Education

More News | |

No wrongdoing found in Lucy C. Laney High School grades, Superintendent Frank Roberson says

Despite receiving a complaint that dozens of student grades were changed unjustly last year at Lucy C. Laney High School, Superintendent Frank Roberson said Wednesday that no wrongdoing has been found and the investigation is completed.

Roberson said all changes made in May before final grades were submitted were justified and reflect updates made after students completed makeup work using online credit recovery.

“We did not find any wrongdoing on the part of the teachers nor on the part of the principal,” Roberson said, referring to Principal Tonia Mason, who resigned this summer. “This was a legitimate procedure that is in place throughout the system.”

Roberson said that he received a complaint that grades were fraudulently changed between 25 and 75 times last year involving seniors at the school and that he began investigating Tuesday.

Roberson said his staff interviewed several employees on the issue and did not find any evidence of wrongdoing.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/16/14 - 11:48 am
Nothing new here. Things like

Nothing new here. Things like that have gone on in all schools since I was in school. Mrs. Watson and Miss Seibert passed me when I probably had an average less than a jelly fish would make in those classes.

corgimom
corgimom 07/16/14 - 11:56 am
Those teachers are under

Those teachers are under terrible pressure to pass those students. And so many of the students come to high school and can't read or write, which is not the high school teachers' fault.

Every school district has a rule that says a child can't be retained more than twice, because they can only attend school until they are 21.

So what is a teacher supposed to do?

When you have a superintendent that publically says that they are going to raise the graduation rate, and you have a high school that is danger of state takeover if they don't, what do you THINK will happen?

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/16/14 - 12:10 pm
Corgimom has it right. I hope

Corgimom has it right. I hope Dr. Roberson, being a lame duck Superintendent, will go easy here.

AFjoe
AFjoe 07/16/14 - 12:12 pm
Disappearing Act

Isn't Laney the one that the principal left suddenly?
Thanks to Ms Inglett for giving me that extra point that I needed to pass her class and inturn graduate.

redapples
redapples 07/16/14 - 12:55 pm
Corgi has it correct! If a

Corgi has it correct! If a student fails, the eye of accountability looks to the teacher with questions like, "did you do all you could possibly do to help this student pass?" Well, no. I didn't do the work for them. I didn't excuse work they did not turn in. I did offer extra tutoring. I did offer extended deadlines. Then the pressure really hits. "So you want to prevent this student from graduating just because they didn't do your work? Maybe they didn't perform in your class because they were bored." Enough said.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/16/14 - 12:55 pm
And in further news, the

And in further news, the federal government has announced a recall notice for all 2014 Laney High diplomas because they are defective.

"Every school district has a rule that says a child can't be retained more than twice,"

So we PASS them on up the line and out on society with the falsehood that they are a high school graduate.

It's no wonder that having a high school diploma doesn't mean anything anymore and that most colleges do the same thing as long as you can bring in student aid money. We have high school "graduates" that can't read, write, or do basic math and we have college graduates that are almost as bad.

I don't know why we even bother trying to educate them if we are going to pass them up the line no matter how ignorant they are. Just hand their parents a high school diploma and a bachelors degree along with their birth certificate when you send them home from the taxpayer funded "birthing" and be done with it.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/16/14 - 02:57 pm
'going to raise the

'going to raise the graduation rate, and you have a high school that is danger of state takeover if they don't, what do you THINK will happen?"

So let's get down to the nitty gritty of it all. What you are saying is that is about the teachers, the administration, and the school. Nobody cares if we are graduating ignorant kids.

And Roberson investigated all of this and pronounced everything hunky dory since Tuesday. Now THERE is a disinterested party investigation worthy of the Obama administration and his DOJ.

gaflyboy
gaflyboy 07/16/14 - 03:59 pm
We investigated ourselves ...

and everything is A-OK! Nothing wrong in this skule system.

avidreader
avidreader 07/16/14 - 04:16 pm
A Quandary!

Every school year I have two or three seniors in my freshman English class. These kids farted around in ninth-grade and failed English, so they are experiencing the thrill for a second time with me and my fourteen-year-olds.

Traditionally, two of the three seniors will fail freshman English a second time. They think that the second attempt is a "give-me" and have no fear of failing, no matter how many days they're absent or how many assignments they fail to complete. They are embarrassed. They have to follow the freshmen rules and consider it demeaning to be treated like a juvenile.

I DO NOT give these kids a passing grade, and they do not walk across the stage with their life-long friends. My Principal is always kept abreast of these students' shortcomings, and it is well-documented that I have made contact with the parent on numerous occasions. I keep meticulous records.

However, I am confident in saying that MANY seniors are pushed through their final year like poop through a goose, and there is a good bit of pressure on the teachers to contribute to graduation statistics. How can a senior with 50+ absences possibly pass his classes? But it happens. How can a senior with a 38 average end up with a D? It happens.

Yes, some seniors do participate in on-line grade recovery projects. Some complete demanding recovery assignments from the teacher, but come on, and listen -- these students are a slim number of the population. MOST seniors in our school system have no fear of failing, especially those who have already passed their state-mandated tests in the eleventh-grade. Social promotion has been the mainstay since kindergarten, and they know how the system works.

To many children in the public school system, education is no longer a privilege; it is an entitlement without responsibility.

Amen!

Sweet son
Sweet son 07/16/14 - 04:36 pm
Yea, there is no malfeasance here. My arse!

Only one question? Why did the principal "resign?" Smells like a fish to me and she fell on the dagger for everyone else. And that explanation doesn't smell good either.

Don't know exactly what her pay was but you just don't 'resign' from a job with great benefits and a salary that probably approached $100,000!

corgimom
corgimom 07/16/14 - 05:51 pm
Sweet son, do you think that

Sweet son, do you think that she can't get another job somewhere else?

Anybody that works at Laney- God bless them.

She probably just got fed up. I would.

corgimom
corgimom 07/16/14 - 05:53 pm
"Nobody cares if we are

"Nobody cares if we are graduating ignorant kids."

Dichotomy, when you have a municipality that cares more about an empty TEE Center than a school system, yes, that's true.

When you have an electorate that keeps electing incompetents to the school board, yes, that's true.

When you have a school board where the superintendent can be off work for months and months and months, without any noticeable change in anything, yes, that's true.

Pops
Pops 07/16/14 - 06:20 pm
"he began investigating Tuesday. Roberson said his staff

interviewed several employees on the issue and did not find any evidence of wrongdoing."

Let's see......up to 75 instances to investigate......began looking into this on Tuesday.....interviewed people (probably the ones changing the grades). They told him they did nothing wrong. Good enough for me.....

jimmymac
jimmymac 07/16/14 - 06:51 pm
Investigation

Can you say cover up! Sounds like the recent scandal in ATL.

raul
raul 07/16/14 - 07:53 pm
@avidreader. I followed

@avidreader. I followed everything you said, but have a question about your statement: "especially those who have already passed their state-mandated tests in the eleventh-grade" How do these kids that are poor performers with many absences pass a standardized state state? It seems that would be the true tell, not the local school performance where they are passed by questionable means.

corgimom
corgimom 07/16/14 - 08:31 pm
raul, my son barely

raul, my son barely graduated. He routinely got C's and D's.

On a standardized test, he tested gifted.

He refused to do his homework.

corgimom
corgimom 07/16/14 - 08:32 pm
My son is the only person

My son is the only person that I know that got a high school diploma without doing a lick of work.

irishgent
irishgent 07/17/14 - 12:57 am
Just wait until they go to

Just wait until they go to fill out a job application,the truth will always show its ugly face

justthefacts
justthefacts 07/17/14 - 06:46 am
AFjoe

Betty Inglett??

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/17/14 - 06:56 am
Correct

Welcome to the forum, Irishgent. Your comment shows wisdom.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/17/14 - 08:47 am
We investigated ourselves ...

I agree with Gaflyboy. Roberson should have asked the SACS accrediting agency to do the investigation. You need someone from the outside.

Young Fred
Young Fred 07/17/14 - 11:40 am
"I don't know why we even

"I don't know why we even bother trying to educate them if we are going to pass them up the line no matter how ignorant they are?"

"Social promotion has been the mainstay since kindergarten, and they know how the system works."

And that is because too many decision makers in positions of power care more about engineering/conditioning future voters than educating our youth!

A thinking/reasoning populace ask too many questions, and tend to hold people accountable. They tend to actually have opinions and want control over their own lives. In other words, they make things difficult for the social engineers who know what's best for us.

More Americans traveling this holiday season

You might want to get a head start to Grandma's house this year. It appears more Americans - 98.6 million - will be traveling this holiday season than ever.