The teacher tried to stop him, and they fell to the ground. The student was upset by the word “crab” because it can be used as a derogatory term toward members of the Crips gang, according to the tribunal’s finding.
The student was suspended for the remainder of the 2011-12 year and the first semester of the 2012-13 year but will receive special education services during the suspension, as required by law.
The following findings are from tribunals held May 8 and May 15. All students were given the option to attend the Tubman Education Center Alternative Program unless otherwise noted.
• A Tubman Education Center student rode a mo-ped onto the Collins K-8 School campus and taunted the students at recess May 3. The Tubman student did not have permission to be at Collins and was suspended for the remainder of the 2011-12 year and assigned to the alternative program for the 2012-13 year.
• On May 2, a Lucy C. Laney High School student showed a gun and bullets to three students and threatened to shoot two students. The student was expelled for the rest of the 2011-12 year and the 2012-13 year and assigned to the alternative program for the 2013-2014 year.
• On May 9, a Glenn Hills Middle School student found a lighter, lit a piece of balled-up paper and put it in his desk because “he could not get it out.” The student was suspended for the rest of the 2011-12 year.
• A Hephzibah High School student brought a homemade knife made of glass to school April 24. The student was suspended for the rest of the 2011-12 year and the first semester of the 2012-13 year.
• An Academy of Richmond County student was in possession of a small amount of marijuana, a marijuana pipe and Vyvanse pills April 30. The student was allowed to take his year-end exams and, if he is not eligible for graduation, will be suspended for the 2012-13 school year.
• Two W.S. Hornsby K-8 School students came to school while on suspension April 26 and stole other students’ shoes while they were in P.E. class. Both were suspended for the rest of the 2011-12 year and the first semester of the 2012-13 year.