Education

More News | |

Local student dies after collapsing at pageant practice

Thursday, April 4, 2013 1:05 PM
Last updated 11:59 PM

A Richmond County high school student collapsed during a pageant practice at Paine College on Wednesday and was pronounced dead from natural causes at Georgia Regents Medical Center, according to Richmond County Coro­ner Grover Tuten.

Fredricia Rouse, 17, a junior at Hephzibah High School, was standing in the college chapel when she collapsed. She was participating in the school’s Upward Bound program, a federally funded program that provides academic tutoring and mentoring to low-income high school students to prepare for college.

Tuten said there were no signs of violence and that an autopsy was being performed Thursday.

Paine College released a statement Thursday to mourn the death of the girl. Carol Rountree, the director of student services for Richmond County schools, said counselors met with students at the Hephzibah campus Thursday.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/04/13 - 01:33 pm
That is so awful! That poor

That is so awful! That poor girl and her family...sounds like the good people at Paine were helping her with her future, and it was inexplicably cut short. Prayers out to all involved.

internationallyunknown
internationallyunknown 04/04/13 - 01:51 pm
May God be with the family

May God be with the family and friends of this young lady.

David Parker
David Parker 04/04/13 - 01:54 pm
Condolences to the family

Condolences to the family

rocketserve
rocketserve 04/04/13 - 02:01 pm
Why??

Is does the part about the girl "participating in the school's Upward Bound program, a federally funded program that provides academic tutoring to low-imcome high school students to prepare for college" have anything to do with her collapsing and dying? I am sorry for the famlies loss but I don't see where that part has anything to do with the story.

JENNPAT
JENNPAT 04/04/13 - 02:40 pm
local student died

this is so sad i feel so sorry for her family and friends my God be with them during this time

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 04/04/13 - 02:43 pm
Sad, sad, sad

If they don't find a clear cause for this, I hope they check her sibs and cousins for long QT syndrome.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/04/13 - 03:45 pm
rocket, maybe the writer felt

rocket, maybe the writer felt the need to explain why a high school student was participating in a beauty pageant at a local college....the pageant sounds like it was part of this special program that this girl was also involved in.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 04/04/13 - 04:36 pm
God

bless Ms. Rouse's soul.

pcjackson
pcjackson 04/04/13 - 07:58 pm
Absolute sadness.....

Fredricia was one of my 4th grade students at Windsor Spring Elementary School. As soon as I saw the name I started adding up years to see if the age matched.....sure enough. She was a bright shining light years ago so I can only imagine how her light has grown. I would bet my last dollar she was beautiful, talented, and headed to do amazing things with her life. The world has lost a good one....

Mrs. S

whyme
2002
whyme 04/04/13 - 09:22 pm
condolences

My condolences to the family of this wonderful young lady. As a mother of a teenager I can only imagine.

Willie Loman
Willie Loman 04/04/13 - 09:45 pm
Sad, sad story. The story

Sad, sad story. The story still leaves many unanswered questions. Condolences to Fredricia's family.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/04/13 - 10:20 pm
Posted On FB 33 Minutes Ago

"Heart Attack"
A personal comment.

bam2013
bam2013 04/05/13 - 10:29 am
MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU

My God Bless this family in their time of need, my heart goes out to all this young lady family members, remember keep your head's up cause God does'nt make mistakes.

Morning wreck slows traffic

Expect delays at Peach Orchard Road near Bobby Jones Expressway after a wreck involving an 18-wheeler.