School system, county team up on sports complex

Columbia County school and government officials on Wednesday announced plans to build an athletics complex, including a new stadium, near Lakeside High School.

Back | Next
Columbia County schools Superintendent Charles Nagle talks about the joint venture between the county and the school system to build a new sports complex, estimated at $12 million, on land near Lakeside High School.   Jim Blaylock/Staff
Jim Blaylock/Staff

Schools Superintendent Charles Nagle said the county finalized last week the purchase of about 70 acres of undeveloped property behind Lakeside's baseball field. He estimated the project's cost to be as much as $12 million, with funding coming from the school board's and county's 1 percent sales tax. That estimate includes the $1.6 million to buy the land from Reed Creek LLC.

At a news conference in the school's auditorium, Nagle stressed that the county and the school system will share full use of all amenities.

County Commissioner Ron Thigpen, whose District 1 will hold the project, said the park will connect to 22 acres of county-owned green space. Darren Prickett, a landscape architect with project designer Johnson, Laschober and Associates P.C., said the new park will include features that expand on those at Blanchard Woods Park in Evans.

Prickett said the cost of the first phase, which includes site work and infrastructure, will be shared. The school board will pay 56 percent, nearly $4 million, while the county will pay the rest, about $2.5 million.

The final portion of the two-phase project might get under way in 2014 or 2015, Prickett said. It will include building the fields and paving parking areas.

Commission Chairman Ron Cross said the project will meet the county's goal of bringing a recreation facility to District 1.

Applause rang out from when Nagle mentioned another benefit of the project: an additional entrance to Lakeside high and middle schools. The two schools now have just one entrance off Blue Ridge Drive. The new entrance will connect the schools to Evans to Locks Road via King Taylor Road.

Nagle said relocating some of the schools' athletics facilities would provide room for more parking and potential additions to Lakeside High.

csrareader
csrareader 03/31/11 - 10:49 am
Suggestion to Columbia County

Suggestion to Columbia County officials: Images mean something. When you're trying to sell a project that you claim will be good for the entire community, not just Lakeside High School, don't set up your podium with a LHS football helmet, baseball cap, softball helmet, and athletic logos. Too funny.

gbhs
gbhs 03/31/11 - 11:08 am
LHS does not have ample

LHS does not have ample seating on the visitor's side and the field needs some improvements. Why not spend the money to upgrade? Add bleachers and even create an entrance via Clarke Point Road? It would save a ton of money to do that. LHS has a track, put a new surface on it and that problem is solved...still cheaper. Every school in the county shares their stadium with multiple teams and middle schools.

A GAME INSIDE THE GAME
A GAME INSIDE THE GAME 03/31/11 - 11:11 am
What happened to ADBC'S

What happened to ADBC'S comments...? I thought they were very honest and informative from a person that has facts to back him up . I guess when you are covering up something smelly you don't want the truth. I am looking forward to my childs school team practicing on the new fields. Baseball anyone ?

allrise
allrise 03/31/11 - 12:42 pm
The only thing that would

The only thing that would make this whole thing more lame would be if Nagle re-hired his buddy Grooms. I'll bet there will be a statue of Grooms somewhere in the stadium.

Mr. Thackeray
Mr. Thackeray 03/31/11 - 02:30 pm
Austin, you are simply a

Austin, you are simply a mouth piece for Ron's boys.

voted_red
voted_red 03/31/11 - 03:11 pm
Why doesn't CCBOE and the

Why doesn't CCBOE and the county admit it, they have selected Lakeside to be the premier athletic school in the county. The rich keep getting richer while the rest of us just have to make due. And I wouldn't be surprised if they put turf in that stadium.

armyretired
armyretired 03/31/11 - 03:35 pm
The fact still remains,

The fact still remains, teachers are forced to take furlow days and the CCBOE wants to spend millions on a new park/staduim. There are schools that need improvements - Harlem High for one - and teachers that do not have adequate resourses. They can build a new road without spending millions on a new complex.

With the ecomony like it is how is this project going to be a continous flow of income for the county?

Mr. Thackeray
Mr. Thackeray 03/31/11 - 03:46 pm
I'm with you armyretired!

I'm with you armyretired! Harlem is the red-headed step-child CCBOE doesn't even want to really acknowledge. Look at the Harlem's stadium. Where I come from it wouldn't make a good middle school stadium!

csrareader
csrareader 03/31/11 - 03:57 pm
The CCBOE considers Harlem

The CCBOE considers Harlem part of McDuffie County. They need to update their maps, and budget allocation.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 03/31/11 - 04:03 pm
How many times do we have to

How many times do we have to say this...the SPLOST money CANNOT be used for anything other than capital improvements. NOT ONE DIME BY LAW (of this money) can go to support teachers or their daily operations.

csrareader
csrareader 03/31/11 - 04:31 pm
Austin, how many times do WE

Austin, how many times do WE have to say this... Harlem and Evans need capital improvements far worse than the Lakeside whiners, and yes I said whiners. "Our field doesn't drain... traffic is bad... we don't have enough parking... our football stadium is not modern... etc., etc., etc."
By the way, how many people do we expect to be attending athletic events when gas hits $5 to $6 a gallon, and how will the school systems afford to transport teams to atheletic events with the fuel increases? We may end up with nice athletic fields that are mostly empty.

pink panther
pink panther 03/31/11 - 04:45 pm
Go look at lakeside and let

Go look at lakeside and let me know where it is possible for an addition, I believe the other schools have ALOT more property than lakeside. Harlem and Evans have vocational wings, does lakeside? NO
The only way to expand at lakeside is to make room, i guess it would be possible to buy 100 or so acres and build a new school, now that would upset folks.
Most of us live in Columbia County and growth and building go together. let our county grow and keep building.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 04/01/11 - 07:32 am
If there are capital

If there are capital improvement needs at other CC schools, list them specifically...and get in line. This is what the ESPLOST was voted in for. There is a massive amount of ignorance being shown in this thread, and when the correct information is shared, the conversation deteriorates into sniping back and forth about which school gets WHAT. Lakeside is due for these IMPROVEMENTS...and the money to make them was approved by voters sometime ago in a very specific and legally binding way.

csrareader
csrareader 04/01/11 - 08:01 am
It's ironic that Austin calls

It's ironic that Austin calls us ignorant, then complains about "sniping." I expect no better from him, but I did expect better from the Columbia County Government and Board of Education officials. Go ahead... spend until the pockets of taxpayers are empty. The local Government is no different than the greedy bunch in Washington. Austin is no different than the liberal media that supports the Washington bozos.

smAShT
smAShT 04/01/11 - 11:17 am
well csrareader...austin does

well csrareader...austin does come the radio after Rush "to the phamarcy" Limbauh!!!

Chillen
Chillen 04/01/11 - 11:34 am
"Lakeside is due for these

"Lakeside is due for these IMPROVEMENTS" Yep. A 16 year old stadium in ANTIQUATED. How dare we as taxpayers make those little darlings play ball in that piece of crap! The horror!

"the money to make them was approved by voters" I'll bet if it had specifically said we are going to build a new Lakeside stadium that the overwhelming vote would have been NO. The sheeple erroniously trusted their elected officials to do the right thing. I voted no. And I'll do it again - especially now. It has now been proven that the good old boys protect "their own" interests. They just might have jeopardized the next vote for themselves.

I hope you all in Harlem enjoy this new Lakeside stadium. And you Evans folks. Your schools were built about 30 years ago. How's that working out for you? Do you think your schools should have been updated rather than build Lakeside a new stadium? I'll bet 100% of you say yes. I'll bet the community overwhelmingly agrees also.

How about Blanchard Park over there off Bel Air Road? It was built about 100 years ago (not really) and it is a mess. It's due for improvements and should be fixed way before a new park is built. It is solid mud and sludge. Also, no handicapped person could use the park if they wanted to. I might place a call to the disability folks who police this stuff. Get them on it. We obviously have the money to fix it. Just divert it from the state of the art park that is planned.

These school board officials, the school system and the county commissioners are not good stewards with our money. They are just like the obama administration. Spend on their pals. Their radio puppet sings their praises too.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/01/11 - 01:04 pm
Some would argue that the

Some would argue that the school zone that pays the most in property taxes should have the best facilities.

pink panther
pink panther 04/01/11 - 02:09 pm
People do not get it! There

People do not get it! There is no room to park and no room to add on at lakeside.Evans has 45 acres, Harlem has 49 acres, Greenbrier High and middle sit on 102 acres, Grovetown High 70 acres,Lakeside High and middle sit on 68 acres.YOU CANNOT ADD ON TO EITHER THE HIGH SCHOOL OR THE MIDDLE SCHOOL. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!!!

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 04/01/11 - 03:05 pm
Any of you folks want to

Any of you folks want to square up on who's got what invested where, and who the puppets REALLY are, sign your name and back up your words, or go hide back under the bed. The stadium is a small part of the total plan...if you don't like it, speak up by name, or go enjoy an intimate moment alone. You see the NEW Blanchard Park off Blanchard Rd? CHILLEN...go check it out and THEN come back and post.

Ding dongs.

csrareader
csrareader 04/01/11 - 04:48 pm
pinkpanther, if the problem

pinkpanther, if the problem is simply being landlocked, then buy the property and add ACADEMIC CAPITAL IMPROVEMENTS. You don't have to build a new athletic complex just because you're landlocked. That's the point that you and a certain local political suckup talk show host doesn't understand. Buy the land and build anything you need to support academics. It's the waste of money on new fields, WHEN THE FIELDS THEY HAVE ARE FINE, that the taxpayers don't like. Now I'll take your advice Austin, and go have an intimate moment alone. That's a better use of my time than listening to radio from 3-6 pm.

pink panther
pink panther 04/01/11 - 05:46 pm
So lets build a total

So lets build a total seperate building a half mile from the school,huh?
CSRA, have you ever stepped on a field at lakeside? THEY ARE WET AND SLOPPY, THEY WERE NOT BUILT PROPERLY AND THE SURFACES ARE NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Im very proud of our government officials for making this decision, Its been long needed.
HAIL LAKESIDE!!!!!!

csrareader
csrareader 04/01/11 - 08:53 pm
I have attended events at

I have attended events at every Lakeside field except softball, and yes I have been on the fields. What a shame that LHS has fields that don't drain like Turner Field in Atlanta. Well... welcome to the world of high school athletics. It's just an example of a local pork project. Tax and spend... tax and spend... tax and spend.

csrareader
csrareader 04/02/11 - 07:18 am
pink panther, why not do

pink panther, why not do something creative and maybe... hmmm... let's see... MOVE THE PARKING LOT? If no one else in our local Government or Board of Education can determine that purchasing land and moving the parking lot would solve the "landlocked" problem, I now understand why we remain in a fiscal crisis. Would it be asking too much to make the students walk a little further from their luxury cars to the school entrance? We certainly don't want to inconvenience the spoiled student population at LHS.

pink panther
pink panther 04/02/11 - 04:41 pm
because csra, it would not be

because csra, it would not be fair to make the students of lakeside walk any farther than those at harlem, grovetown, greenbrier, or Evans.
The simplest thing to do is exactly what the powers to be have planned.
its done, lets move along and complain about something else please.
Oh yeah, I bet the new fields will be 100% better, cant wait!!
The last time a checked columbia county was not in a fiscal crisis.
How about gas prices, now that is something to complain about. I love OUR Columbia County Government, if you dont, MOVE.

csrareader
csrareader 04/02/11 - 05:56 pm
Nope, I'll keep complaining

Nope, I'll keep complaining about any wasteful spending by our "tax and spend" commissioners, and this is a PERFECT EXAMPLE OF WASTEFUL SPENDING. Columbia County is not in a fiscal crisis? Come on, get you head out of the sand, or where ever it happens to be at the present time. I assume you're joking about not being to make the students walk from a parking lot that may be slightly further away. If not, there is simply nothing that I or anyone else can do for you.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/02/11 - 06:03 pm
Smasht, it's simple. The

Smasht, it's simple. The school zone that pays the most taxes should have the best facilities and be allowed to pick any color they want to wear. If a poorer school has a color Lakeside wants, the BOE should order that school to wear white if they play each other. LHS should be allowed to change uniforms weekly if they choose and maybe pass their old uniforms onto the poorer schools in the county. Y'all can tailgate in the new LHS park when you play them.

gb1992
gb1992 04/03/11 - 06:35 pm
I really feel as though

I really feel as though nobody knows all of the facts. I will admit that I don't either. But look at it like this...

Evans and surrounding areas have Blanchard Woods, Greenbrier and surrounding areas have Patriots Park. Grovetown just got a state of the art school with an athletic complex that blows all of the other complexes out of the water. What does Lakeside and it's surrounding areas have? As of right now, nothing.

I am a senior at Lakeside and am absolutely THRILLED that future students will finally have a facility that they can be proud of. They will have a track that our wonderful track and field teams can actually hold meets at, that doesn't constantly have to be patched, and that is actually something that they can be proud of. Our football team and rifle team will no longer have to fight over a weight room. Our football fans will have a stadium that actually accommodates more than a small section of the school and the band. We will actually have room for things like when the VA Tech band came or when we host bigger games. Our soccer teams will have their own space! We will have a championship size soccer field to host NCAA events. Where else in Columbia County can we do that?? There will be new tennis courts, a new playground, and walking trail for use by the community. This isn't just for Lakeside. This is for everybody. It just happens to be at Lakeside.

As far as opening up another entrance...what in the world is so wrong with that? There are over 1500 students at the high school alone! Add on the kids from Blue Ridge and the Middle School and you have a mess of traffic. God forbid something awful happen and we have to get an ambulance down to those schools. There is no possible way with the roads the way they are.

And as far as money goes... I GO TO LAKESIDE. I AM NOT RICH! MY FAMILY IS NOT RICH. How do we get any special treatment? Have you walked on our campus recently? Have you walked on Grovetown's? BIG DIFFERENCE. And we have the supposedly higher income levels...

This is what the SPLOST money was set aside for. Recreational facilities etc. for the community. That is what is happening. If you want the money to go to the teachers then vote for the money to go to the teachers and stop voting for SPLOST.

What is so wrong with a community park in an area that doesn't already have one? Seriously...

gb1992
gb1992 04/03/11 - 06:37 pm
And to csrareader.... I take

And to csrareader.... I take INCREDIBLE offense to your comments. I am 18 years old and don't even own a car. Meet the students, talk to the staff... we are not heartless money wasters like you seem to think we are. I am proud to be an LHS Panther.

eah1227
eah1227 04/03/11 - 09:57 pm
Hi, I'm a student at

Hi, I'm a student at Lakeside. I was sent to this article by one of my friends and all i can say is: How old are you all? I can assume you are adults, correct? Well I completely agree with gb1992.
Many of your comments frankly offended me. The crack about us being rich, now most of us are, but adults should NEVER stoop so low as to insult a CHILD, because that is what we are.
As for the Lady A insult.. should we apologize for having successful alumni who want to show their gratitude to the high school that nurtured their talents and helped them acheive what they have?(if only a little)
Oh also, you are all completely correct... let's NOT give anything to the school with the best test scores, recently some of the best sports teams, all around great students, and who have been given NOTHING else.(unlike the other high schools not including harlem I do understand they have probably more need than we do)
I'm not claiming to know everything about this, but my main point is that you all are adults, please start acting like it. And csrareader you are possibly the worst of all, not because of you opinion, but you are tearing down CHILDREN may i repeat... WE ARE CHILDREN. Do NOT take your mid-life crisis out on us by throwing a temper tantrum.
I'm sorry Im rambling but those of you who claim this was done in complete secrecy? Well i for one have known about it for month and have discussed it with many adults.
Thank you if you are still reading this, and do not ignore what I have said simply because I am a silly teenager and a part of "the spoiled student population at LHS". Oh, did I mention that I am only fifteen and appear to be more mature than most of you? I sincerely apologize if this offended anyone the way I was offended by many of the comments.

Right on
Right on 04/13/11 - 11:20 am
This land is being purchased

This land is being purchased with SPLOST money and not the general budget. Splost is supposed to be used for infrastructure such as repairs to utilities or running utilites to new areas to expand development. It is also used for road construction or repaving, etc. Even though it can be used for parks like the new one in Evans, it is not the best use. We have plenty of parks based on our population. Why wasn't the land in Evans used for future expansion of the gov't complex instead of another park. This 70 acres just purchased was prime residential property. The commissioners do not even realize the 70 acres does not connect to the current Greenspace. There is a little subdivsion know as the Boulders which must be crossed to reach the Greenspace. Idiots.