Richmond schools chief has surgery

Richmond County schools Superintendent Frank Roberson is recovering after undergoing emergency surgery to relieve brain swelling and pressure, his family said Thursday night.

Frank Roberson: Richmond County schools superintendent's prognosis is good, but his recovery won't be immediate, his family said in a statement.

Roberson had surgery at 7:15 p.m. Thursday at Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where he was admitted Tuesday night after complaining of severe headaches and fatigue.

At 9 p.m. Thursday, doctors reported the surgery went well, according to a family statement released shortly after 10 p.m. by school system spokesman Louis Svehla.

After Roberson was admitted to MCG, doctors observed him and "he was voluntarily placed under sedation in order to administer several tests," the statement said.

"It was determined that Dr. Roberson has an Arteriovenous Malformation in his cerebral region which may have been present since birth," the family said. "AVM, as it is commonly (known), is an abnormal collection of blood vessels (arteries and veins). Often, an AVM is not found until a hemorrhage occurs, such as what Dr. Roberson experienced. Fortunately, the bleeding has been successfully treated."

The statement adds that AVM is rare, affecting just 0.1 percent of the population.

Roberson's prognosis is good, but his recovery won't be immediate, his family says.

"His progress is expected to be gradual and steady over the course of the next few weeks," the statement said. "The family wishes to express its heartfelt appreciation for the thoughts, prayers and well wishes of family, friends, the Richmond County School System and community. Mrs. (Doris) Roberson, daughters and the Roberson family will continue to keep the community updated regarding Dr. Roberson's progress and (they solicit) your continued prayers."

Roberson, 55, was hired as Richmond County's schools superintendent in August. He had most recently served as superintendent of the Marlboro County (S.C.) School District and was associate and interim superintendent in Edgefield County. He worked for 27 years in his native Aiken County, rising to become associate superintendent in that school district.

Earlier Thursday, before Roberson's surgery, Richmond County Deputy Superintendent James Whitson said district employees were keeping Roberson in their thoughts.

"Dr. Roberson is on all of our minds," Whitson said. "I don't think any of us isn't going into a meeting saying, 'What would Dr. Roberson say?'

"He and his family are in everybody's prayers up here. We think of him, and we're pleased he's doing well."

Staff writer Tracey McManus contributed to this article.

Statement by Frank Roberson's family

Here is the text of an e-mail sent to news media at 10:04 p.m. Thursday by Richmond County schools spokesman Louis Svehla, in which he sent a statement by Superintendent Frank Roberson's family:

In the same spirit of communication and community partnership that has characterized Dr. Roberson's tenure as Superintendent, the family is releasing the following statement:

As it has been reported, Dr. Roberson was admitted to MCG Health on Tuesday, February 22, 2011, following complaints of severe headaches and fatigue.  He was conscious and responding well. Upon arrival, following observation by his medical providers, he was voluntarily placed under sedation in order to administer several tests.

It was determined that Dr. Roberson has an Arteriovenous Malformation in his cerebral region which may have been present since birth.  AVM, as it is commonly referred, is an abnormal collection of blood vessels. (arteries and veins).  Often, an AVM is not found until a hemorrhage occurs, such as what Dr. Roberson experienced.  Fortunately, the bleeding has been successfully treated.  According to medical specialists, AVM affects 0.1% of the population.

Test results were released this afternoon which demonstrated the need for emergency surgery.  The procedure is expected to reduce cranial pressure and swelling.  At approximately, 7:15 PM this evening, Dr. Roberson was taken to surgery.  At 9:00 PM, the doctors reported that the surgery went well.  His progress is expected to be gradual and steady over the course of the next few weeks.

The family wishes to express its heartfelt appreciation for the thoughts, prayers and well wishes of family, friends, the Richmond County School System and community.  Mrs. Roberson, daughters, and the Roberson family will continue to keep the community updated regarding Dr. Roberson's progress and solicits your continued prayers.

soldout
soldout 02/24/11 - 07:58 pm
They must have some

They must have some information if they say he is doing well. Austin do you have an update?

soldout
soldout 02/24/11 - 09:36 pm
It is pretty easy to find out

It is pretty easy to find out how someone is doing if you just go sit and listen in the right place in a hospital so I am surprised some reporter isn't giving out some information. People talk and it is easy to find the right place to listen.

dougk
dougk 02/24/11 - 09:51 pm
Goodness, soldout. I have

Goodness, soldout. I have heard everything now.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 02/24/11 - 10:00 pm
My original post on this

My original post on this topic is still listed...and this just in...it is still accurate.

hellokitty12
hellokitty12 02/24/11 - 10:23 pm
to soldout- do you not have

to soldout- do you not have any idea what HIPAA is? and that it is illegal to go and seek out private health information on anyone? Wouldn't you like to go to jail and to face $250,000 in fines?? Really!!! Give the patient and family privacy!! The last thing anyone needs is a nosy reporter begging for information, because at MCG, they will NOT get it!

soldout
soldout 02/24/11 - 11:05 pm
That is just it; you don't

That is just it; you don't have to seek info. I have spent a lot of time in waiting rooms and regular rooms and people talk and talk. Doctors do too; they know the rules but they get careless. I had some training one time that taught me to listen to several conversations at once and I have extremely good hearing. I don't repeat the info I hear because I have no use for it but trust me, there is plenty of talk about conditions going on in the hospital setting. That is why it is so surprising that they have done such a good job keeping this quiet.

soldout
soldout 02/25/11 - 12:12 am
Good work on staying with

Good work on staying with what you knew Austin.

soldout
soldout 02/25/11 - 12:15 am
I think they will be

I think they will be surprised at how quickly he recovers as I have seen how the brain can many times; recover faster than any part of the body. This is a very good report.

lylagirl
lylagirl 02/25/11 - 12:28 am
Wishing Dr. Roberson a speedy

Wishing Dr. Roberson a speedy and blessed recovery

showboat
showboat 02/25/11 - 12:46 am
Austin you said he had

Austin you said he had surgery a few day ago, just happen tonite so you was wrong on the timeline!!!!!

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 02/25/11 - 01:10 am
The above family statement

The above family statement tells some, but not all...my original report was correct...right down to the words "cerebral bleed".
Not that it really matters in light of the story here...

sassylassie
sassylassie 02/25/11 - 01:10 am
Wishing Dr. Roberson a quick

Wishing Dr. Roberson a quick recovery. Lord knows RCBOE needs a decent, hardworking individual like him to turn that show around.
And, for once, I would like to see Mr. Svehla stop feeding the public baloney stories. Has anyone else noticed he NEVER GETS HIS FACTS STRAIGHT? Leave it to Austin to fill us in.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 02/25/11 - 01:17 am
Take it easy on Louis

Take it easy on Louis Svehla...NONE of the statements put out by family (three of them as of this moment) were written by him. All he did was email the FAMILY's STATEMENTS to his media contacts. That was simple professional courtesy.
Tune in tomorrow, and I can tell you about THAT conversation, and why we have seen a shift in "policy" in these statements.

athome
athome 02/25/11 - 02:11 am
Austin Rhodes: You earn your

Austin Rhodes: You earn your paycheck with exageration and inuendo. Frank Roberson is a good man who needs all of our prayers for his total recovery NOT your "who's right" mentality which you were NOT! The BOE is releasing statements made by Mrs. Frank Roberson and I wholely believe her MORE THAN YOU!

iLove
iLove 02/25/11 - 08:43 am
Mr. Rhodes, since you

Mr. Rhodes, since you departure from the Metro Spirit, it seems that you have MORE THAN ENOUGH time on your hands. Why not start your own blog/forum so that you can always be first and right.

nerthus
nerthus 02/25/11 - 08:46 am
Dr. Robertson is fortunate

Dr. Robertson is fortunate that he is not one of the 30,000,000 without insurance.

justthefacts
justthefacts 02/25/11 - 08:51 am
He's probably better

He's probably better described as responsible for having insurance vs fortunate.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 02/25/11 - 08:53 am
Actually...most of all this

Actually...most of all this was posted on my "Austin Rhodes Show" Facebook page, as it happened...but thanks for asking.

Being first is not as important as getting the story right, or bringing in as many facts as possible, which is what I did.

There was an active disagreement in the family over the way this information was being released (or not), but finally, with the insistence of several school board members who did not like the fact that the public was being misled in the "official" reports, most of the truth is now out.

The time frame and step by step process has still not been completely addressed in the new press release, but that is no big deal...my reports were accurate from the beginning, and I continue to stand behind them as I always have.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/25/11 - 09:13 am
Austin......I like your posts

Austin......I like your posts but really....do we need to know EVERY detail on his medical procedures??

Let's just suppose YOU had to have surgery on your private parts....you are a public figure---you are in the news daily---would we have the right to know everything ?? Just wondering....no harm meant..

DRRush
DRRush 02/25/11 - 09:27 am
There again, a prime example

There again, a prime example of the fact that Rhodes cannot admit when he is wrong! He could care less about the facts he just wanted to be the one who "broke" the story. Rhodes, if we wanted your opinion, we wold listen to your show. Why don't you leave this blog to us ordinary people who don't always have all the answers.

DRRush
DRRush 02/25/11 - 09:30 am
My son was born with an AVM

My son was born with an AVM and had surgery when he was 4 days old. It is a very serious condition and I pray that Dr. Roberson will have a speedy and successful recovery!

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 02/25/11 - 09:41 am
Well...seeing as how we have

Well...seeing as how we have the "details" of the procedure last night listed in the official release, and printed above...I guess that answers the question.

The information I put out was DIRECTLY from a family member who was seeking for Dr. R to be lifted up in prayer by the community. I shared what detail I did at THEIR REQUEST.

AFTER my report (and Channel 6's, which came AFTER mine, from yet another source) aired, OTHER family members were angry there was ANY information out. Then came the press releases pooh-poohing the original information.

The primary lesson here is NOT to mislead the public with inaccurate information, which sadly, is what the first official press release did.

This is a VERY serious condition, and had a member of the family not CALLED ME and asked for me to relay the information, I would not have been able to contradict the original statements which seemed to pass this situation off as benign.

I never said the public had the "right" to know the details...but I do insist that the public not be misled, which is exactly what was going on.

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/25/11 - 09:39 am
Some of us won't qualify for

Some of us won't qualify for that ordinary remark...:) :)

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/25/11 - 09:41 am
Didn't mean to "ruffle"

Didn't mean to "ruffle" feathers.......lighten up some...

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/25/11 - 09:46 am
Austin....since you want to

Austin....since you want to get down to the facts.... & you don't want us misled.... could you pleeeeezzzee find out what the true facts are in the upheaval in the middle east.....somehow I don't think we know....& I think our leaders here don't have a clue... so what gives??

soldout
soldout 02/25/11 - 09:51 am
good work Austin; remember

good work Austin; remember the truth always upsets folks more than a lie.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 02/25/11 - 09:55 am
Seenit, my "battlefield" is

Seenit, my "battlefield" is the CSRA...I leave the international intrigue to the folks over there...

seenitB4
seenitB4 02/25/11 - 09:58 am
Keep it up Austin...I really

Keep it up Austin...I really like your posts....
talk toya later......life is calling. :)

Insider Information
Insider Information 02/25/11 - 10:01 am
I think it's beyond sick that

I think it's beyond sick that while a man lies in the hospital a local entertainer is spewing venom by accusing his family of lying to boost his ratings.

We pray for Dr. Roberson and his family. We pray that people will people will be smart enough to ignore the rumors.

soldout
soldout 02/25/11 - 10:09 am
The truth is the truth no

The truth is the truth no matter who is saying it.