Education

More News | |

Cross Creek High teacher investigated for remarks to students

Teacher 'not in school' during investigation

Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2011 8:38 PM
Last updated 9:20 PM

A Cross Creek High School teacher has been removed from school pending an investigation about inappropriate things he reportedly said to students during class, according to Richmond County schools Acting Superintendent James Whitson.

Whitson could not provide the teacher’s name, details about what the teacher said or what kind of leave he is on.

“We are responding to some things that were said inappropriately in a classroom, and it was said to students,” Whitson said. “(The teacher) is not in school today.”

Whitson could not say whether the teacher had been acting inappropriately for a period of time, but he said the school system is investigating a single incident brought to its attention.

Attempts to reach Cross Creek Principal Jason Moore late Wednesday were not successful.

Comments (14)

Patty-P
Patty-P 09/21/11 - 10:05 pm

Like I said before, just

Like I said before, just close all public schools and let students be home-schooled.

InChristLove
21975
InChristLove 09/22/11 - 06:41 am

Patty-P, I don't think that's

Patty-P, I don't think that's the answer but don't really know what is. Cross Creek is a fine school with some very good teachers. I'm interested in knowing more details about this article.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 09/22/11 - 07:58 am

What I can gather from this

What I can gather from this story......... a teacher talked to her students.

amandab777
amandab777 09/22/11 - 08:09 am

Home schools are not the

Home schools are not the answer. Not everyone can homeschool their children because of work or not being well educated themselves. Private schools would be better. However, even with that being said, you will still have teachers that may not be able to control themselves. The teacher in question is reported to be a male according to this article. My son goes to Cross Creek. It is a very good school. Unfortunately, people do behave poorly at times.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/22/11 - 08:15 am

Say what??

Say what??

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 09/22/11 - 08:53 am

Until you have the

Until you have the facts...why print this stuff?

And YES homeschools are the answer to those who can...and those who will find a way ..for their childrens sake.

littlecoach
littlecoach 09/22/11 - 12:17 pm

Some comments on AC are close

Some comments on AC are close to "shock jock" type of gesturing. People have to make themselves seem better than others by their comments. None of us are better than others, we just massage our own egoes by bring someone else down.

Patty-P
Patty-P 09/22/11 - 04:19 pm

InChrist....there was a hint

InChrist....there was a hint of sarcasm in my last post.

washi73
washi73 09/22/11 - 05:30 pm

There is some truth in the

There is some truth in the complaints. My chikdren go there as well and my daughter was harrassed by this same teacher. I filed complaints and im glad something is being done. There are some good teachers there....this teacher makes rude comments all the time....and discusses his personal issues with these children. In this day in time, the teachers needs to be role models not their freinds. We dont pay taxes for these teachers that are not gonna teach out children and try to be their peers instead of adults.

InChristLove
21975
InChristLove 09/22/11 - 05:42 pm

** self edited my post.

** self edited my post.

Patty-P I read your last comment wrong. I thought you said my comment had a hint of sarcasm and I'm scratching my head to figure out how. Reread you comment and realized you were speaking of your comment.

Willow Bailey
20255
Willow Bailey 09/22/11 - 08:32 pm

It is true that many

It is true that many teachers are haviing inappropriate conversations with students both in and out of school.

The interaction teachers are trying to have with students through social networking is not appropriate either. People are having a difficult time knowing what is appropriate and where to set the boundry.

JRC2024
JRC2024 09/23/11 - 12:37 am

Just yesterday I had a

Just yesterday I had a conversation with a friend of mine that teaches at Dorothy Heins elementry. She had to send three disruptive students to the office and also said one teacher was slapped. She says this goes on everyday. WERE ARE THE PARENTS.

InChristLove
21975
InChristLove 09/23/11 - 05:56 am

Willow, what you posted about

Willow, what you posted about inappropriate conversations between teachers and students is true and it seems to be happening more and more.

In this particular case I was told that this particular teacher made a reference to a young girls weight and also made fun of a male student's last name.

This wasn't even about students getting out of hand in the classroom. This is about a teacher who either was having a bad day, a lack of serious judgement, or is just a all around rotten teacher. Maybe it was all three.

hray35
hray35 09/23/11 - 10:30 am

Although the name of the

Although the name of the teacher is not disclosed, most students and parents know who the teacher is. Not only did I read this article, I also watched the interviews with the 3 parents that have complained. My daughter was in his class years ago and has NEVER had anything but great laughs with him along with enjoying learning all that he taught. He has always used humor as one of his teaching methods. My child came home daily telling me about his class and the jokes and comebacks from students and herself. Never did I take any of his comments as harassing, especially when students often made jokes of his weight and looks. There are two sides to a story such as this and most are just convicting this teacher without knowing this teacher personally. I have personally stood in front of my child, her friends and this teacher as joking comments were exchanged. I never felt as if he was harassing anyone. I can also state that I have had a personal experience with one of these moms that complained to me regarding a statement my child made to her child and I wasn't the last to have been a victim of an accussation of harassment by this mom. I do believe that had any of these children or their
parents contacted the teacher first to discuss the comments, he would have immediately apologized and ensured the parent he wouldn't make any more comments.

InChristLove
21975
InChristLove 09/23/11 - 12:01 pm

hray35, I'm glad your

hray35, I'm glad your daughter has gotten along so well with this teacher and I only have hearsay to go on, but whether this teacher's comments were used as humorous teaching methods or not, evidently someone took the "fat" or the "play on the last name" comment personally. I will agree with you though, the parents of the offended student or students should have made an appointment to discuss it with the teacher first and all of this possibly could have been avoided.

Augusta man gets life without parole in killing

Jonathan Lee Felton, 23, was convicted in Richmond County Superior Court of murder and weapon charges for the Oct. 25, 2010, shooting death of 22-year-old Eric "Easy" Wright.