Boy, 5, walks out of Goshen Elementary

Goshen Elementary’s principal estimates a kindergartner was missing for about 12 minutes Tuesday before he was found on the side of Old Waynesboro Road by a passer-by.

A 50-year-old man called police when he found the 5-year-old walking down the road in the 4000 block of Old Waynesboro Road about 11:40 a.m., according to an incident report. The boy said he was walking to his home in the 4100 block of Mark Walter Road.

Goshen Elementary, at 4040 Old Waynesboro Road, was on lockdown while the administration searched for the missing child.

Principal Malinda Cobb said no one knows how the child slipped out the front doors of the school without being seen by the front office staff. A teacher had allowed him to leave the class to go to the restrooom.

After the incident, administrators and faculty met to review procedures. They have agreed to implement a buddy system for all kindergartners and first graders who leave the classroom.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/02/11 - 02:27 pm
I did that once when I was in

I did that once when I was in kindergarten. I'm so glad he was found safe.

Ashleyn1
Ashleyn1 11/02/11 - 02:52 pm

Thank goodness for honest and caring people in the world or there is no telling where the boy would have ended up!

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/02/11 - 02:54 pm
Ashleyn, you make a good

Ashleyn, you make a good point but Old Waynesboro Road is such a busy road, I'm thankful this little one was hit by a car.

grouse
grouse 11/02/11 - 03:24 pm
I tried that when I was six

I tried that when I was six and had had enough of first grade. My older sister caught me and took me back to class...

rocketserve
rocketserve 11/02/11 - 04:02 pm
I have heard they have some

I have heard they have some teachers there who are questionable...especially in pre-k.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 11/02/11 - 04:06 pm
I remember a little boy doing

I remember a little boy doing this when I was in kindergarten! Our teacher was in her 60's and tried to catch him but couldn't. About 45 minutes later his mother brought him back with his rear end stinging!!

eb97
eb97 11/02/11 - 06:29 pm
I wonder if the teacher had

I wonder if the teacher had reported him missing from her class or did she even realize he wasn't there.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 11/03/11 - 03:59 am
(A)c, I ran away from home

(A)c,

I ran away from home ONCE. My Mama, for the only time in her life, gave me the same treatment as your Mama gave you for fleeing kindergarten.

Notice, I wrote "once."

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 11/03/11 - 04:00 am
Mama's actions were in

Mama's actions were in accordance with Jack Batson's "hard enough, fast enough" theory of discipline.

icyababy79
icyababy79 11/03/11 - 09:30 am
They will implement the buddy

They will implement the buddy system?! It wasn't already in place... WOW! My daughter went to Brookwood Elementary and had to be escorted to the office to go home by another student.

Vogtle workers see both reactor projects

Some veterans of the nuclear industry were at the site south of Augusta to see the complex network of rebar and concrete rising out of the ground in the 1970s and ’80s. Now, they are back.