Members of the search committee cut the list from four to two candidates Thursday during an open meeting at the Board of Education office.
By law, names of the candidates must remain private for their job security, said school board attorney Pete Fletcher.
After interviews, the finalists’ names will be announced.
The 14-member search committee has been meeting since September after Superintendent Charles Nagle announced his retirement in July.
The group reviewed 18 potential candidates and made its first cuts last week.
The school system’s Human Resources director, Anthony Wright, spent the past week screening and talking to the four candidates.
He said they all spoke highly of the county’s schools.
“All of them are very interested, very complimentary,” Wright said.
The candidates eliminated were one who had twice been relieved of his job duties and another who lived out of state and was also interested in a position elsewhere.
Of the two candidates who remain, one seems to be the clear front-runner.
“I think one of our candidates is so strong,” board Chairwoman Regina Buccafusco said.
The next step is for school board members to interview the two finalists, which is planned later this month.
The board hopes to choose a superintendent by Dec. 18. The public must have 14 days to review the final two candidates before a decision is made.