Education

More News | |

Columbia County school board OKs tax increase

The Columbia County school board voted 4-1 Tuesday to approve a $177 million budget that includes a tax increase that will amount to roughly $40 per $100,000 in assessed property value.

District 3 board member Mike Sleeper was the lone vote against the recommendation by Superintendent Charles Nagle. Sleeper also voted against the proposal last month, when he said he would have preferred the school system consider furloughing employees for two days and “go from there.”

Nagle had told the board in May that continued reductions in state funding and a rising classroom population left few options.

In other business, the board members thanked Nagle for his service in his final meeting before retirement.

Sleeper called him a “man of character,” and said, “There’s no way I can thank you enough.”

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 06/11/13 - 08:43 pm
Really?

Did anyone think they wold do any different from the first mention of raising taxes? It went the way most thought including Sleeper voting against it. Mr. don't raise my taxes but cut everyone else's pay.

RMSHEFF
RMSHEFF 06/11/13 - 09:29 pm
If in doubt....raise taxes

If in doubt....raise taxes !

How long will the Columbia county property owners allow this mentality to go unchecked !

JRC2024
JRC2024 06/11/13 - 10:26 pm
RMsheff, as long as people

RMsheff, as long as people move to Columbia and as long as the people who move their continue to have babies you will need schools to educate them.

Argie
Argie 06/12/13 - 01:22 am
Just my point of view

RMSHEFF and JRC2024,

Both my kids graduated from Columbia County schools and went on to quality colleges (UGA and Berry) and outstanding careers. I am now retired and on a fixed income. I could use the considerable school taxes I pay each year for other purposes which would benefit me more directly. Frankly, I wish that I did not have to pay the school taxes at all, and I do not like the taxes being raised. I am not liberal, and Regina Buccafusco is particularly irritating when she says that raising school taxes is a "no brainer".

However, all in all, I feel fortunate to live in a county that at least makes good use of the taxes that I do pay.

JRC2024
JRC2024 06/12/13 - 08:35 am
Angie, I never had any

Angie, I never had any children but looking at my Richmond County tax notice for this year. My total taxes on my home are $5973.99 and of that the school taxes are $3525.57. And they went down on the appraised value this year.

Argie
Argie 06/12/13 - 10:39 am
JRC

You live in a big house in Richmond County and pay a large tax bill to support the Richmond County Schools. My house is smaller, and I pay only $4000 each year in taxes to Columbia County.

I don't like paying taxes, but I am getting a much, much better deal, dollar for dollar, than you for the money I pay. Even if I paid TWICE what I pay now, I would be getting a better deal than you. I think most people in the area realize this. That is why folks keep coming to Columbia County!

woodymeister
woodymeister 06/12/13 - 11:14 am
Why do You Continue to Stand for This?

For all the complainers: Why do you stay? Load up and move to a county that is more focused on trash pick up than on the future leaders of this country. Look around - do we really want to dumb down the educational process? Do you want to follow Sleeper's moronic idea of furloughing teachers and thus lessoning the number of hours your children receive in class? You are the same people that will be writing comments when the standardized testing results come out and CC kids are falling behind. Just because your mouth has two sides does not mean you have to speak out of them both. Man up or move out....and take Sleeper with you.

resident
resident 06/12/13 - 12:58 pm
I agree on some portions of it

What I see is give me more money to spend on overdone schools. Why do they need all of this fancy Marble fixture stuff? Why do we keep not looking at efficiencies? There are plenty to gain in conversion of buses to Natural Gas, AC utilization can be regulated much better, start school later in the year. Stop listening to the whining well the students would have to test after Christmas (excuse me Winter break for those ridiculous PC types). The idea is they are supposed to LEARN and that should say for itself in meaning that you retain data. I am sure if those Doctorate level melonheads would use those so called educations they have and put some thought in it, I am pretty sure tax increases are avoidable. STOP this madness! My little lower level community college brain can think of many ways to save money but the board refuses to listen and I have tried many times with cited examples to show the savings.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/12/13 - 04:16 pm
Torn by this

... as a taxpayer I've always believed that as my values and income went up, the state gets more as well. I've never understood how when my value and income decrease, the state can just demand a bigger portion of the smaller pie and some folks justify that by saying, "It's been (however many) years since the last tax increase". So (filtered word) what?

But I do see the value in our schools; they spend less per pupil than our neighboring counties (look it up- RC's paying significantly more). The value of that dollar is evident in scores as well. My own child went to GT and did well enough to keep HOPE all through because of a good foundation at CC schools.

Bottom line is taxes will go up; no one gives a rat's hat what the less than commisar level buddies think.

mybaskett
mybaskett 06/12/13 - 08:41 pm
It doesn't matter which County you reside in......

It is still a public education. Anyone being honest with themselves know that its all about passing the test.

My child attends Davidson and since I'm being honest with myself, it's all about passing the test.

RC/CC schools are both structured by ONE Department of Education. You can't change that no matter what county you reside in.

So Brag on, they are all being fed the same crap. LOL!!!!