Regents won't change 'GRU' name

Despite many complaints from the Augusta area, the Georgia Board of Regents has no plans to change its decision to use the name Georgia Regents University for the new consolidated Augusta State University and Georgia Health Sciences University.

According to a statement released Wednesday from Board of Regents Chairman Benjamin Tarbutton III, who also represents Augusta and the 12th Congressional District:

“I read the story in today’s Augusta Chronicle regarding the name for the new consolidated university in Augusta. We all appreciate that there are different viewpoints and good arguments on every side. But the Board of Regents weighed the alternatives and concluded that the name should reflect the new institution’s statewide mission. Now we need to move on to the next stages of consolidation. We do understand the strong feelings around the issue, but the Board will not reconsider its action. We are committed to building a strong, comprehensive research university in Augusta.”

tckr1983
tckr1983 08/16/12 - 09:13 am
Tarbutton... Augusta's Benedict Arnold

"We appreciate that there are different viewpoints and arguments on every side..." - Translation: Viewpoints of the BOR/Azziz and the viewpoints of EVERYONE ELSE AGAINST THE NAME!

The arrogance of these APPOINTED wannabe demigods...

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/16/12 - 09:15 am
What Does He Really Mean?

He said, "But the Board of Regents weighed the alternatives and concluded that the name should reflect the new institution’s statewide mission."

ASU has always been open to students from everywhere. Nothing changes. GHSU has always been open to students from everywhere. Nothing changes. The role of both institutions remains the same.

It's becoming clearer to me is UGA didn't want a branch medical school on their campus called University of Augusta. That was the narrow focus of the regents.

I propose the Chronicle and everyone else simply keep referring to ASU by that name for clarity in reports and so on, to differentiate it from the medical school. GHSU remains that, too, for clarity. Sure they can have the big name of GRU, but for all practical purposes we need to be specific. I'd also say this would go for athletics.

TParty
TParty 08/16/12 - 09:35 am
So what can we do, seriously?

So what can we do, seriously? What are our options? Is leaving the school the option?

David Parker
David Parker 08/16/12 - 09:37 am
I refer to my post in the

I refer to my post in the article : "Open Forum on Merger Today"

where I state:

My guess is the forum is not to benefit those in disagreement with the GRU name. It is designed to demonstrate some kind of hokey due-diligence process on the part of the administrator. Heck, they may even get some photos for p.r.. If they were clearly interested in addressing the issue and resolving things, they would do this "forum" thing at the protest on campus set for Monday.

I stand corrected, there will be no demonstration of hokey due diligence on the part of the administration. They are saying, NO NO NO to discussion outright. My hope going forward, is for the admins to always remember, for the rest of their days, that the people in this town feel disenfranchised and profoundly insulted by them personally. You have succeeded in injuring everyone associated with this university at the cost of your "vision". While I supported the merger and the development of our school initially, you have now taken command of it and trashed its identify. I consider you all occupiers and unfriendlies. That said, enjoy your pep rally or whatever you want to call it, you're running this show anyway.

Edward1968
Edward1968 08/16/12 - 09:37 am
I Agree

I agree that we should still call ASU and GHSU by those names. Actually I still call GHSU by its "real" name, MCG; I always will.

I also would like to know how much time Azziz puts into matters at MCG other than the expansion and renaming. Is he keeping watch on the issues we brought him here for, such as running the school and hospital, not ruining them?

UGADawgs
UGADawgs 08/16/12 - 10:06 am
Options...

I didn't want a diploma from GRU, I am working while my job pays for my continued education. I felt as though a diploma that read GRU may not be received well in the job market outside of the CSRA. As of yesterday, I am no longer a registered student at ASU. I have submitted my application for USC-Aiken to continue my degree starting in Jan '13. I hope people remember there are other Universities close by that offer many of the same degrees.

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/16/12 - 10:06 am
My Names Will Never Change!

MCG, ASU, Clarks Hill and others will always be the same for me and I will call them that. Looks like the Little Man might have won this round but we will wait and see how long this Little Man Empire satisfies him.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 08/16/12 - 10:28 am
Quite right, Regents

This pie is baked. The name cannot be changed again.

One cannot, indefinitely, change the name of an academic institution of the stature of MCG/GHSU without incurring damage. Where does it stop? I mean, seriously. This is the second name change in the space of two years. Another name change would make it three but more importantly, what are the guarantees that the next change will make everybody happy? If discontent lingered, would that mean a fourth name change and perhaps a fifth? A sixth?

Sorry, folks. It can't go on. We're done here.

Secondly, much of this protest is based on a fallacious assumption. Specifically, that the Augusta hoi polloi must be satisfied with the name. That's entirely incorrect. GHSU might hang out its shingle in Augusta but it exists in an alternative universe. That universe is academia. It's a universe where survival depends on research grants, the ability to attract good faculty and the ability to attract good students as well as maintaining connections with its alumni. Furthermore, it is supported by the taxes of Georgians who live all over the state and not only on the Hill and in Summerville. Its students likewise come from all over the state. Its vision extends far beyond the CSRA.

Georgia Regents University is a mediocre and uninspiring name but amongst the options offered there was, in fact, one which was much worse; The University of Augusta.

nheath
nheath 08/16/12 - 10:43 am
Regents won't change 'GRU' name

If the board is elected vote them out of office. If they are appointed then vote out whom ever appointed them!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/16/12 - 10:47 am
Well, I guess he done tol' us'ns.

So shut up and do yer jobs, ya peons. Who the h-e-double-hockey-sticks do ya think ya are having an opinyun on matters above yer station, huh?

Thanks, Ben. I rise to offer you the chance to kiss my anatomy exactly as you have done to us. Perhaps you will glean from whatever fall-out does occur why unions came into being and why class warfare happens. It's because of people like you, and there are at least 17 others just like you involved in this decision, who treat people like us as if we are irrelevant to our own lives.

You jerks have made a lot of people unhappy when there was absolutely no reason to do that. The name you "picked" is a stupid name and will never be as elegant or have the dignity that the University of Augusta would have from the very outset.

You (collectively) may be rich or even well-educated, but you lack class.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 08/16/12 - 10:53 am
Solution is simple

The solution is simple in this situation. Everyone knows that Azziz and the board doesn't give a flip what you think and are not about to change things because you don't like it. So your response should be the total and complete lack of support for anything this new university does. I.E. no money of yours goes their direction.

Examples: You use a doctor that is a MCG Doctor? Find a new doctor. ASU puts on a concert? Don't buy a ticket. Your child wants to go to college? Don't let them go there.

If you cut them completely off long enough they will re-visit the name change.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/16/12 - 12:36 pm
@ nheath

The Board of Regents are appointed by the governor. I'm in favor of voting him out, but we would have to suffer the uncertainties of a Democrat governor. It probably would not be too bad to have a Democrat governor because the General Assembly would still be Republican.

By the way, I'm no Republican. I'm a Libertarian.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/16/12 - 12:42 pm
Commission Letters

Just as a matter of principle and going on record, the county commissions of Richmond and Columbia should pass their resolutions and send their letters to the Board of Regents. Those governmental bodies need to be able to show how they were blown off just as we citizens were.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/16/12 - 12:47 pm
General Assembly

The next thing is for our local legislators to begin laying the groundwork to button-hole and arm-twist their compadres in the legislature to pass a state law naming the university. That will override the regents.

It will bring blacks and whites together to see Hardie Davis and Jesse Stone on the same side of an issue; to see Wayne Howard and Barbara Sims on the same side of an issue.

But they need to start laying the groundwork now. If they wait till January, they will get crowded out of the calendar.

Tullie
Tullie 08/16/12 - 01:08 pm
Commissioners Kinda Silent

What do our local commissioners think about this? We know what one says now, today. I haven't heard a peep out of mine, unless I have missed it.

We all need to start calling, writing, them. Let them know we have noticed their silence on this matter.

jrallen1962
jrallen1962 08/16/12 - 01:11 pm
Name

I heard from a very reliable source that Mr. Tarbutton has all intentions of running for governor as soon as Gov. Deal is done. If he ignores us now just image him in a higher office.

KSL
KSL 08/16/12 - 01:54 pm
It's no longer my state,

It's no longer my state, but, I'll do what I can.

CryoCyberTronics
CryoCyberTronics 08/16/12 - 03:24 pm
The Universal Government Kingdom Cat Be Used By The BoR

Doess The Universal Government Kingdom of GOD ring A bell? Sorry to say that it's Home is Augista Georgia only because it can't be used by The Georgia Board of Regents with The GRU to better all othe public Universites and colleges in the State of Georgia!

NrthAugustaSam
NrthAugustaSam 08/16/12 - 06:47 pm
Consider This!

Consider changing leadership at GRU then, Regents! Consider letting the governor know that he cannot count on Augusta in the next election! Consider the fact that when Deal is gone you can be replaced. Consider admitting that you hired the wrong guy for Augusta. Consider Azziz has lost all cred in Augusta! Consider that!

just an opinion
just an opinion 08/16/12 - 07:57 pm
It's ASU/MCG

Stick to it. Don't give in!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/16/12 - 08:12 pm
The really sickening thing about this

is that even Azziz doesn't believe any of this great name recognition will happen for 20 or more years!

What y'all wanna bet this stupid-sounding invitation to mockery doesn't last 2 years beyond Azziz's tenure here, or earlier if the BOR in its present form meets its demise?

GRUnt
Georgia Regional University
Georgia Rejects University

The list is probably endless and the calls for creativity could not be more clear.

Very sad.

Insider Information
Insider Information 08/16/12 - 11:45 pm
SACS: Our Last Hope

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, ASU and MCG's accrediting agency, is our last hope.

In recent years, SACS has taken an aggressive stance against poor school governance. SACS made national news when it revoked Clayton County's accreditation.

Please, Dr. Elgart, come to our rescue.

KSL
KSL 08/17/12 - 02:34 am
I am betting on your side,

I am betting on your side, Fiat. He is out of here. But I am calling for him to he scathed. I know you don't want him gone. But he isn't the only knife in the drawer. Sometime you just need to start over, but with a different perspective. Like one that it is not all about me.

justputtin
justputtin 08/17/12 - 05:01 am
"won't change name"?

What arrogant incompetence!!! This is spoken by someone appointed, not elected. SACS? Let's try that. We have to hit on all cylinders fighting this one. If they can't get this right how can we trust them to do anything else in this merger??!?

noway
noway 08/17/12 - 07:35 am
SACS

Possibly, SACS won't accredit the new institution if the community isn't behind the new name. There needs to be community support for the new U and if it isn't there, accreditation will be hard. I am also interested to know where this $400,000,000 is coming from to infuse into this new university that Deke was talking about on tv. They keep throwing around these numbers, but ASU may be facing furloughs. It's confusing. I guess it's to he$$ with the people!

David Parker
David Parker 08/17/12 - 08:55 am
It wouldn't surprise me if

It wouldn't surprise me if both the Regees and Dr Z didn't like the GRU name, but they drank the koolaid hoping it will transcend into something of merit. Basically, they throw Augusta under the bus and at the same time expect it's legacy to support things until their marketing starts paying dividends.

Kingbiscuitboy
Kingbiscuitboy 08/17/12 - 09:25 am
Dorms and a sports program

OK, if there is nothing that can be done about the name and the goal is to globalize the university, a push to get actual dorms built on campus and a football program started with a stadium and everything else that goes with it. Oh! Wait a minute. The campus is landlocked. Nevermind.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen