Lakeside homecoming queen to appear on 'Steve Harvey'

Friday, Nov. 30, 2012 11:37 AM
Last updated 8:27 PM

Lakeside High School homecoming queen Jessica Giddens, a teen with Down syndrome whose celebratory image lit up the school and social media, will make her national television debut Monday.

Jessica Giddens celebrates after being named Lakeside High School homecoming queen as her father, John Gidderns, looks on.  JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF
JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF

Jessica recently taped an appearance on Steve Harvey, which airs locally at 3 p.m. on WJBF (Channel 6).

The Lakeside High senior will be with other students Monday afternoon to watch the show in the school’s media center, Assistant Principal Melanie Sprouse said.

“We’ve got a special chair for her to sit in that looks like a panther paw” – the school’s mascot is a panther – “and she’ll be wearing her tiara,” Sprouse said.

The segment is to be broadcast as part of the program’s Heroes Series and will include video vignettes from other Lakeside High students whose lives have been touched by Jessica’s enthusiasm, Sprouse said.

“I think it’s going to be great,” she said.

A producer told her that Harvey, after the taping, asked for Jessica to be booked for a future show and called the senior a “superstar,” Sprouse said.

The photo and story about Jessica’s be­ing named homecoming queen Oct. 26 received thousands of shares on Facebook.

HenryWalker3rd
HenryWalker3rd 11/30/12 - 12:56 pm
This is the 2nd time that I

This is the 2nd time that I know of where a local child was featured on this show. I heard that Steve loves Augusta.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 11/30/12 - 01:22 pm
I don't know whether he likes

I don't know whether he likes Augusta or not, but I really like him. I don't know and don't want to know his politics; but he is a funny guy and seems pretty genuine.

As for the article, I think it is awesome that kids can see through the pop culture images of beauty queens to see the inner beauty of people.

David Parker
David Parker 11/30/12 - 02:27 pm
Her reaction was so pure and

Her reaction was so pure and the crowd fed off that. It was a great moment to be apart of.

OpenCurtain
OpenCurtain 11/30/12 - 03:27 pm
Happy for her

Happy for her...

No mention of who was selected as Homecoming King that will be or was her date and rein over the prom?

BamaMan
BamaMan 11/30/12 - 04:35 pm
Absolute joy...

for her. Even better is how her obviously very proud dad was snapped in the background. it completes the picture. I'm proud that there are still kids in the world, especially here in our area, that can see the real person, God's creation. Kudos to the kids at Lakeside.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/30/12 - 05:44 pm
I don't know about this whole

I don't know about this whole concept which is a common occurence.

fatboyhog
1930
fatboyhog 11/30/12 - 08:53 pm
What concept?

They chose a homecoming queen based on beauty. It just so happens that she has Down syndrome. I guess it means that younger people can get past physical appearance and handicaps to see the real person. It's good to see that it's not a popularity contest at Lakeside, but that the kids chose one of their peers because they respect and admire her. Good for them. They help restore my faith in humanity.

redapples
redapples 11/30/12 - 11:46 pm
Jessica has a larger than

Jessica has a larger than life personality and serves LHS well as Homecoming Queen. To meet her is to love her!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 12/01/12 - 08:08 am
This Is

a special moment of pure "Beauty." Very rare in today's society.

elizaw
elizaw 12/01/12 - 08:52 am
Fatboyhog

Your comment is best Said!

Riverman1
Riverman1 12/01/12 - 04:18 pm
I understand your feelings, Fatyboy.

Fatyboy, time for me to go against the grain here. I have a relative who has Downs Syndrome and I love him dearly, but what happens in these many cases of Special Ed kids being selected as prom, homecoming, etc. queens and kings is that it is patronizing the disabled kids. It’s more about a statement from others.

Don’t think this Lakeside circumstance is rare. It happens OFTEN in many schools and has been played many times all over the country. I understand it is a feel good experience for the public, but throwing the child up there to fend with a local and national press is suspect. The homecoming queen and king should be those who comfortably and capably represent the school and if a Special Ed kid does that best, so be it. I can see it is possible, but that would be rare.