Education

More News | |

Augusta State gets look at future building off Wrightsboro Road

Complete plan expected in next six months

Augusta State University is getting its first glimpse at its latest building after architects submitted their external designs this week.

Back | Next
The new building will house the Hull College of Business and the Department of Nursing, classrooms and computer labs.  SPECIAL
SPECIAL

The structure, which will be located off Damascus Road, has been in the works for years. The parcel in ASU West, situated next to University Village, was a gift from the city of Augusta.

The university received $2 million in design funding from the Georgia Board of Regents in January; however, the construction has not been funded by the board at this time.

Architects plan for the complete design and programming of the building to be finished in the next six months with an expected construction completion date of 2014.

The new $27 million building will house the Hull College of Business and the Department of Nursing with state-of-the-art classrooms, computer labs, study space, offices and multipurpose rooms, according to a news release.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/08/11 - 08:39 am
This is great, but I wish

This is great, but I wish they had built in the downtown area to help rejuvenate the city.

Chillen
Chillen 09/08/11 - 10:14 am
Wasn't there just an article

Wasn't there just an article about enrollment being down at ASU? Our economy is in pretty bad shape, college tuition is already high enough. As a business person, I have to question the wisdom of this building at this time. It is quite nice...but.....

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 09/08/11 - 10:42 am
There was but I don't recall

There was but I don't recall if it specified if it was an overall drop or drops in particular areas. Maybe nursing and business had increases?

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 09/08/11 - 11:10 am
Where downtown would you have

Where downtown would you have suggested?

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/08/11 - 12:12 pm
Emergencyfan, I've talked at

Emergencyfan, I've talked at length about this. The College of Charleston jumped all over the city and it helped clean up some of the bad areas of that city. All I'm saying is ASU has the ability to do the same. They could change the face of the downtown area in a positive way with the spin-offs created and students actually living in the city. All this basically using state money.

Taylor B
Taylor B 09/08/11 - 12:45 pm
Riverman, I just talked to my

Riverman, I just talked to my wife (ASU student government senator) and she said it was built there because of existing transportation options and land ownership.if built anywhere else, student fees would have went way up on all students to cover costs.

floridasun
floridasun 09/08/11 - 01:01 pm
I agree with Riverman. Would

I agree with Riverman. Would be great to see ASU expand in downtown. It's really only a few miles between downtown and the Hill. ASU's presence in downtown would add greatly to downtown's revival.
Savannah College of Art and Design has done an amazing job expanding all over downtown Savannah.
Columbus State in Columbus GA, a school similar in size to ASU, has expanded into downtown Columbus

amandab777
amandab777 09/08/11 - 02:13 pm
While it may be only a few

While it may be only a few short miles, our transportation system for ASU runs from the school, to student housing which is on Damascus Rd., to Christenbberry fieldhouse which is on Wrightsboro Rd., and back again. We already have an established west campus and building the new buildings anywhere else would cost us more in fees on top of the high prices we already pay. Sometimes what may look good from the outside is not the best route.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/08/11 - 03:05 pm
Realistically, looking at it

Realistically, looking at it from the outside is the BEST way. Improving Augusta could improve ASU at the same time. A thriving city with an urban university would be a synergistic arrangement. Who says it has to cost students more?

amandab777
amandab777 09/08/11 - 03:26 pm
How would it not cost us

How would it not cost us more? We pay a transportation fee now that most people do not even use. If you add another route, it will have to be paid for somehow.

Taylor B
Taylor B 09/08/11 - 03:32 pm
Careful, Riverman... I have

Careful, Riverman... I have never won an argument with amandab777 :)

countyman
countyman 09/08/11 - 04:24 pm
Both ASU and Paine College

Both ASU and Paine College have expressed intrest in the former library on 9th/James Brown Boulevard.. One of the institutions could have a small group of workers/students in the CBD.

I think we need to focus on the GHSU bio tech park breaking ground downtown or somewhere around Laney Walker.

hockeymann
hockeymann 09/08/11 - 04:36 pm
If its going to be built,

If its going to be built, it's going into the right place...The school is already
high enough in student costs. Why should they be concerned about anything other than lower costs, and more for the students? Certainly,
being downtown does nothing for the students...Actually, with costs as high now for tuition as they are, the building probably should be axed until
economic times are better. I have a grandson about to enter ASU, and the costs are astronomical now for tuition, fees, and books. Shelve it!

countyman
countyman 09/08/11 - 04:50 pm
The Wrightsboro/Damascus area

The Wrightsboro/Damascus area should be the main focus of the university.. The downtown location does offer major positives to young people though. Students can walk instead of driving to the bars, restaurants, shops, lounges, coffee shops, markets, etc on Broad street.

While the Wrightsboro rd location is pretty walkable.. Wrightsboro rd and Damascus rd can use sidewalk additons, renovations of sidewalks, and new bicycle lanes... The university needs to purchase the shopping center facing Wrightsboro rd infront of the University Village..

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/08/11 - 05:05 pm
Countyman wrote: The

Countyman wrote:

Yeah, right. Just what the city of Augusta needs — turn a piece of taxpaying property containing thriving businesses into government-owned property and take it off the tax rolls.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/08/11 - 04:58 pm
Countyman wrote: Students can

Countyman wrote:

Students can walk instead of driving to the bars, restaurants, . . . lounges, . . . etc. on Broad street.

It's a classroom building, not a dorm. Do you think the students will be walking to the bars before or after class? They might need a shot to calm their nerves before a test.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/08/11 - 05:02 pm
Bianca Cain wrote: The parcel

Bianca Cain wrote:

Since the city is in a giving mood, why don't they give the Augusta depot property to somebody? It's an albatross around the city's neck. They spent a million dollars to haul the top 12 inches of dirt away and bring in "clean" dirt. Then they had to re-roof the thing a year or so ago because the roof was leaking.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/08/11 - 05:08 pm
The picture up above kind of

The picture up above kind of reminds me of the new judicial center (aka, Ruff House) — not enough parking spaces.

countyman
countyman 09/09/11 - 11:47 am
There's already people who

There's already people who are living in the CBD, Olde Town, etc attending ASU. Students can walk/bike to the amenities on Broad street either before or after class.. The employees working at the location can do the same thing..

ASU can turn the struggling shopping center into dorms, etc.. All of the shopping centers in close proximity(i.e Augusta mall, Daniel Village, Kroger, TJ Maxx, and Augusta West Plaza) are nice & thriving except for one or maybe two centers(Foodlion shopping center can use a facelift, but the occupancy rate is good).. The small center at the corner of North Leg/Wrightsboro(Salvation Army, Freds, etc) is ugly(similar to the shopping center infront of University Village).

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/08/11 - 06:33 pm
Taylor, I think I know who

Taylor, I think I know who Amanda is now. Guess you and I won't be drinking beer and watching the game together. Heh. Okay, Amanda, I'm just saying if it could all be worked out without students paying more...sort of like the builiding just magically appeared with transportation, it would be a good thing for downtown Augusta. And a vibrant downtown Augusta would make ASU better. Amanda, now can Taylor and I watch the game and drink some beer?

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/08/11 - 06:34 pm
LL, glad to see you call the

LL, glad to see you call the courthouse by its proper name, Ruff House. I mean you have to visualize it. Bubba1 talking to Bubba2, about his arrest for DUI. "Yeah, I got to go down to the Ruff House this week to see what they gonna give me."

Taylor B
Taylor B 09/08/11 - 08:25 pm
RM1... I owe you so many

RM1... I owe you so many beers. Haha! Believe it or not... shes my boss politically and domestically. Heck of a campaign manager and Chairman of the local LP.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/09/11 - 11:31 am
RM1 wrote, “And a vibrant

RM1 wrote, “And a vibrant downtown Augusta would make ASU better.”

Seems to me like a vibrant Wrightsboro Road would make ASU and Augusta better.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 09/13/11 - 11:32 am
Riverman, no need to jump

Riverman, no need to jump down my throat, it was a honest question. Where downtown do you see the University being built?

Man arrested for Sunday's fatal shooting

Walter L. Johnson, 60, was booked into the Richmond County jail Tuesday on charges of murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.