Georgia State student forms white student union

Thursday, Aug 1, 2013 8:13 AM
Last updated 7:54 PM

ATLANTA — Georgia State University officials say that six students have complained after seeing fliers around campus advertising a new student club known as the White Student Union.

Freshman Patrick Sharp says he started the club so that students of European and Euro-American descent can celebrate their shared history and culture. He said members can also discuss issues that affect white people, such as immigration and affirmative action.

Sharp, who is from Birmingham, Ala. and enrolled at the Atlanta school this summer, said any student can join and that he would work with other clubs, such as the Black Student Alliance, on common issues.

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that whites comprise 38 percent of Georgia State’s student body, followed by blacks at 35 percent, Asians at 12 percent and Latinos at 7 percent.

soapy_725
soapy_725 08/01/13 - 08:19 am
White is Right. White is Right. Unconstitutional & Evil.

White is Right. White is Right. Unconstitutional & Evil.

JRC2024
JRC2024 08/01/13 - 08:36 am
If there are no complaints

If there are no complaints about the black student alliance then there should be no complaints about the white student union unless a double standard is accepted. Maybe both should not be recognized or allowed on campus but then what you do with the greek clubs. Oh well.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/01/13 - 08:45 am
Local news

This was also in local news this am..I think why not.....we have special groups for blacks--latinos...can't have one without the other...now can we..

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/01/13 - 08:51 am
I say "hooray" for equality.

I say "hooray" for equality.

Mr. Thackeray
Mr. Thackeray 08/01/13 - 08:59 am
I am sure, any time now,

I am sure, any time now, someone will pay the racism card.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 08/01/13 - 09:56 am
Here we go...

Here we go...this will be interesting to see how they spin it to where this is racist...

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/01/13 - 09:13 am
Let me see:

naacp, sclc, southern poverty law center, rainbow coalition, bet, naacp awards, congressional black caucus, Georgia black caucus, new black panthers, urban league, doj, obama, holder, Georgia State Univ. white student union. Can't have this. ONE of them is racist. If you don't believe me, ask john lewis.

prov227
prov227 08/01/13 - 09:29 am
The racist card ...

is rapidly becoming a Joker.

belle
belle 08/01/13 - 09:37 am
It's a shame...

that we can't just have a Student Alliance where all students can openly discuss how these issues affect each of them. But we don't, so this is a fair solution. However, the more we segregate, the more we divide. That's the opposite direction that we want to head in.

avidreader
avidreader 08/01/13 - 09:48 am
Pointy Hats

I hope these kids don't wear tall, white, pointy hats. Other than that, let them explore their cultural diversity. If christened properly, the kids could set themselves up for meaningful debate among all of the other cultural-diversity clubs. I love those two words -- cultural diversity. Maybe I'll say it again . . .

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/01/13 - 10:07 am
Some Things You Can't Do

You can't have a white anything. You can't admit the minority population in Richmond County is the whites. Now, you students, hush, stop being prejudiced and keep voting for Democrats who will forgive student loans.

Kingbiscuitboy
Kingbiscuitboy 08/01/13 - 10:08 am
faculty advisors

Are there faculty advisors for these organizations? This would keep them in check.

southern2
southern2 08/01/13 - 10:09 am
Think this has been tried

Think this has been tried before without success but wish them well. Bet Holder is already on the phone to Sharpton and JJ.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 08/01/13 - 10:11 am
Just curious...

It was stated that ANY student can join...not just white people. So why the complaints?

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/01/13 - 10:35 am
I'd join the female

I'd join the female scandinavian organization, but I have an idea I wouldn't be welcome.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 08/01/13 - 10:46 am
@Riverman1

Maybe...maybe not. You won't know unless you try! Unless they specifically state that non-scandinavian males not apply, then you're ASSUMING you wouldn't be welcome... ;-)

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 08/01/13 - 11:06 am
In this day and age, the

In this day and age, the school and it's students HAVE to "allow" them. I look forward to seeing how all this works out.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 08/01/13 - 12:17 pm
Divide and conquer

If any student can join, then why is it called White Student Union....we will we realize that there is more power in working together and less in devisive groups such as these.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 08/01/13 - 12:37 pm
I guess the same as why there

I guess the same as why there is a Black Student Union - that's just what it's called. I haven't looked into it, but let's assume there's nothing in the by-laws or whatever for the Black Student Union that states a white student can't join...so assuming that white students CAN join the Black Student Union, and black students (or anyone described as non-white) CAN join the White Student Union, what's the big deal on what the union is called??

I agree that it should just be the STUDENT UNION and not have a Black, White, etc. but again, as long as there is no discrimination in the members, mission, etc. then really, there are much bigger fish to fry out there.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/01/13 - 01:16 pm
I.U., the NAACP is open to

I.U., the NAACP is open to all, why can't this be? As someone pointed out, maybe it is a good opportunity for diverse groups to understand each other better. Why would anyone have a problem with that?

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/01/13 - 01:30 pm
"I hope these kids don't wear

"I hope these kids don't wear tall, white, pointy hats." Racist statement right on schedule as posters predicted.
If they stop it then they will have to also stop the Black Alliance. I wager both groups would accept any ethnicity. Like Historic Black Colleges aren't all black-multiethnic. Remember the Buffalo Room in North Augusta. You can't discriminate in America. Hee,hee,hee.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/01/13 - 01:34 pm
Yeah Remember Danny Glover

Yeah Remember Danny Glover going to the South African embassy during apartheid in the Lethal Weapon movie. "but, but you're black".

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/01/13 - 01:46 pm
Georgia State has always been

Georgia State has always been a commuter school because it's in the middle of downtown so I encourage any kind of association that would encourage a college community environment. Actually attended during the 70s and 80's. It's a good school-still have friends there in their biology department.

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/01/13 - 01:49 pm
Any UGA fans remember the

Any UGA fans remember the "Bullfrog" Room (the affectionate name). Went there too. I remember eating and watching Reefer Madness there. What a hoot.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 08/01/13 - 02:20 pm
internationallyunknown, where

internationallyunknown, where were you when blacks made up the NAACP, the Miss Black America pageant, BET, the Black Student Union, the Black Congressional Caucus (or whatever it's called), and on and on and on? Who knows? Maybe you were around and questioned those organizations?? But as long as they have those still running, then by golly, these white kids can form just about whatever WHITE groups they want. I think it'd be a hoot to see some White Entertainment Television! They could have shows like "Hazel" and "Leave it to Beaver" and "Father Knows Best"! Man....looks like they gotta go back a looooooong way for some WET, huh? Well, on second thought, don't bother with that one! Hey, how about an all white sports channel...showcasing sports with just white people playing?!? Naaaah...that one would stink too!

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 08/01/13 - 02:56 pm
Maybe..

they should call it the Anglo Student Union...has a better ring to it.

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 08/01/13 - 04:44 pm
Good job

Kudos to this student for taking a stand for his heritage. Americans are getting sick of seeing the race card played by minorities anytime something doesn't go their way. I wish I had a proverbial trump card that I could throw on the table anytime I'm discouraged. Hope this kid is successful in his endeavors!

Bizkit
Bizkit 08/01/13 - 04:56 pm
Hey Red-head a good idea but

Hey Red-head a good idea but I suggest the WASP Union-maybe WASP nest would be better. They can compete against the YellowJackets. LOL

corgimom
corgimom 08/01/13 - 06:14 pm
The people attending that

The people attending that university are adults. They don't need a faculty advisor telling them what they can or can't do. They don't need to be "kept in check".

I see more of those groups coming, especially where whites are in the minority.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/01/13 - 06:35 pm
I Can Guarentee

that it will not be long before this little White Group hit head line News.