Education

More News | |

Columbia County students punished for drugs, alcohol and weapons

Columbia County students recently were disciplined for incidents involving drugs, alcohol, weapons and sexual harassment.

Two Greenbrier High School students were sent to the system’s alternative school in Grovetown for prescription drug possession, according to a report released Friday of cases adjudicated by the school board hearing officer on Oct. 12 and 13.

Two other Greenbrier High students were sent to the alternative school for the remainder of the school year for taking weapons to school, and one of them also had illegal drugs.

Four Grovetown High students were punished for getting intoxicated at school. Three were sent to the alternative school for the rest of the semester, and the other, who also was under the influence of drugs, was sent to the alternative school for the rest of the school year.

Two Evans High School students must attend the alternative school for the remainder of the semester, one for fighting and the other for truancy.

Two students already at the alternative school were caught with knives, but the hearing officer left punishment of the students up to school administrators because there was insufficient evidence.

A Grovetown Middle School pupil committed sexual harassment and was remanded to the Individual Education Plan Committee, which reviews cases involving special-needs pupils.

For committing an “off-campus felony,” a Harlem Middle pupil will attend the rest of the semester at the alternative school, according to the discipline report.

Comments (24)

hope7
hope7 10/21/11 - 08:32 pm

WOW! Sounds as if there are

WOW! Sounds as if there are some hurting families in this area. Kids doing these kinds of hurtful acts to themselves and others sure need some attention to the root cause of the problem. But wait, if seeing a counselor or getting therapy means there may be a problem with the mind we would be wise to keep that a secret. Mental health is as much a broken state as is a broken arm or leg. The public would do well to begin speaking truthfully about problems of the mind and stop calling folks crazy when their hearts and minds are suffering! Help is available through many physicians and med centers. Ask and you will receive help.

KSL
KSL 10/21/11 - 08:58 pm

I don't envy anyone rearing

I don't envy anyone rearing teenagers these days. I was never around anyone in high school who was drinking and certainly didn't partake except for an occasional glass of wine before dinner provided to me by my parents in my own home. (Probably the reason I didn't over imbibe in college). And at my school, you couldn't smoke or chew gum. However, quite a few of my male classmates parked their pickup truck with a gun rack and guns in the cab. And no one so much as batted an eyelash. And the guns were not stolen either.

KSL
KSL 10/21/11 - 09:05 pm

Continuing, on a visit to my

Continuing, on a visit to my mother's recently, my brother, 7 years younger than I am, came by to see us. I don't know how the subject of conversation turned to drinking in high school, but I mentioned the above, about not drinking. My brother looked at me and said, "I'm sorry you had such a sh**ty childhood. Even my mother laughed.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 10/22/11 - 02:55 am

Please allow this retired

Please allow this retired Special Education Teacher to quote Augusta's foremeost civil rights attorney on the issue of the discipline of special-needs students. Jack Batson noted, "You(Special Ed folks) don't come down hard enough, fast enough."

Unfortunately, it may be too late for the GTMS faculty-IEP team members to apply Jack's approach in the case of the sexually-harrassing student, unless, of course, this were his/her first offense. Hopefully, it was.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/22/11 - 07:11 am

WOW....we thought a drag on a

WOW....we thought a drag on a cig was bad in our day....amazing how the world turns...not always for the best either.

avidreader
avidreader 10/22/11 - 07:57 am

If Richmond County placed

If Richmond County placed TRUENTS in Alternative School, we'd need to rent the Brown Arena as a holding area.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/22/11 - 08:10 am

avidreader...I've been

avidreader...I've been thinking the same thing!

tanbaby
tanbaby 10/22/11 - 08:41 am

well personally, if i or my

well personally, if i or my siblings had tried anything even remotely close to what these kids did, mama would have worn out the belt on us!!!! if parents would start being parents and stop trying to be friends, i'm sure things would be different...i didn't care if my boys "liked" me when they were in school, all you had to do was respect me....

belle
belle 10/22/11 - 09:31 am

KSL, you must be really old!

KSL, you must be really old! Just kidding but I am in early 50's and saw all that plus knife fights, friends molested by their parents, pregnant girls all around, sex in the parking lot..... My parents chose to take a blind eye to it. I have not allowed my children the same. They are amazed at how much I figure out they or their friends are up to.

Sentinel
Sentinel 10/22/11 - 10:20 am

Maybe it's just me, but I

Maybe it's just me, but I place the majority of the blame on the parents. I have three grown daughters, and until the day they were legally adults, I felt it was my job to make sure they feared ME more than anything the school or law might do to them. And I never raised my hand or my voice to them. I sincerely mean I NEVER hit them (didn't yell either....they all got tested like everyone else when they were little and their hearing was just fine). Didn't need to. They knew the hammer I'd be swinging was my total control over their social lives and privileges. If you stepped over a line like the kids mentioned above, my top priority would be publicly shortening your leash until all you could do is run in tight little circles....in your room.

We didn't live in a democracy under our roof, and I didn't give a rat's rear what anyone thought of it.

Guess what? It worked. I'm sure mostly due to the fact that I didn't wait until they were pre-teen or teenagers to let them know the rules, and the basic rules never changed.

Vito45
Vito45 10/22/11 - 10:32 am

Belle, now that my sons are

Belle, now that my sons are grown men, I will own up to them some of my youthful shenanigans for a laugh or two. After one of my stories, my younger son commented : "I never could figure out how you always knew what I was doing; now I know". I said "yep, I've been there and done that, so I knew what you were thinking when you were thinking it".

allhans
21928
allhans 10/22/11 - 11:07 am

A family member sold their

A family member sold their home near Grovetown and moved several years ago because of the school situation. Schools seem to be better in the northern part of Columbia County.
(I live in RC sooo...)

Patty-P
Patty-P 10/22/11 - 03:04 pm

Society has changed in such a

Society has changed in such a way that even parents who try to raise their kids with boundaries are frowned upon by 'modern day' parents who think kids should do whatever they want. Sentinel is right...'Parents need to be parents and realize that if your kid hates you at least once a week you're probably doing something right.'

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 10/22/11 - 03:59 pm

My children thought we were

My children thought we were the meanest parents on the face of the earth until they went to college for a couple of years. Then they realized we were teaching them discipline. All adults now doing great. All leaders in their circle of influence. Happy parents with great adult children; all of them.

Patty-P
Patty-P 10/22/11 - 04:12 pm

nothin2show....I thought my

nothin2show....I thought my parents were mean too. But when I got older and realized why they set boundaries, I knew that it was for my own good...a sense of protection and trying to keep me on the right path. I appreciate my parents for that. I don't know what has happened in today's world. I can only see things getting worse as long as the attitudes of people these days stays the same.

harley_52
19524
harley_52 10/22/11 - 04:55 pm

Patty-P said "I don't know

Patty-P said "I don't know what has happened in today's world."

Liberalism happened.

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/22/11 - 05:11 pm

Patty-P said "I don't know

Patty-P said "I don't know what has happened in today's world."

harley_52
19524
harley_52 10/22/11 - 05:21 pm

bjphysics said "You got old

bjphysics said "You got old and learned the art of revisionist history and protectionist morality."

There you have it, Patty-P. The alternative view.

Things really haven't changed at all. When you were young kids were using drugs at school, carrying guns in parking lots, running away from religion, denying God exists, refusing to obey and cursing their parents, being taught how to fit a condom on a cucumber at school where they're also taught men marrying men is quite normal.

Silly you....your memory must be failing you.

Mine is too.

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/22/11 - 05:26 pm

Teen sex goes back decades to

Teen sex goes back decades to when I invented it; since that time my patent has expired and kids today practice it without paying me any royalties.

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/22/11 - 05:31 pm

harley_52: “There you have

harley_52: “There you have it, Patty-P. The alternative view.”

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/22/11 - 05:33 pm

Yeah, I didn't get that

Yeah, I didn't get that protectionist morality line either. It seems to me our standards haven't changed, but what has changed is the actual activity of violence and drugs.

If one was concerned Patty had a protectionist morality he would be concerned that she wanted to keep the standards of the past. The standards of the past are the same as those of today considering violence and drugs. It's the level of violence and drug use that's new and Patty is opposed to such illegal activity as the people of the past were.

harley_52
19524
harley_52 10/22/11 - 05:39 pm

bjphysics said "With the

bjphysics said "With the exception of guns and condoms, the rest is the same today as it has been since the late 60’s."

There, my friends, is revisionist history at its finest.

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/22/11 - 05:41 pm

And there are plenty of

And there are plenty of conservative Republicans that have taken advantage of the modern (Liberal initiated) sex outside of wedlock acceptance. Do you really believe Ann Coulter doesn’t have extramarital sex? No doubt, afterward, she decries the evils Liberalism has rough upon society...as she relaxes reclining with her cigarette.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/22/11 - 05:52 pm

BJPhysics, well, that's

BJPhysics, well, that's reaching to say something like that because you believe someone has extramarital sex. But if liberals initiated sex out of wedlock and we are assuming that's a good thing, it hardly follows conservatives against violence and drugs are bad things.

By the way, I believe in legalizing drugs and using the money we would save for education and treatment as the utilitarian use of our resources to actually decrease their use. (had to fix a few typos)

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/22/11 - 05:48 pm

Whatever “The twentieth

Whatever

“The twentieth century: an American sexual history.”

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/22/11 - 05:50 pm

"Whatever" is always a great

"Whatever" is always a great comeback. I admire those who say something like that.

Patty-P
Patty-P 10/22/11 - 05:59 pm

bjphysics....I won't deny

bjphysics....I won't deny that guns (used to commit crimes) and drugs have been around for a while...what has changed is the viewpoint by many that we should accept these things as they are no matter how damaging they are to our communities. I've gotten older, yes. Am I old-fashioned? Probably. Am I perfect or have I lived a perfect life? Of course not. No man on earth is perfect. But you can best believe that my parents surely didn't accept bad behavior, drugs, and disrespect at any time from me while I was growing up. That is the difference in the world today from yesterday. We accept the moral decay of our society. As parents we should always want BETTER for our children. It is the lessons we learned from our parents and from our own mistakes that should make us want to make sure our children take the best path in life.