'Chronicle' looking for high school journalists

Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2011 9:51 PM
Last updated 10:08 PM

The Augusta Chronicle is looking for two good high school journalists.

If you are chosen for the High School Reporters Academy, you will report for assignments as a journalist in The Chronicle’s newsroom for six to eight hours a week. You will be teamed with a writing coach and observe Chronicle coverage in action. You will be paid to write stories and become a published journalist.

In the process, you will learn to produce news stories, news briefs, blog items, Spotted photo galleries and videos. You will receive guidance primarily from education editor Jason Wermers, but other reporters and staff in the newsroom will contribute. You can develop stories from your school or other environments. You may cover events that happen downtown or write a community story that can be reported near your home or by phone or e-mail from the newsroom.

Each academy journalist will work three months and will generally work when school is in session and/or when education editor Jason Wermers is in the office.

What will you get from the academy? You will be immersed in a journalism experience and learn the responsibilities of managing your time. You will have ample opportunity to hone your writing and, should you desire, photography skills. Top work will result in a college application and résumé that will stand out.

Think you have what it takes? Think you might enjoy being a journalist?

Send the following to us: written recommendations from two of your teachers (one of these can be a guidance counselor or a principal, or both can be teachers); written permission from your parents; and a commitment to report to the newsroom two days a week.

E-mail these materials to jason.wermers@augustachronicle.com or send them to The Augusta Chronicle, Attn: Jason Wermers, P.O. Box 1928, Augusta, GA 30903-1928.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/01/11 - 10:38 pm
Super program. Truth be

Super program. Truth be known, I'm jealous of newspaper people. I always wanted to be one, but life got in the way.

SCruz409
SCruz409 11/02/11 - 08:06 am
While I sincerely agree this

While I sincerely agree this is a great program, I have mixed feelings.

What kind of opportunities are out there for adults encountering a career change? In this economy many people are realizing they can't make it anymore and are going back to school. Why should high school students receive extra opportunities and essentially a job when most don't even NEED to work? They have their entire lives ahead of them, why are we not providing more for adults that have gone back to school to better themselves and jump into a new career field. It is more difficult for them to find work than a high school student.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/02/11 - 08:30 am
You bring up a good point,

You bring up a good point, SCruz. We have 10% unemployment in Augusta. This advertisement for employment of only high schoolers (albeit few hours and low wages) is a form of age discrimination. Perhaps an adult might seek one of these jobs, but he is barred because of age.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/02/11 - 09:03 am
Well, the age thing is

Well, the age thing is another issue. Heck, since I got fired and have more time, I'd work for the Chronicle for free, I love this stuff so much. I mean I'd even put the ink on the presses or however they do it these digitial days. Ha, just realized I may have to go to India to do that.

Taylor B
Taylor B 11/02/11 - 10:15 am
Riverman, you can stand on

Riverman, you can stand on the corners on Sunday, I will loan you my orange vest!

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/02/11 - 10:32 am
Nope, Taylor, I'm not

Nope, Taylor, I'm not starting that low. I at least want to be the guy in the back of the truck throwing the bundle of papers off. Being a newspaper man, I'll know who, what, when, where and why to throw the papers off to the distributors or whatever you call them.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/02/11 - 10:38 am
Carriers. I used to be one

Carriers. I used to be one back when you didn't have to have a driver's license.

omnomnom
omnomnom 11/02/11 - 10:39 am
little lamb, you beez

little lamb, you beez ridiculous. you think an adult really gonna work for peanuts? if they are, they don't need the work, they just need to fill time, which they can do volunteering. this pays enough for one MAYBE two 'date nights' a week (minus gas expenses) if i remember correctly. perfect for high schoolers. not perfect for pretty much anyone else. except those living the high school lifestyle after high school, and don't you think they should strive for something better?

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/02/11 - 10:44 am
About the carriers, I used to

About the carriers, I used to hang out with them at Hull's Esso. Some of us guys stayed out so late, the carriers used to show up while we were still there sitting on the drink crates and trying to sober up. Some of the carriers stayed up all night with us, too, waiting on their papers. I kind of worked at that station taking road calls for them now and then. Willie Woodchow (can't make a name like that up) was my favorite carrier. I spent the ninth grade in a couple of his classes even though he decided not to further his education any higher than that level.

Scots reject independence in historic vote

EDINBURGH, Scotland — Scottish voters have rejected independence, deciding to remain part of the United Kingdom after a historic referendum that shook the country to its core.