Government

More News | | | Editor

Georgia revenues continue plunge

ATLANTA - Tax collections in Georgia continue to slide.

Gov. Sonny Perdue announced today that revenues for the month of January dipped 8.7 percent from the same month a year earlier, from $1.6 billion to $1.4 billion.

It's the 14th straight month that tax collections in Georgia have dropped.

For the fiscal year that ends June 30, revenues are down 12.9 percent.

Perdue and state legislators have already slashed state spending. The slimmed down $17.4 billion state budget is set to be voted out of committee Wednesday.

For January, personal income tax collections are down 16 percent while sales tax inched up slightly.

Chillen
Chillen 02/09/10 - 05:29 pm
Wow, lots of very difficult

Wow, lots of very difficult decisions lie ahead. There is no doubt that spending is going to have to plummet.

Hopefully our government will learn a lesson from this and keep spending to the levels they decrease it to - even when revenue drifts back up in the coming years. There's nothing wrong with a budget surplus!

lifelongresidient
lifelongresidient 02/09/10 - 06:11 pm
drastically cut welfare and

drastically cut welfare and other social programs to all "able-bodied" individuals..eliminate welfare and all social/educational programs for illegal aliens...close down all public housing make it only available to the elderly and TRULY disabled..it's time for those who can work to "go to work" and start paying their own way...tie child support received to the amount paid by the "baby's daddy"..if he don't pay then she doesn't get anything

dichotomy
dichotomy 02/09/10 - 07:09 pm
Do you think our politicians

Do you think our politicians are smart enough to ever figure out that outgo must be <= income? How would the state budget look if we took out the welfare, subsidized housing, food stamps, and Medicaid.

Chillen
Chillen 02/09/10 - 08:06 pm
It would balance my friend.

It would balance my friend. Even with our revenue shortfalls.

Jonas
Jonas 02/10/10 - 03:59 am
If I am not mistaken those

If I am not mistaken those social programs are federal programs not state run programs. The same with Section 8. It has its uses but the problem arises because they don't cap how long you can get those things. I am a child abuse investigator and I was shocked when I realized that you can get medicaid, food stamps, welfare check (48 months), Section 8, and a check from Section 8 to pay your utilities. With all of that for as long as you have children do you wonder why these whores never find a job but rather another baby daddy. Makes me feel stupid for going to college and trying to better myself. Some of these people live better than working folk!!! But who can you blame they are only doing what the system allows them to do. The democrats/liberals designed these programs to keep these people exactly where they are and the cycle repeats with their children. These programs have destroyed the black community but kept them loyal to the democratic party. Not to mention that we are importing poverty right into this country from Mexico with all these illegals who come here just to have kids and live off the system. People I am not some nut, I do social work and I see what is going on with my on two eyes.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/10/10 - 08:01 am
Jonas 259am post.. We know

Jonas 259am post.. We know you aren't some nut.. We know you speak the truth.. If you read the posts on here you will hear an echo..We are with you on this 100%..

UGA jumps up in 2 polls

The University of Georgia made the second-biggest jump of all the teams in the two national ranking polls, both of which were released Tuesday.