Government

More News | | | Editor

Smith to announce for Augusta District 10 seat

Grady Smith, co-owner of Smith Brothers Mechanical Contractors Inc. will announce plans to run for the Augusta Commission's super District 10 at 11 a.m. today on the Telfair Street side of Augusta's Municipal Building.

Smith, 62, was endorsed Thursday by incumbent District 10 Commissioner Don Grantham, who has served two consecutive terms and cannot run again this year.

Smith has held leadership roles as president of the Augusta Exchange Club and Augusta Heating and Cooling Association and as member of the Georgia State Plumbing Board, the Board of Trustees of Augusta State University and the Board of Directors of Augusta Golf Association, he said.

"Augusta's a great town," Smith said. "We need to look at what we have and try to move forward, and make it a great place for everybody that lives here."

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/19/10 - 11:09 am
Look at the last sentence.

Look at the last sentence. What an original platform to run on. Where's a "roll eyes" smilie when you need one?

Emerydan
Emerydan 02/19/10 - 03:04 pm
OK.. endorsed by Don

OK.. endorsed by Don Grantham.. that means vote for the other guy.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/19/10 - 03:23 pm
Emerydan, not so fast Bro. I

Emerydan, not so fast Bro. I don't like Don any more than you do, and you know it. But, I like the idea of more small business owners getting elected. It kinda offsets all the preachers and government folks.

Emerydan
Emerydan 02/19/10 - 03:57 pm
we don't need another puppet

we don't need another puppet of The Machine on the commission.. anyway, this young guy running sounds good.. we need more youth on the commission

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/19/10 - 06:51 pm
I'm just assuming that Grady

I'm just assuming that Grady Smith is also a member of Augusta Country Club, since Dandy Don Grantham is promoting him. Can anyone correct me?

joebowles
joebowles 02/20/10 - 02:25 am
Little Lamb, What difference

Little Lamb, What difference does the ACC make??? I am a member and I don't follow any "marching orders". Lets evaluate each candidate based on who they are...

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/20/10 - 09:00 am
Little Lamb has a point.

Little Lamb has a point. Don't support anyone who might be a successful businessman. Surely there is a career politician somewhere that you can elect.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 02/20/10 - 10:51 am
You are correct, of course,

You are correct, of course, Commissioner Bowles. I'm sure Mr. Smith will come up with a platform more concrete than "We need to look at what we have and try to move forward, and make it a great place for everybody that lives here," between now and November.

My comment about the ACC was a feeble attempt at humor and was prompted by reading the list of organizations Smith is a member of and wondering if any organizations were missing from the list.

joebowles
joebowles 02/20/10 - 08:36 pm
Thanks LL, I have met Mr.

Thanks LL, I have met Mr. Frantom and think he would be a great addition to our Commission.

joebowles
joebowles 02/20/10 - 08:36 pm
Thanks LL, I have met Mr.