Government

More News | | | Editor

Lawmaker opposes ban on phone use behind wheel

COLUMBIA --- An Aiken County Republican on Wednesday strongly opposed restrictions of cell phone use while driving, arguing that he's not convinced the practice is dangerous.

"I haven't seen evidence that it's necessary," Sen. Shane Massey said of a proposed ban on handheld cell phones behind the wheel.

"I know there's a lot of speculation out there," said the Edgefield Republican who represents part of Aiken County and ultimately supported a looser bill. The bill before the Senate Judiciary subcommittee, S. 642, was changed from prohibiting all handheld cell phone use to one that only bans texting. It cleared the subcommittee with Massey's support and was also amended to apply to drivers of all ages, instead of only to those younger than 18.

Last month, a AAA representative told House lawmakers nearly 2,600 people nationwide died in cell phone-texting related crashes and drivers who use cell phones while driving have the same motor skills as people with a 0.08 percent blood alcohol content.

On Wednesday, Massey questioned where lawmakers should draw the line on activities that distract drivers.

"I'm not willing to support a ban on hand-hand cell phones, but I do think texting is dangerous," Massey said.

Associated Press reports were used in this article.

TakeAstand
TakeAstand 02/11/10 - 02:11 am
It took 3 articles in 2 days

It took 3 articles in 2 days about the same topic each time adding a tad more from the same interview to clear up what this guy really meant. Don't know if it is the AC or the AP, but someone dropped the ball on this story and made the guy look like an idiot. Thanks for finally clearing it up..... or is this the final "report"? lol

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 02/11/10 - 04:21 am
Oh my God!!! 2600 people a

Oh my God!!! 2600 people a year die NATIONWIDE so we MUST do something! Nanny State to the rescue!!! You don't need to think (or allow Natural Selection to take place) you only need to OBEY OBEY OBEY OBEY OBEY OBEY OBEY!!! How many folks are tired of super duper small % of problems being shoved dow everyone's throats? 2600? That menas something like 1/10,0000th of 1%, OR 1/100,000th of the population is affected each year NATIONWIDE, yet SC lawmakers make THIS a priority? I bet most folks think this is a good thing. I guess it is the old slow boil story all over again.

UncleBill
UncleBill 02/11/10 - 11:47 am
If you go to the National

If you go to the National Safety Council site www.nsc.org and search for cell phones you will get a better informed take on the problem.

1beachbum
1beachbum 02/11/10 - 01:35 pm
Brad, are we a little pissy

Brad, are we a little pissy today? I get it, trulyworried started it, but you sure finished it!

Bond..James..Bond
Bond..James..Bond 02/11/10 - 01:54 pm
Brad..Is my new heroe!

Brad..Is my new heroe! Hahahah

Bond..James..Bond
Bond..James..Bond 02/11/10 - 01:55 pm
How do I get an 8X10 Glossy?

How do I get an 8X10 Glossy?

GGpap
GGpap 02/11/10 - 10:01 pm
While I usually agree with

While I usually agree with Brad Owens--and it ain't because of the pic, :o)--I would rather he consider the statistics on the number of automobile accidents (not just those that led to deaths) that could be attributed to the use of cell phones by individuals while operating a motor vehicle. While death is permanent, lesser accidents create immeasurable grief in the form of physical, psychological and economical harm/damage. If our citizenry is unable to monitor their unacceptable and dangerous behavior, I would welcome a law that "may" encourage them to change their self-centered ways. GGpap

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms