Roberson is out for school year

Richmond County school Superintendent Frank Roberson is not expected to return to work this school year, his family said in a statement released by the district Monday evening.

Frank Roberson: Richmond County school superintendent underwent brain surgery Feb. 24 and will not return to work this school year, according to his family.

Roberson, 55, was admitted to Medical College of Georgia Hospital on Feb. 22 after complaining of headaches and fatigue, which tests determined were caused by a cerebral hemorrhage. He underwent surgery Feb. 24 to relieve brain swelling and pressure.

That was all the result of an arteriovenous malformation, or an abnormal collection of blood vessels in his brain, according to previous statements from his family.

"As indicated in the update released on Thursday, February 24th, Dr. Roberson's progress is expected to be gradual and steady over time," said Doris Roberson, the superintendent's wife, in the statement Monday. "This process normally occurs over an average of four to six months.

"His care will include continuing treatment and therapy by his hospital physicians for his Arteriovenous Malformation condition followed by a period of rehabilitation after his release from MCG Health."

Roberson's progress is slow, his wife said, but he is showing gradual improvement.

"While he is not expected to return physically this school term, we look forward to the continuation of the pattern of progress that he has demonstrated as he moves through his continued treatment, regaining of strength, and overall recuperation," Doris Roberson said.

The school board named Deputy Superintendent James Whitson the acting superintendent at a special meeting March 1.

"We have been touched profoundly by the many acts of kindness expressed toward Dr. Roberson and our family," Doris Roberson said. "We extend our earnest appreciation to the CSRA community, including the students, teachers and staff of Richmond County Schools for your many prayers and thoughtful gestures."

Roberson family statement

Here is the text of an e-mail sent by Richmond County schools spokesman Louis Svehla at 8:03 p.m. today:

This update is from Mrs. Doris Roberson and the family of Dr. Frank G. Roberson, Richmond County Superintendent of Schools:

As indicated in the update released on Thursday, February 24th, Dr. Roberson's progress is expected to be gradual and steady over time. This process normally occurs over an average of four to six months. His care will include continuing treatment and therapy by his hospital physicians for his Arteriovenous Malformation condition followed by a period of rehabilitation after his release from MCG Health. While he is not expected to return physically this school term, we look forward to the continuation of the pattern of progress that he has demonstrated as he moves through his continued treatment, regaining of strength, and overall recuperation.

We have been touched profoundly by the many acts of kindness expressed toward Dr. Roberson and our family.  We extend our earnest appreciation to the CSRA community, including the students, teachers and staff of Richmond County Schools for your many prayers and thoughtful gestures.

Please continue to keep Superintendent Roberson in your thoughts and prayers.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 03/07/11 - 09:31 pm
Hope you have speedy recovery

Hope you have speedy recovery sir.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 03/07/11 - 09:46 pm
I hope the family can rally a

I hope the family can rally a good network of friends and extended family to support them through this difficult time. I will keep them in my prayers...

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 03/07/11 - 10:00 pm
You know, in times like this,

You know, in times like this, you HAVE to do what's good for yourself. The job can wait, and, luckily, there are people to take up the slack left behind. So, I hope Dr. Roberson and his family doesn't feel rushed in any way. Good luck in your recovery.

Cadence
Cadence 03/08/11 - 04:37 am
I am glad that it did not

I am glad that it did not progress to an even worse condition. So glad he sought medical help. Too many of us wait until it's too late. It sounds like he will recover well. Mr. R. had great ideas for the RCBOE but sometimes God just has other plans for our life. He'll be back. Maybe he can outline a great book about education during this down time.

nofrills
nofrills 03/08/11 - 08:22 am
My prayers and best wishes to

My prayers and best wishes to the Roberson family. the Doc was a honest and educated man that will be missed. Its a shame Aiken county let him get away.

pattym35
pattym35 03/08/11 - 12:58 pm
Sure do hope he has enough

Sure do hope he has enough sick time built up to cover his salary while he's out.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 03/08/11 - 02:12 pm
Godspeed, Mr. Roberson.

Godspeed, Mr. Roberson.

brain
brain 03/09/11 - 03:45 pm
I am a ruptured AVM and Brain

I am a ruptured AVM and Brain Injury survivor.

Richmond County School Superintendent Frank Roberson. I am a ruptured AVM survivor myself. I walked into work one Day feeling fine and very healthy at age 22 when a sudden massive pain hit me. It felt like a massive explosion went off inside of my head.
I went from being very able bodied to a severe disability and dying in an instant. It caused me to suffer my first of 2 seperate brain aneurysms. After surgery I was doing fine but soon after I went into a coma and had emergency brain surgery to stop a bleed on my brain. I am told my recovery was very long and I wasn’t even expected to walk talk or function again because my injuries were so severe.
I proved them wrong! It took me several Months and even Years for my recovery but one by one began to do each of the things I wasn’t supposed to be able to do. I would love to meet you and your Family some Day and discuss some of the several different methods that my Mother I came up with to help me recover. TWO OF THE BIGGES WERE THE POWER OF PRAYER AND MUSIC.
I had a 2nd aneurism that ruptured about 10 Years after the first one due to the severity of my AVM.
I was told I would never work again but I have been working for Walton Options for Independent Living for close to 8 years now which is pretty good for someone who wasn’t even expected to survive so I say to you and you’re Family is that when it seems like such a long and lonely road ahead to recovery there are a lot of people praying for you and that if in any way I can be of assistance please let me know.
Also related March is Brain Injury Awareness Month and we at the Augusta brain Injury support group are having an awareness walk and other event throughout the month to promote prevention.
Go to www.augustabrain.com for more information
Sincerely