6 Glenn Hills Middle pupils suspended for sexual activity

Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2011 12:11 AM
Last updated 11:57 PM

Six Glenn Hills Middle School pupils were suspended after they were involved in sexual activity in the school, according to a Richmond County tribunal finding recently made public.

On Oct. 24, three of the pupils engaged in sexual activity, two were lookouts and one had a cellphone, according to a Nov. 2 tribunal finding.

The three who engaged in sexual activity were suspended for the rest of the school year, and the lookouts were suspended for the rest of the semester. All five were given the option to attend the Tubman Education Center alternative program in lieu of long-term suspension. The pupil who had the cellphone was given time served.

A Morgan Road Middle School special-education pupil came up behind another male pupil in the restroom Oct. 17 and made inappropriate motions and physical contact with him, according to an Oct. 26 tribunal finding. The offending pupil was suspended for the rest of the semester with the option to attend the alternative program.

A Collins K-8 special education pupil exposed himself to two female pupils in the classroom Oct. 12. He was given time served. The special-education team made othersuggestions, which the tribunal panel recommended be followed and which were not revealed in the Oct. 26 finding.

Two John S. Davidson Fine Arts Magnet School students printed unauthorized tickets to a school performance Oct. 14 and sold them to other students.

They were suspended for the rest of the semester with the option to attend the alternative program. They will return to their schools for the second semester and will not be allowed to return to Davidson, according to another Oct. 26 tribunal finding.

In the following tribunal cases, all pupils were given the option to attend the alternative program in lieu of long-term suspension, unless otherwise noted:

• A Pine Hill Middle School pupil had a pipe commonly used to smoke marijuana that contained marijuana residue on Oct. 13. He was suspended Oct. 26 for the rest of the semester.

• An Academy of Richmond County student threatened to shoot and kill another student Oct. 13. He was suspended Oct. 26 for the rest of the semester and placed on probation for the rest of the school year.

• Two Hephzibah High School students were suspended Nov. 2 after one hit another with a plastic pipe several times after school Oct. 20, and the other student had a pipe commonly used to smoke marijuana. The student who hit another was suspended for the rest of the school year, and the student with the marijuana pipe was suspended for the rest of the semester.

• A Richmond Academy student cut school and had a pipe commonly used to smoke marijuana Oct. 19. He was suspended Nov. 8 for the rest of the semester.

• Two Spirit Creek Middle School pupils attacked another pupil. The two pupils were suspended Nov. 8 for the rest of the semester and placed on probation for the second semester.

• A Spirit Creek pupil tried to get away from the teacher who was escorting him to the office and so he coulld get back to the pupil he had tried to fight on Oct. 27. He was suspended Nov. 8 for the rest of the school year.

dickworth1
dickworth1 11/23/11 - 02:26 am
If you want to stop this

If you want to stop this foolishness, start prosecuting the parents or
whomever is suppose to be the responsible person that is suppose to
be teaching these students what is right and wrong.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 11/23/11 - 03:09 am
"Why were these children

"Why were these children punished? Each said, 'I'm sorry.' What do you punitive Neanderthals want? A pound of flesh?"

class1
class1 11/23/11 - 06:51 am
Why don't you publish the

Why don't you publish the ones that the tribunal sends back to the schools for probation, so the community sees what goes unpunished in the schools system?

scoobynews
scoobynews 11/23/11 - 07:12 am
Class1 I agree!! There are

Class1 I agree!! There are countless cases similar to all this foolishness that get a slap on the hand and told "now don't you do that again" then sent right back to the classroom.

Frankie-B
Frankie-B 11/23/11 - 07:14 am
I got in -one- fight in High

I got in -one- fight in High School, in my Freshman year. The Dean of Boys told us both "call a parent", and he told my Dad "Sir, it's 3 days or three licks with the board", then handed the phone to me. My Dad asks "are you OK? (in which he was asking on multiple levels), to which I replied "yes sir". He then said "it's your decision", which was the lesson of the day in personal accountability. I took the licks, as did my opponent, we shook hands, and it was over. Neither of us had a police report filed, missed more than a part of one class, nor we're physically/emotionally scarred by the incident. I cannot even fathom how such a resolution could be implemented today...

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/23/11 - 07:31 am
All I can say I'm so thankful

All I can say I'm so thankful I'm not a teacher....congrats to those who can do the job.....I'm afraid I would want to whupp some hineys...right on the spot.

david jennings
david jennings 11/23/11 - 07:46 am
I attended Paul Knox

I attended Paul Knox Middle/NA and our principal Buren Lown was definitely my most respected figure of my school years. When we got out of line he would give us the choice, go home or take the licks. Most of us always took the licks and it hurt a while and we didn't run home crying to mama, in fact I probably didn't mention it. We knew it was fair and it created immense respect, but that was another era.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 11/23/11 - 08:00 am
they are innocent, can't you

they are innocent, can't you people see it wasn't sex, it was sex education, they were doing independent study regarding sex and the human anatomy......NOT just another day in the jungle they call the richmond county school system. they will not be expelled because that will mean loss of state/federal education funds.....

JRC2024
JRC2024 11/23/11 - 08:09 am
I received some licks in

I received some licks in front of the class and never acted up again. Hurt a little but embarrassed more.

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/23/11 - 08:25 am
Alternative school = No

Alternative school = No Punishment. It's a joke. We give lip service to discipline and punishment because it's too much trouble to actually maintain discipline and administer punishment. Nobody seems to be willing to admit the obvious. The generations of parents, teachers, and principals who used open hand spankings, switches, and paddles, and where punishment was swift and certain had the right answer. The "progressives" said that was abuse. No, what we are doing to our children now is abuse and neglect.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/23/11 - 08:30 am
dichotomy, you are so

dichotomy, you are so right....what we are doing to our children (lack of discipline) is abuse and neglect.

proudgunowner
proudgunowner 11/23/11 - 09:08 am
My stepson was attacked at

My stepson was attacked at middle school by another student, totally unprovoked as per witnesses. At the tribunal the principal told us that the offender would "under no circumstances return to the school". Three weeks later he was back and within a few days was arrested for assaulting a female student. Should I mention that racial hatred was involved in both incidents, but the principal and tribunal board said that would only matter had their respective races been reversed.....

allhans
allhans 11/23/11 - 09:12 am
Talk with a kid who have been

Talk with a kid who have been to alternative school. It accomplishes nothing, not even to keep them off the streets. They come and go at will.

blakkone
blakkone 11/23/11 - 09:34 am
Sorry folks but it's not the

Sorry folks but it's not the school's job to raise our kids and dish out some sort of capital punishment. Schools exist to educate. Disruptive students should be removed and sent to Alt. school so they do not disrupt other students who want to learn.

"Licks" or school "spankings" are a thing of the past. When I was in grade school, it wasn't the school i feared when i acted up, it was my mother finding out i acted up and what she would do to me. That's the problem, kids don't "fear" their parents.

I'm willing to bet with kids this young, all this activity was learned from either the parents or older siblings. The "home" must be fixed, not the schools.

Jane18
Jane18 11/23/11 - 09:39 am
No discipline, no respect =

No discipline, no respect = an unruly kid, then a juvenile delinquent, and then most likely, a criminal. It really is a pattern.

madgerman
madgerman 11/23/11 - 10:03 am
Just a question. What is a

Just a question. What is a "special education" student? Is it a kid who constantly misbehaves or is it a kid who in my younger days would have been called retarded? Is the title "special education" just a PC feel good title? And lastly why do we call it alternative school? Why not Dumb-Dumb school. Maybe if we called it what it is, the kids would be ashamed to have to go there and maybe they would change their behaviour.

allhans
allhans 11/23/11 - 10:28 am
madgerman..Good ideas there!

madgerman..Good ideas there!

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 11/23/11 - 10:33 am
Don't you get it, IT IS SHAME

Don't you get it, IT IS SHAME that drives them to these behaviors! How sad for these kids; they are so lost and empty; clueless without effective leadership. My heart grieves for them. They are not able to change their behavior, until someone helps them change their hearts. They need some new "want to's".

Many of these comments show your own lack of understanding and knowledge.

willie7
willie7 11/23/11 - 10:33 am
blakkone has it right---it's

blakkone has it right---it's the parents. Also special students weren't in schools years ago. They stayed home. We have them in school now and many of them do cause a lot of trouble.

iLove
iLove 11/23/11 - 10:36 am
PARC vs. Commonwealth of

PARC vs. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania 1972

Your view of Special Education is totally off.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 11/23/11 - 11:15 am
Here's how it works folks, in

Here's how it works folks, in public schools today.

The teachers are afraid of the principals.
The principals are afraid of the Board of Education.
The Board of Education is afraid of the parents.
The parents are afraid of the kids.
The kids are afraid of nobody.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 11/23/11 - 11:25 am
kiwi, You are right, there is

kiwi, You are right, there is a huge problem. But, the kids are fearful of everything. They have no confidence in themselves as people who can make it in this world. There is no acceptance for them, but among their own culture... it is a fearful, shameful, guilty, unpurposeful life that they are leading. It will not be cured with punishment.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/23/11 - 11:54 am
dichotomy...you are

dichotomy...you are absolutely RIGHT.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 11/23/11 - 12:41 pm
Yes, boundaries are essential

Yes, boundaries are essential for right living. Boundaries/discipline in love, are not the same as punishment. Love without rules/boundaries =
licentious behavior. No rules or rules without love =rebellion.
Punishment still doesn't fix the problem. Love conquers. The problem we have is not really knowing what love looks like and how it acts.

Patty-P, I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family.

x
x 11/23/11 - 02:31 pm
If no one else will say it i

If no one else will say it i will - get rid of the public schools..... ALL of them

bjphysics
bjphysics 11/23/11 - 03:30 pm
JRC2024: “I received some

JRC2024: “I received some licks…”

Unfortunately, when I was in school, girls weren’t into that sort of thing yet – to my eternal regret.

bclicious
bclicious 11/23/11 - 05:14 pm
TIS the season for giving,

TIS the season for giving, and it appears that these kids are giving quite a bit to one another.

ha ha , he he

jessica127
jessica127 11/23/11 - 10:08 pm
Dearest Willow... As i agree

Dearest Willow... As i agree with most of your posts...your last one i have to disagree. I was brought up in a loving home. With 2 loving parents. Both would have given their life up for me without a second thought and still would today. Because they loved me and wanted me to be a respectful child and later a respectful adult... They set rules. Rules that had to be followed. Also out of love... They set consequences for any rule(s) broken. The consequence?? A good old butt tearin up. Now keep in mind their love. Yes i would break the rules and yes i got a good whoopin everytime! Now these whoopins didnt break my spirit or make me feel less than human... They just fired up my butt for awhile. I learned quickly not to break the rules and after many times of reapin what i sowed my mind quickly went back to getting my butt tore up and it made me think twice about breakin any rules. I even would feel a hint of a sting on my rear just thinkin about crossin the boundry.....that sting caused me to turn around and run from the temptation of rule breaking. My parents tore my butt up because they loved me and today i thank them. Im not perfect ....only my Lord is but i have never been in jail, on drugs, never stole but once when i was 5 and i got tore out tha frame for that and iv never stole since then. I do not hurt people or kill people or destroy people, i do not lie in my adult age because when i lied to my parents i had to pay the consequence in childhood even into my late teen years. I pay my bills, i work hard, and i follow the laws. Period! All because my parents loved me enough to teach me what was right and what was wrong! Those whoopins taught me to choose to do the right things. To make the right choices. Not only for my benefit but for society also! I respect every human life and every person in my daily walk in society whether they are rich, poor, black, white, child, senior, mean or even nice. I thank my Parents for loving me and having the gaul to teach me right from wrong and that i have to be accountable for myself and my choices.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/23/11 - 10:12 pm
Thanks Willow. Happy

Thanks Willow. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

copperhead
copperhead 11/24/11 - 07:00 am
These poor poor children need

These poor poor children need love and understanding AND tolerance. We must tolerate any and everything they do. They are the poor poor victims and should be praised and rewarded for their fortitude. They need all the sex education they can get. Tolerance is the answer to all things!