Government

More News | | | Editor

No slavery apology, Ga. speaker says

ATLANTA - - Efforts by Rep. Al Williams, D-Midway, to pass a resolution with the state's official apology for its role in slavery prior to the Civil War hit a major hurdle with news that a key state leader is opposed.
House Speaker David Ralston told an Atlanta public radio station he is against the idea.
Responding to a question on WABE-FM, Ralston said Williams is focused on the wrong direction.
"I'm about looking to the future. I'm not about looking to the past," Ralston said. "When you turn around and look backward, it invites a whole lot of issues, and I think we've got too much work to do, frankly, now to afford to do that."
Williams didn't have any better luck with Ralston's predecessor as the House's presiding officer. The apology never made it out of committee when Glenn Richardson was speaker.
Ralston campaigned for the job following Richardson's resignation with promises of healing and cooperation, leading some apology supporters to speculate that their chances might be improved this year with the 150th anniversary of the start of the Civil War next year.

Just me 2
Just me 2 02/24/10 - 05:11 pm
I agree 100%. We have many

I agree 100%. We have many many current issues that need to be addressed. All the apologies in the world would not change the past.
And the current population had nothing to do with this.

cristinadh
cristinadh 02/24/10 - 05:31 pm
Thank you!!

Thank you!!

eachoneteachone
eachoneteachone 02/24/10 - 05:51 pm
All of the slaves and the

All of the slaves and the slaves' children are dead. Let it be!

themaninthemirror
themaninthemirror 02/24/10 - 06:18 pm
Nobody in my ancestry tree

Nobody in my ancestry tree owned slaves, so I'm not apologizing.

corgimom
corgimom 02/24/10 - 06:22 pm
Finally, some common sense!

Finally, some common sense!

trickydick1
trickydick1 02/24/10 - 06:27 pm
eachoneteachone, I agree all

eachoneteachone, I agree all of the slaves are dead but their children live on. Slavery itself may have ended with the signing of the emancipation proclamation, but it didn’t end all together. There was a replacement for it in the form of black codes, Jim Crow laws and various other means of preventing a group people specifically “Blacks” from succeeding in this country. Now, personally I don’t care if the state of Georgia apologises for slavery, but I do support those people that feel it is important to have the state apologize for slavery.

KSL
KSL 02/24/10 - 06:41 pm
I don't.

I don't.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 02/24/10 - 06:46 pm
Can someone who is

Can someone who is pro-apology please tell me what social ills the apology will solve?

worldhistory
worldhistory 02/24/10 - 06:47 pm
It will soon be 150 years ago

It will soon be 150 years ago that slavery existed. I can't see wasting so much time and effort when the state has so many real problems to handle.

KSL
KSL 02/24/10 - 06:51 pm
Exactly.

Exactly.

glassrinkmaker
glassrinkmaker 02/24/10 - 07:04 pm
Who are we supposed to

Who are we supposed to apologize to? I will gladly apologize to any individual who was a slave prior to 1863!!!!

timereader
timereader 02/24/10 - 07:11 pm
what happened back then has

what happened back then has nothing to do with todays generation.

CameronKay
CameronKay 02/24/10 - 07:26 pm
I agree. I swear, right here,

I agree. I swear, right here, before all of you, and God, that I will apologize to every single slave that you bring before me, the only stipulation being that they must all be breathing. On a more serious note, isn't it more important that we concentrate on more pressing present matters, like all the shootings in Augusta, and the overall crime rate in the area? I think we need a "Three-Strike Rule" in GA. If you commit two felonies, the next one (third) puts the offender in prison for life. Let's get all the scum off the streets for good, and stop worrying about wasting time apologizing to deceased people that we, in our lifetime, have not harmed. Afterall, posthumous apologies always fall on deaf ears, do they not?

ladygrad
ladygrad 02/24/10 - 07:26 pm
Celebrating the Civil War and

Celebrating the Civil War and the Confederate flag is still alive, why should slavery die. I agree with trickydick, personally, I don't care but if some feel the need for an apology what will it hurt? Apologies went out for the holocaust. Is there a difference? Maybe this is the problem for most of us, we can't or won't hear, see, or allow a difference of opinion. It's either my way or the highway. My opinion is the better opinion. Change starts within each of us. By the way none of us lived during the slavery era, some during jim crow and segregation, those attitudes still remain. Let's let them die. I did and it feels wonderful.

CameronKay
CameronKay 02/24/10 - 07:29 pm
Ok, let's celebrate slavery

Ok, let's celebrate slavery then. Good idea, ladygrad.

Dan White 02/24/10 - 07:33 pm
This was an attempt to begin

This was an attempt to begin the step for financial reperations from the government for descendents of slaves. There are many national leaders in the African-American community that are pushing for this and some white liberal progressives too. Obama is on the fence about it, but I think he would sign a law if it was ever handed to him to give reperations. The House today passed a bill giving the Hawaiian natives sovereignty and about half the state, it seems, back to the natives. In these people's minds, America is villian, power grabbing, unfair, slave holding country that is guilty of serious crimes and these progressives want to right these past wrongs in the name of justice and fairness through giving money and land back to them.

Dan White 02/24/10 - 07:53 pm
What we need to apologize for

What we need to apologize for and do something about is the seemingly total collapse of the African-American family, the high crime rate, the high school drop out rate, and the fact that one out of three aborted babies are African-American. All of this caused by the federal government's paternalism toward this segment of our country in an effort to keep them dependent on the federal government to keep the power brokers in office. What is needed is an apology for these atrocities and then after the apology to stop empowering them to fail. This includes all of our impoverished and disfranchised citizens regardless of color. Reperations should be in the form of our government demanding a hand up instead of a hand out, to man up instead of whimp out, and to stand up instead of giving up. In a hundred years if our country is still standing, will legislatures one day demand an apology for the government of today creating a totally dependent segment of our country that failed them because our elected governmental officials did not demand independence, work, entrepreneurism, creativity, and perseverance even in the face of adversity, failure, and difficulties until finally sucess is achieved?

crackerjack
crackerjack 02/24/10 - 08:00 pm
I want the entitlement crowds

I want the entitlement crowds to apologize to tax paying citizens for ruining our country.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 02/24/10 - 08:01 pm
I found several of my

I found several of my ancestors owned slaves, and I am not proud of it. I am sorry it happened. I found a 99 yr old black man in the census living in the same household as my ggggrandmother . They had owned slaves, so I figure he was a former slave that they loved and took care of in his old age. I have found a good many ancestors who fought for the South and fought for what they believed in. Most of them were farmers.

KSL
KSL 02/24/10 - 08:03 pm
Actually, greenjacket, I

Actually, greenjacket, I don't think "we" need to apologize for that. I think the Democrats need to apologize for that. LBJ and company.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 02/24/10 - 08:05 pm
I agree with

I agree with maninthemirror...I'm not apologizing because I didn't have anything to do with it. Just because I'm white doesn't mean I'm at fault. And just because there are blacks out there who want to jump on this bandwagon, doesn't mean that THEY are entitled to any apology either. This is just a ploy to begin the process of reparations...which is an absolutely ridiculous idea.

wyochuck
wyochuck 02/24/10 - 08:12 pm
black people in africa stole

black people in africa stole their fellow black people--tribal wars. sold them to the british. the egyptian pyramids built with slaves--not black people . back in those days all wars resulted in slaves.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 02/24/10 - 08:18 pm
Irish were also slaves of the

Irish were also slaves of the British. They bred many of them with slaves from Africa. Anyone who is of Irish heritage most likely has black heritage also. The Native American Indians had it bad too. If they could pass for any other race they did. Families were separated. What people do to one another is so bad.

missaugusta07
missaugusta07 02/24/10 - 08:23 pm
Let it go people!

Let it go people!

proud confederate
proud confederate 02/24/10 - 08:24 pm
Prior to the War of Northern

Prior to the War of Northern Aggression? Prior to the War, Georgia was a member of the Untied States of America where slavery was legal and had been for years. Why would you apologize for something that was perfectly legal by law, U.S. law at that? It amazes me how people want to blame The Confederacy for slavery when it was perfectly legal according to the laws of the time. Gee, I don't see anyone looking to haul down the U.S. flag for supporting slavery from before the war.

wyochuck
wyochuck 02/24/10 - 08:24 pm
happychimer-there would be no

happychimer-there would be no need for police, armies. if people just lived by the golden rule. "do unto others as you would have done to yourself". never will happen of course. too many evil people out there.

wyochuck
wyochuck 02/24/10 - 08:28 pm
missaugusta07--what does that

missaugusta07--what does that mean-"let it go people" ???

happychimer
19537
happychimer 02/24/10 - 08:29 pm
wyochuck you are right about

wyochuck you are right about too many evil people out there.

happychimer
19537
happychimer 02/24/10 - 08:32 pm
We can take a lesson from the

We can take a lesson from the Jews. Never forget. Educate people on what happened so it will never happen again.

wyochuck
wyochuck 02/24/10 - 08:39 pm
happychimer--the jewish

happychimer--the jewish holocaust happened because they had no guns to defend themself. helpless sheep herded into ovens.

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...