Education

More News | |

Brigham pleased to see 'Augusta' in choices

Friday, June 15, 2012 6:22 PM
Last updated 9:59 PM

The Augusta Commission attempted to weigh in on a name for the city’s new university before the committee considering the possibilities completed its task, with Commissioner Jerry Brigham introducing a resolution requesting that the University System of Georgia Board of Regents include “Augusta” in the name.

Brigham's resolution failed to get six supporting commission votes, but he said Friday he was happy to see the name of his beloved hometown in three of the choices.

“I’m pleased,” Brigham said. “Hopefully the Board of Regents will have the sense to put Augusta in the name.”

Commissioner Matt Ait­ken, one of two present to vote against Brigham’s resolution, said after the options were presented that he preferred “Augusta University” or “University of Augusta.”

Commissioner Bill Lock­ett said after seeing the final list that he regretted not supporting Brigham’s resolution.

“To think that those were the six finalists, can you imagine what the other six must have looked like?” Lockett said. “I just think we need to possibly go back to the drawing board, and I don’t think I’m going to be alone in my feelings.”

Mayor Deke Copenhaver, known to talk up the Augusta, Georgia, “brand” in economic development sessions, did not return a call seeking comment.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/15/12 - 09:58 pm
Too bad...

Too bad they didn't include Augusta State University in the choices. It would have been the best one because that is what it IS! Even better: Augusta State University could be the umbrella entity name over Augusta College campus, Medical College campus and any other colleges that could be included (dental? cancer research? etc.) ASU sure sounds better than AU. More recognizable, too. Why not? Yale University has several colleges on its campus, for instance. Why not?

KSL
KSL 06/16/12 - 10:01 am
You are correct and I know

You are correct and I know that you know even more subtle and underlying reasons. Augusta what ever is the Latin nominative case. It is dominate and pro-active while the University of is the very weak ablative case.

Now while many may think I am presenting archaic BS from a dead language, think about the logistics. Nominative case states a dominance, at least when it refers to the education matter. Ablative case lies 5th in the noun declension. It must have a preposition in front of it like of or to or from. Immediately the importance of this new combined educational entity is diminished. The university of Augusta immediately implies Augusta has other intities of similar worth, which it does. But the stated mission here is to give 2 old and entities their rightful prominence.

GAgirlbornNraised
GAgirlbornNraised 06/16/12 - 05:07 am
ASU.... Should stay ASU.....

ASU.... Should stay ASU..... Point, blank, period! End of discussion -ASU Student

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/16/12 - 07:21 am
KSL, you are making my head

KSL, you are making my head hurt early in the morning. How in the world do you remember that? I sat threw a year of Latin in highschool and can only remember amo, amas, amat. Every now and then I'll see a word derived from Latin and note it as if I know what I'm talking about. Heh.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/16/12 - 07:23 am
I admire Ole Jerry B for

I admire Ole Jerry B for making his point though. Someone had to let them know we were concerned.

eb97
eb97 06/16/12 - 08:14 am
I believe the powers that be

I believe the powers that be will get what they want. It may not be what the people want to see as the name. How unfortunate.

CryoCyberTronics
CryoCyberTronics 06/16/12 - 08:47 am
Augusta in name in auniversity's new name

Something to think about. what would it mean if the name on your college degrees, an institution where you studied,where you learned, where you developed your skill of you careers and professions. The place, the area, the community, the city, the state, the student body, the faculty, the administration, the professors, the nobility and status of the institution, the progressive and professional attitude of the alumni and future potential students, and the overall environment of the institutions prospective perceptions of it's local, state, regional, national, and international status. With that being said. With all due respect. Hey Wilfs careful analysis.

The Augusta International State University of Georgia.

Thanks to all the people who've help make our city and learning institutions great you students and athletes alike.

KSL
KSL 06/16/12 - 10:04 am
LOL, Riverman. I had the best

LOL, Riverman. I had the best Latin teacher in the state of GA.

I love, you love, he, she, or it loves. Is that the first conjugation everyone learned?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/16/12 - 10:55 am
KSL

I learned real fast to hate Latin when I was an Altar Boy....

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/16/12 - 02:51 pm
Thanks everyone...

Thank you to everyone that agreed with me...I appreciate the thumbs up. I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking along these lines. I can't imagine why Augusta State University wasn't in the list of choices. Remember the story of the Emperor and His New Clothes?

CryoCyberTronics
CryoCyberTronics 06/16/12 - 08:56 pm
For some reason som of the

For some reason som of the words that I wrote were changed. Well so much for a black man's opinion. I don't speak Latin but I know some people that speek pig Latin because that what you sound like to be. You know you are. One of the reasons why Augusta fell from grace. Cause you think the world was created just for you and your kink. Sorry but you can't have the affect on me as the way you and your kind is having on president oboma . I will always remain true to myself. While knowing why you are the ssume of the earth.

CryoCyberTronics
CryoCyberTronics 06/16/12 - 11:42 pm
Something to think about.

Something to think about. what would it mean if the name on your college degrees, an institution where you studied, where you learned, where you developed your skill of you careers and professions. The institution where you received you education at. The place, the area, the community, the city, the state, the student body, the faculty, the administration, the professors, the nobility and status of the institution, the progressive and professional attitude in which the institution strive to project. The alumni and future potential students, and the overall environment of the institutions prospective perceptions of it's local, state, regional, national, and international status. With that being said. With all due respect. And with a careful but thoughtful analysis.

"The Augusta International State University of Georgia."

Thanks to all the people who've contributed to make our city, community's and learning institutions great, your contributions are appreciated employes, students and athletes alike.