Education

More News | |

Video shows students fondling each other in class

Monday, April 1, 2013 7:02 PM
Last updated 9:32 PM

While reviewing video surveillance footage Friday, a teacher caught two Evans High School students inappropriately touching each other.

The culinary arts teacher told an assistant principal that she was reviewing footage from the camera in her room to investigate the report of a lost book bag when she saw the students fondling each other March 25, according to a Columbia County Sheriff’s Office incident report. In the video, it appeared the students were rubbing each other’s genital areas during class.

The assistant principal said she spoke to students who were sitting behind the couple and they confirmed what the video showed, according to the report.

The deputy spoke to the parents of both students and they did not want to pursue criminal charges.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 04/01/13 - 08:58 pm
Well, What did they expect

You know it appears that it was a mutual thing between the two. Who would make charges against who? But they still should be disciplined appropriately.

dwb619
dwb619 04/01/13 - 10:10 pm
?

Slow news day in Columbia county?

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 04/02/13 - 03:07 am
A police report? For real??

A police report? For real??

jmo
jmo 04/02/13 - 05:06 am
I just hope.....

it was a boy and a girl.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/02/13 - 07:12 am
Weird

Did the camera catch anyone picking their nose, too? There is something a little weird about this. The teacher's justification for reviewing the video of "looking for a lost bookbag" sure proves she/he is a conscientious teacher, I suppose. Did anyone ask the student "who reported the lost book bag" about the incident?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 04/02/13 - 05:15 am
I Notice That Too

AC so conveniently left off the He?She? bit.

Frank I
Frank I 04/02/13 - 05:33 am
he/she

what difference does it make if it were a he/she, she/she, he/he? and haha, culinary arts? is that what they used to call home ec?

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/02/13 - 05:58 am
wowo

Let us hope this was not a home cooking class...

But criminal charges....please......overboard reaction.

ReleehwEoj
ReleehwEoj 04/02/13 - 06:17 am
Whew!

Thought, before finishing the article, that this might be another black eye for Greenbrier High School...

belle
belle 04/02/13 - 07:23 am
Not the 19th century.....

Frank, no, home ec was a mixture of sewing, cooking, cleaning and planning skills. The Culinary Arts program at Evans focuses on food prep/service. Future chefs and restauranteurs. My only regret was that the teacher didn't catch them in the act. I know she would have managed the situation well (and humorously to observers)

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/02/13 - 07:57 am
Control of the Videos

I'd like to go over the control of these classroom videos. Teachers are allowed to privately view them? Would it be possible for them to delete segments of the video? It just seems like they should be under some sort of centralized control and no one involved in the classroom given access unless it is supervised.

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/02/13 - 08:50 am
Criminal charges? And the

Criminal charges? And the crime would be?????????????

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/02/13 - 09:09 am
Ask what Law and You shall know

O.C.G.A. 16-6-8 (2010)
16-6-8. Public indecency

(a) A person commits the offense of public indecency when he or she performs any of the following acts in a public place:
...

(4) A lewd caress or indecent fondling of the body of another person.

(b) A person convicted of the offense of public indecency as provided in subsection (a) of this Code section shall be punished as for a misdemeanor except as provided in subsection (c) of this Code section.

(c) Upon a third or subsequent conviction for public indecency for the violation of paragraph (2), (3), or (4) of subsection (a) of this Code section, a person shall be guilty of a felony and shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than five years.

KSL
KSL 04/02/13 - 09:14 am
Public display of affection

Public display of affection was not allowed on school grounds. No doubt they would have been expelled from my high school.

owensjef3
owensjef3 04/02/13 - 09:15 am
Nothing to see here folks,

Nothing to see here folks, keep it moving just a little hanky panty or a trip to first base .

urright
urright 04/02/13 - 09:18 am
River-

Why does it matter why she was viewing the video? It was her classroom and the kids know there are cameras. The teachers cannot delete anything from the footage, but they are free to review it whenever they want. Public Safety and the principals have "control" over the video. What are you trying to insinuate?

allhans
allhans 04/02/13 - 09:42 am
I find this disgusting. Only

I find this disgusting. Only the ignorant would behave in such a manner.

nocnoc
nocnoc 04/02/13 - 09:55 am
owensjef3 - 1st base

It seems your idea of 1st base is sliding across Home Plate.

Mine was holding hands
2nd Base was a Kiss
3rd making out
4th Base required a ring and date.

Of course what do I know I been married 35+ years.
Maybe kids with 3 daddies and several Step sisters or brothers
is better thing?

NOT

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/02/13 - 10:10 am
My Point of View

Urright, I'd like to know if teachers can delete parts of the videos and you say they can't...fine. Next I'd like to know who has control of the videos and you said public safety and the principals...I say fine again. I'd also like to know if teachers routinely review videos? Are there specific guidelines? I wouldn't want them glaring at Jenna who bites her fingernails or has Tourettes Syndrome or something.

In this case it was said the teacher was trying to find out what happened to a lost book bag. Did she learn what happened to the book bag? Was the student who lost the book bag interviewed? My underlying concern is video of public places can be misused. If the video can be paused it is possible to catch someone in an embarrassing inadvertent move. In the case of a lost book bag it would seem the Safety Officer would also view the video with the teacher.

When did routine videoing of classrooms begin with teachers having access? That's new to me. I understand school is different, but hasn't the public always been told that government videos would only be used for certain purposes and privacy would never be compromised? What if a teacher catches someone scratching a private place? If that teacher is alone viewing the video what privacy does the student have? That's why the teacher shouldn't be allowed to view the video alone. I had always thought all government video access would be carefully controlled by some type of law enforcement. Big Brother and all.

Let's turn this thing around. Can a parent review the videos? What if a parent has a problem with a teacher and wants to see the video? Government, school property...yes?

Humble Angela
Humble Angela 04/02/13 - 10:20 am
Thanks nocnoc.

Thanks nocnoc.

GiantsAllDay
GiantsAllDay 04/02/13 - 10:24 am
A couple of comments: 1)

A couple of comments:
1) George Orwell would have been proud of CCBOE and CC faculty/staff.
2) NocNoc: shouldn't whether or not the caress was lewd or the fondling obscene be up to the the receiver, aka the "gropee"? I don't know how old you are but I'm in my 50's and bases were as follows:
1st base-kissing
2nd base-fondling above the waist
3rd base- fondling below the waist
Home run-intercourse
Maybe in this case the student was rounding second and the the third base coach was waving him in.

David Parker
David Parker 04/02/13 - 10:28 am
Gasp

Sex sells. The bookbag theft is just scenery. meh

Jane18
Jane18 04/02/13 - 10:51 am
Some Unbelievable Comments!

And just what would some of you "permissive" ones be saying if the camera had caught someone injuring or killing someone? What would your thoughts been if the camera had been proof of a crime? Wrong or inappropriate acts by these students should have been reported. Come on people, where is your common sense? I guess the same place the students' were......in the garbage!

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 04/02/13 - 10:58 am
At least it was 2 students,

At least it was 2 students, not a teacher and a student.

Dixieman
Dixieman 04/02/13 - 11:04 am
DIXIEMAN GOT A WHOLE LOTTA POINTS

If it had been boyonboy or girlongirl action there would be a parade celebrating it in downtown Augusta.
I'm just jealous...never got into anything like this in high school myself, but not for lack of trying!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/02/13 - 11:36 am
Why are we surprised at this..

Turn on the tv at anytime day or night & see how to make babies...

The jails wouldn't hold all the kids who are guilty of touching each other in school or on school grounds...the teens should be separated in class but filing criminal charges is waaayy out of line imho.

Something tells me this is what the teacher was looking for all the time & not a school bag problem.....jmo.

Red Headed Step Child
Red Headed Step Child 04/02/13 - 11:48 am
There's been reports of sex on school buses...

so I'm not surprised that something like this has been done in the classroom - let alone captured on video. You have to have some major cajones to do this in school...maybe that's what they were checking out! heh heh

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 04/02/13 - 12:01 pm
Have mercy. If there were

Have mercy. If there were cameras and such irrational reactions to such things in my school days, I probably still would be locked up.

allhans
allhans 04/02/13 - 12:49 pm
So where was the teacher

So where was the teacher while this was taking place?
That would be my first question.

augusta817
augusta817 04/02/13 - 02:37 pm
Where was the teacher

Best point made.
Did the teacher think the students' smiles were because they loved the class THAT much?