Education

More News | |

Hephzibah pupil disciplined for threatening teacher

A Hephzibah Middle School pupil was suspended for the remainder of this year’s first semester for telling a teacher he’d like to settle their argument outside of class.

According to a Richmond County Board of Education tribunal report released Thursday, the pupil, no age given, demanded his teacher go outside into the hallway to “settle it” after the teacher disciplined him for being disruptive in class.

When the teacher would not go in the hallway, the pupil told the teacher when he saw him in the streets, he would settle it then.

The young man was given the option to attend the Tubman Education Center Alternative Program in lieu of long-term suspension.

stillamazed
stillamazed 09/29/11 - 02:04 pm
What the heck???????? The

What the heck???????? The teacher sadly should watch his back, no telling what this student may do or get friends to do. This type of crap was not tolerated back when I was in school...of course that was back in the stone age:)

curly123053
curly123053 09/29/11 - 02:12 pm
I was working EMS in Barnwell

I was working EMS in Barnwell when a 16 yr old showed up @ his Barnwell County high with a gun the day after getting suspended. When it was all over 1 teacher was dead and another wounded before he killed himself inside the school back in 1995. Today in 2011 such cocky remarks would raise all kind of red flags! I hope they have security watching that school for a while!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/29/11 - 03:43 pm
The world has flipped over

The world has flipped over from our day---we would be standing for weeks from the fanny whupping .. how did it get like this?

Vito45
Vito45 09/29/11 - 04:25 pm
Because of liberalism. Not

Because of liberalism. Not political liberalism, but social liberalism.

Patty-P
Patty-P 09/30/11 - 04:01 am
I'm surprised they didn't try

I'm surprised they didn't try to blame or accuse the teacher of wrongdoing.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 09/30/11 - 04:11 am
Was this child arrested and

Was this child arrested and charged with assault? If not, why not? No arrest and criminal charges might be the big story here.

In March 2004 while teaching at Grovetown Middle School, I was slapped on the shoulder by a student. I immediately had him arrested and placed in the RYDC for a weekend. Charlie Nagle, then DSOS, removed the kid from GTMS and sent him elsewhere never to return to GTMS.

Charlie, thanks again for your backing!

bkl4516
bkl4516 09/30/11 - 04:43 am
First off, the child can't be

First off, the child can't be arrested and charged. The age of consent is 17.

fatboyhog
1941
fatboyhog 09/30/11 - 06:31 am
This little punk should be

This little punk should be BANNED from Richmond County public schools...forever! Mommy and daddy should be responsible for getting him educated; either home school or military school. What goes on inside these kid's minds nowadays is simply scary. They do not like discipline..most likely because they never get it at home. Why do we sent them to "alternative school?" That's just a place where they hang out with more punks and get even cockier. The good news is, I'll probably be dealing with him down the road.

madgerman
madgerman 09/30/11 - 06:45 am
If the school police had

If the school police had walked into the class and handcuffed this hoodlum and led him away to juvenile detention, it would have made a positive impression for the rest of his class. But what did we do to this poor kid who only conveyed a threat of body harm ? Why we did the right thing and smacked his hands and said don't do that again, and offered him a choice to continue his obvious search for higher education. P.S. Why do we have school police? I mean, just what are their function that we taxpayers pay for?

dld1941
dld1941 09/30/11 - 08:16 am
The school board and the

The school board and the administrative leaders are obviously afraid of the parents and public opinion. What a bunch of wimps. Now students rule. Lord have mercy on the teachers.

stillamazed
stillamazed 09/30/11 - 08:27 am
rbndawn, I agree that

rbndawn, I agree that discipline starts at home, up when I was in school we not only got disciplined at home, we got it at school as well. When kids fear nothing they do whatever because there is no consequences. I agree with you Vito45......exactly.

Patty-P
Patty-P 09/30/11 - 09:39 am
I agree stillamazed.

I agree stillamazed.

single parent
single parent 09/30/11 - 09:41 am
I keep seeing the "back in

I keep seeing the "back in the day". Yes it has a lot to do with the way things are done these days. People able to murder repeatedly and still released and socialize, to murder again. Same kids doing the same crimes but the verdict is they are just kids? Do not let them balance on the cliff either push them off or save them no in between! !
I had a 6 year old walking down the street the other day with his older buddys and they were destroying others property. I addressed the little knuckleheads and was met with "You old **** ^#%$ &^(&^( I'll do this and that" I am a musician from the old days and new days and you who praise the rap game still think it DOES NOT AFFECT THE YOUTH? 4 year olds cannot read but can tell you who shot who, how to bag an ounce, which gun is best to carry and will curse you out. It is not the home raising kids, it is the culture. ZERO REMORSE FOR WHAT IS BEING PRODUCED IN OUR EAR! ! ! ! ! Just look around folks! I am a 40 + year old black gentleman and I am ashamed of my race at this point, the human race! !
I can tell you I went to jail for snatching one of my kids up, but I bet you they did not do it again! ! ! Especially when they found out that bills did not pay themselves...IE hair done, new shoes, FOOD! !

Patty-P
Patty-P 09/30/11 - 09:55 am
Absolutely single parent. It

Absolutely single parent. It is the culture. People want to let things slide. Kids get away with too much these days.

TK3
TK3 09/30/11 - 10:02 am
Society can NOT survive if

Society can NOT survive if parents and teachers are AFRAID of the kids !

Let teachers "discipline" kids again (parents sign wavers when enrolled) and bring back school (kid) patrols. If kids keep giving trouble they should be kicked out of the public school system and let parents teach them at home or send them to a private school or change the law to let them try to find work (they will be begging to go back to school after awhile:-).

Politicians need to get DSS off parents back and let parents "discipline" their own kids or this stupid endless socialist cycle will get worse!

Reverie
Reverie 09/30/11 - 08:57 pm
Children do not honor their

Children do not honor their mothers and fathers because mom and dad failed them. Dad was never there and mom works all the time. God is there but not invited. The children do not learn to respect parents or elders in general. Teachers are left to manage the fallout. It's a sad day when our youth start turning on our old. I heard a news report about a mandate for the universities to produce highly qualified teachers. I hope they are including training in child psychology/counseling and jujitsu.

Shasta Barbell
Shasta Barbell 09/30/11 - 09:28 pm
Think they're bad now? Wait

Think they're bad now? Wait until they get to college. They still think they can get away with everything and be spoon-fed. When they don't get what they want, they sue, on mommy & daddy's dime. Sigh!

Patty-P
Patty-P 10/01/11 - 08:59 am
single parent...I think music

single parent...I think music only effects the minds of children/youth when there is no foundation or upbringing for them to know that it is 'just music'. I grew up listening to rap and it never made me want to go out and shoot somebody or curse out my elders. I knew better. The old school heavy metal is no worse than rap. Some of the artists are no better than the rappers. Look at some of the crazy stuff Ozzy Ozbourne has done onstage. Quite demonic to say in the least. It's not the music alone that effects the children.

JRC2024
JRC2024 10/01/11 - 09:10 am
Patty I agree with you about

Patty I agree with you about parents involvement. Too bad some of these kids have no one to turn to. Babies having babies and the government giving them money for each one.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 10/01/11 - 03:15 pm
(D)ld1941, Insightful

(D)ld1941,

Insightful comment.

But what should we taxpayers expect from an administrative team whose members average only $150K per annum in compensation and from a school board attorney whose firm was paid only $600K last year by the RCBOE?

fatboyhog
1941
fatboyhog 10/01/11 - 03:27 pm
Patty-P, music negatively

Patty-P, music negatively affects the weak-minded who use that as an excuse. I listened to Black Sabbath, AC/DC, and other hard rock in my early years. I didn't smoke pot, commit crimes, disrespect my elders or others in position of authority. I didn't run the streets. Why? Because I knew that my father would deal with me. A huge problem in today's society is a breakdown in family, kids without fathers, "parents" thinking that their kids bad behavior is "cute," an attitude of entitlement, and a lack of personal responsibility. Tack on the fact that things only happen because , and you have a recipe for lawlessness and disrespect.

Patty-P
Patty-P 10/01/11 - 07:25 pm
fatboy...I agree and that was

fatboy...I agree and that was my point in my last comment. Rap music is not to blame for bad behavior. There is a wide variety of music that portrays negativity, but we only hear about rap music. Idolatry can affect children, but I think it depends on how the child is brought up.

Former commissioner's case remains under review

While former Augusta commissioner Donnie Smith's statements to Georgia State Patrol investigators likely can't be used against him, the state Office of the Inspector General continues to conduct ...