Readers offer more suggestions for ASU-GHSU merger name

A name for the merged Augusta State and Georgia Health Sciences universities continues to fire the imagination of Augusta Chronicle readers who are e-mailing in their suggestions..

Drew Dixon, a student at ASU, likes Augusta National University, to reflect both the location and the national ambitions of the combined school.

He said his suggestion is not a reference to the famous golf club but is meant to signal a fresh start: “ANU – begin anew.”

The school’s potential for economic development prompted Dr. Lucia Cordell Getsi to suggest Georgia ATM U – Georgia Arts Technology Medicine University.

A professor emeritus of comparative literature at Illinois State University, she has seen the politics that can develop around schools changing names and cautioned against incorporating an existing name into the new name.

She is not sure her suggestion would sit well with the establishment but “it does speak to young people,” she said with a laugh.

With technical specialization at both schools, GHSU with health science and ASU with liberal arts, Freddie O’Neal suggested the Institute of Augusta.

Other suggestions are:

• Honoring an Augustan who signed the Declaration of Independence, George Walton, with George Walton University, George Walton University of Arts and Sciences, or George Walton University of Arts and Sciences at Augusta

• Getting away from the Georgia name for a more regional feel, HealthSouth University

• MUCG – Medical University and College of Georgia

• Medical College of Geor­gia and State University

• Georgia State Education and Health University

• Augusta Georgia Health Science University

WHAT SHOULD IT BE CALLED?

Augusta State and Georgia Health Sciences universities will be renamed as they merge into one institution. What should the new name be? E-mail your suggestions to tom.corwin@augustachronicle.com.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 01/13/12 - 05:50 pm
If you merge the acronyms

If you merge the acronyms GHSU and ASU, what do you get?

GAS-USH! Georgia Augusta State University for Science and Health

HUG-UASS! Health University of Georgia -University of Augusta State and Science

SHUGA-US State Health University of Georgia and Augusta University of Science

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 01/13/12 - 06:02 pm
They are all too

They are all too cumbersome and dull.

Jobotron2012
Jobotron2012 01/13/12 - 06:16 pm
I prefer Georgia Arts and

I prefer Georgia Arts and Medicine University (GAMU) at this point. A lot of these proposed names are just outlandish. GAMU represents the liberal arts and medical backgrounds of the respective institutions and follows a familiar naming structure ( ex. FAMU).

createyourfuture
createyourfuture 01/13/12 - 06:33 pm
Georgia A & M University

Georgia A & M University

trimmy
trimmy 01/13/12 - 06:47 pm
How about Azziz is the Big

How about Azziz is the Big Cheese U. I'm sure he would go for that.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 01/13/12 - 08:18 pm
My personal favorite is

My personal favorite is "Augusta Arts and Sciences University". Think that one has a chance?

Or "Georgia Arts and Sciences Polytechnic".

Pickett
Pickett 01/13/12 - 09:42 pm
Good God Almighty! Do you

Good God Almighty! Do you REALLY need that many components to re-name a college? Seriously? Is "George Walton University of Arts and Sciences at Augusta" a serious contender as a name? I thought Georgia Health Sciences was lame. Geez, people. I know one sure way to keep potential students AWAY from that school. If I had to answer the question of "Where do/did you go to school"? I sure as heck wouldn't want to answer with a title that sounds like a sentence. How about keeping it simple? Georgia A&M, George Walton Univ. (GWU) are great starts. Naming it HealthSouth Univ sounds like an insurance company. I am really blown away that these are the best suggestions that people are coming up with.

Give the grads a name they won't be embarrassed to pronounce when they are interviewing for a job.

PositiveThinker
PositiveThinker 01/13/12 - 09:50 pm
Georgia A&M (Arts and

Georgia A&M (Arts and Medicine)

imwatching
imwatching 01/13/12 - 10:46 pm
Augusta State Health

Augusta State Health Sciences....ASHS

Bryt
Bryt 01/13/12 - 10:54 pm
I like several of these

I like several of these names, but remember that most schools with "A&M" or "AM" in their names are traditionally Agricultural and either Military or Mechanical schools. :-)

KSL
KSL 01/13/12 - 11:14 pm
Don't you people who pay

Don't you people who pay taxes in GA want you premier medical college to sound like a medical college/university? Combining the two certainly boosts the credentials of those who have been accepted at Augusta State. I'm sorry, but the combo disgusts me. And yes, though I have long since been a resident of GA, I've had tax money taken from our family income for most of my life. I don't have a vote, but I certainly have a say.

The whole idea is about savings. So some administrative people will have to go with the merger. Now are they really going to save money, or are they going to have to be forced into paying those upper echelon people more money because, boo hoo, they have taken on more work than they had before?

The short term changing of the name at huge expense sends me into outrage. You can't convince me that Azziz took the job not knowing that this was in the background works.

Cestlavie
Cestlavie 01/13/12 - 11:15 pm
East Central Georgia

East Central Georgia University, University of Summerville, George Walton University

KSL
KSL 01/13/12 - 11:20 pm
As far as Georgia goes, it

As far as Georgia goes, it ain't central. As to the rest of your names, ???????.

And yes, I recognize sarcasm.

raul
raul 01/13/12 - 11:29 pm
georia health sciences and

georia health sciences and state university-Augusta

Cestlavie
Cestlavie 01/13/12 - 11:35 pm
Augusta is located in the

Augusta is located in the EAST central part of GA. Summerville is the neighborhood in which ASU is located. George Walton was an Augustan who was one of the original signers of the Declaration of Independence.

Cestlavie
Cestlavie 01/13/12 - 11:42 pm
According to the AAMC

According to the AAMC (American Association of Medical Colleges) the official name of GHSU is Medical College of GA at GA Heath Sciences University. Since most medical schools are associated with a university, the new name should be MCG @ whatever university. I personally like Little Lamb's suggestion of Central Savannah River University.

willie7
willie7 01/14/12 - 12:06 am
East Georgia University!

East Georgia University!

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 01/14/12 - 09:45 am
I can't believe people have

I can't believe people have left out the most obvious one. It would kill 2 birds with 1 stone AND be simple. James Brown University. It honors a local legend and hints of medical i.e. "I Feel Good." Also when they leave the hospital, "Get Up, I said get on up."

David Parker
David Parker 01/14/12 - 10:52 am
Good Foot School of Podiatry

Good Foot School of Podiatry even . I'm down.

The National University is missing "inter". I believe this merge is to draw applicants globally and interact in the same.

my entry after careful thought would be The Lucy Craft Laney University.

LCLU not cumbersumb as it rolls . GO JAGS

allhans
allhans 01/14/12 - 10:57 am
Is it to be known as a school

Is it to be known as a school or a hospital? Or both?
I would think it would be inclusive of both.
A person needing medical attention wouldn't look for a college...

itsanotherday
itsanotherday 01/14/12 - 11:56 am
Georgia University of

Georgia University of Medicine & Arts @ Augusta.

Think farther outside of the box; "George Walton School of Medicine and Arts", or fill in the name of your choice. It will have to be a name of prestige that students will want to have on their medical degree.

itsanotherday
itsanotherday 01/14/12 - 11:57 am

itsanotherday
itsanotherday 01/14/12 - 11:58 am
delete double

delete double

whyme
whyme 01/14/12 - 12:08 pm
Here's a thought: ASU:

Here's a thought: ASU: Augusta State University. MCG: Medical College of Georgia. Sound familiar? They should-that's what they've been forever and should stay separate. Oh, wait, it's a done deal before they ever voted. Didn't Dr. Azziz just pay a ton of $ to have MCG changed to GHSU? And now change again? I don't think so. Something is definitely fishy about all of these "improvements."

Dipshot
Dipshot 01/14/12 - 03:06 pm
I say name it Froghollah

I say name it Froghollah Finishing School and be done with it, because when all is said and done .. that's the kind of "prestige" this new university will have.

allhans
allhans 01/14/12 - 05:58 pm
I will go along with Georgia

I will go along with Georgia Arts Technology Medicine University

junkyardpig
junkyardpig 01/14/12 - 08:43 pm
university of georgia-augusta

university of georgia-augusta to give augusta a big time feel like atlanta and athens. augusta is the 2nd largest metro area in georgia but columbus, macon, savannah, statesboro and valdosta all have larger colleges with larger sports programs (except golf) why?

Riverman1
Riverman1 01/14/12 - 11:28 pm
One thing I'm sure of. It

One thing I'm sure of. It won't be University of Georgia-Anything. The current schools have nothing to do with UGA except GHSU has a branch medical school at UGA.

Global001
Global001 01/15/12 - 08:20 pm
ASU and GHSU have almost

ASU and GHSU have almost nothing in common except both offer a Bachelors of Science in Nursing degree, so the merger does not make sense to me. If the merger occurs, I recommend a name of Georgia International University to acknowledge both universities have numerous international students. Many businesses in the Augusta conduct business internationally with some of their have foreign owners.

Frank I
Frank I 01/16/12 - 03:07 am
a little more research

a little more research Riverman before being so derogatory... ASU and MCG (er, GHSU) are both members of the University System of GA.. UGA is also a member and all three being members share the same governing body of regents...

Clemson halts mandatory student sex survey

CLEMSON, S.C. - Clemson says it has suspended a mandatory survey of students the school says was part of a review to prevent sexual discrimination, harassment and assault.