leader (whether you like to admit it or not) has a darker shade of skin....so so sad. The true insult to you must be the knowledge that black people alone did not get Obama in office...we just don't have the numbers!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/24/10 - 10:48 pm
jhall96, I feel that you

jhall96, I feel that you think I am a racist....So Very Wrong...I am not going to repeat my many past opinions as to why I hate this so called president, and I can assure you that it is not because of his SKIN COLOR. Your 8:52, 9:10 post makes you a racist by your own words.

wyochuck
wyochuck 02/24/10 - 10:51 pm
jhall96-you are right in

jhall96-you are right in regards to d.n.a testing-people falsely accused. barry sheck had quite a story from oklahoma. white people released from prison. does not happen just to blacks. now in the modern justice system things should be much better.

Dan White 02/24/10 - 10:58 pm
wyochuck and doinkland - it

wyochuck and doinkland - it goes further back than black chiefs in Africa selling those whom they vanquished and imprisoned. It goes back to the days when Muslims in North Africa traffiked in human beings traveling across the Sahara into West Africa and then bringing them back to North Africa for sale and trade to Europeans across the Mediterranean. The Muslim traders started the African slave trade and then Portugal picked up on it and used them on their island plantations off the coast of Portugal.

wyochuck
wyochuck 02/24/10 - 10:57 pm
jhall96--harry reid, senate

jhall96--harry reid, senate majority leader said that barack was a light colored negro. does that mean that a darker colored negro might not be elected. all ridiculous to me. liberal media gave harry reid no coverage on that racial remark.

wyochuck
wyochuck 02/24/10 - 10:59 pm
greenjacket--thanks for the

greenjacket--thanks for the history lesson. my point is that in ancient times slavery was quite common.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 02/24/10 - 11:06 pm
greenjacket, Who but you and

greenjacket, Who but you and a few other todays slaves really love history. Slavery is History. Period.

wyochuck
wyochuck 02/24/10 - 11:12 pm
cobaltgeorge--slavery is

cobaltgeorge--slavery is still going on in communist china. millions forced to live in the countryside. not even allowed to go to town

Dan White 02/24/10 - 11:56 pm
augusta citizen - you said

augusta citizen - you said your great grandmother was a Cherokee Indian and that you don't expect any apologies, settlements, atonements, etc., for what may have happened to her and her family. LOL! The Cherokees in Georgia also owned African slaves, and they were also held as slaves by the whites who moved them out west on the Trail of Tears. So, I guess after the whites apologize to the blacks, they need to apologize to the Cherokees, and then the Cherokees can apologize to the blacks. Geeze - I guess we all need to apologize for something our ancestors did.

Dan White 02/24/10 - 11:57 pm
cobalt - slavery of children

cobalt - slavery of children and human trafficking of women is also going on in Africa big time.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 02/25/10 - 12:07 am
This notion is absurd. Did

This notion is absurd. Did the state formally apologize to women and Native Americans for its role in their lack of rights as well? Legislators need to focus on current issues and not poppycock such as this.

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 02/25/10 - 12:16 am
jhall you are either

jhall you are either delusional or don't understand cause and effect. Jails aren't full of black people because of their skin color. Blacks committ a disproportionate amount of crime so jails are full of blacks. That is an important detail. People, black, white, green, or other, have only themselves to blame for not taking advantage or free educational opportunites, for not taking advantage of free/highly subsidized birth control, for not working hard and putting 100% effort into their job/career, etc. The only person who keeps another person down is the one in the mirror.

devgru1
devgru1 02/25/10 - 12:28 am
How can things get better

How can things get better when crap such as this keeps popping up.

justus4
justus4 02/25/10 - 07:47 am
Look at the ignorance in the

Look at the ignorance in the comments. Comments repeating what others have spoon-feed to the ignorant. Look for the Christians, then look at elected officials. Look at the Constitution, then look at the unequal treatment. Case closed.

disssman
disssman 02/25/10 - 08:06 am
I just wish the slave

I just wish the slave decendants in my neighborhood would apologize for the last year of constant midnight Baboom, Baboom, Baboom, Baboom. I am glad they live 5 blocks away, lord help the people next door.

'Go Downtown' initiative gets mixed reviews

The "Go Downtown" initiative aims to foster a downtown environment that welcomes the college community and creates business for merchants. The event is held every third Thursday of the month ...