Education

More News | |

Richmond County students suspended in tribunals

Two students were suspended after they were found with sharp items, and two others were suspended following an indecent exposure incident in class, according to Richmond County tribunal findings made public Friday.

At Academy of Richmond County, a student identified as C.G. was found guilty of possessing a razor blade on Sept. 30 and was suspended for the rest of the semester with the option to attend the Tubman Education Center Alternative Program, according to the report.

At Tutt Middle School, two students, identified as L.J. and A.H., were found guilty of illicit or immoral activities. On Sept. 28, L.J. asked A.H. to show his "private parts" in class, so he did, the report said.

A.H. was suspended five days in addition to the original suspension he received from the school, assigned to in-school suspension and was placed on probation for the rest of the school year. L.J., who receives special services, was given time served. The panel showed leniency because of the circumstances of the case, the report said.

At Pine Hill Middle School, a student identified as T.B. was found guilty of possessing a knife and a 3-inch letter opener, on Sept. 28, according to the tribunal finding.

T.B. was suspended for 10 days and placed on probation for the rest of the school year.

Farmboy
Farmboy 10/22/10 - 02:59 pm
This is sad, but it's what we

This is sad, but it's what we have come to expect.

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 10/22/10 - 03:16 pm
This is what happens when the

This is what happens when the government hijacks and controls the media. Kids today are mimicking the characters in tv programs and the lyrics to songs that invade our homes, this is what our children see so this is how they believe they are suppose to behave. We need to wake up, turn off the media and show them how we expect them to grow up to be productive citizens without a criminal record before they leave school.

Nightwing
Nightwing 10/22/10 - 04:21 pm
Seems that of late a lot of

Seems that of late a lot of these troubled students are receiving Special Services. Students wanting to learn need to be protected as well as the teachers. Parents need to get involved.

dani
dani 10/22/10 - 04:54 pm
I was just talking with my

I was just talking with my sister about the school situation here.
She says she is really proud of the Washington County Schools, the boys are required to wear khaki pants (knee shorts are acceptable during the warm months) solid color shirts with collars and 3 buttons and belts.
She says that when she picks them up they are so cute, all standing neatly dressed waiting for their ride. God Bless them all..

oh bull
oh bull 10/22/10 - 06:18 pm
that is why the Richmond

that is why the Richmond county school system is in such bad shape. they need to get the thugs out of the schools and get the "special needs" out of the regular classes, the teachers have no time to spend with the other kids because of these.

trimmy
trimmy 10/22/10 - 09:11 pm
I got spankings in grammar

I got spankings in grammar school and the paddle in Junior High. Never been arrested or in jail. No one can touch the thugs in school nowadays. We will regret it later.

corgimom
corgimom 10/22/10 - 10:52 pm
Yes, wouldn't you just love

Yes, wouldn't you just love it if your child got to witness a child exposing himself in a classroom?

If they are on a behavioral IEP, they can pretty much do anything they want- and they know it.

tchnga
tchnga 10/22/10 - 11:02 pm
CorgiMom You think you know

CorgiMom

You think you know everything about IEPs, EIPs, and special education. Do you know the IDEA laws, the GA procedural safeguards, and what disciplining a student with special needs means? Obviously you don't because you wouldn't say half of what you do unless you are truly special yourself. Do you have a degree in special education or education administration? I'm going to bet not. Stop being an obnoxious observer to everything. Perhaps if you spent less time on the comment boards here and more time being a productive member of society you would not have such negative feelings, emotions, and hostility towards others and yes I do have advanced degrees in both special education and educational administration.

itamazezme
itamazezme 10/23/10 - 01:53 am
Is it just me or does it seem

Is it just me or does it seem like ever since the "government" took over raising our children by telling them they have "rights" i.e. I can't use corporal punishment on school grounds (because dfcs will get called on me), or at home (because the schools teach them that "if you (the child) feel like anyone (including your parents) are doing something you don't like, etc call 911, or my two favorite ones---where your 16 yr old has the "right" to drop out of school without your permission, (and you can't do anything about it and you (the parent) can't put them out of your house until they are 17) and I did say two favorites...so, here's the other my minor age child can go to the doctor and get services for having sex, etc. and I don't get to have any knowledge of what's going on much less a voice in any of the decisions on they're healthcare but I do get stuck with the bill...If we took back their "rights" then maybe they would be so afraid of the parents (like they were back in my day) that none of this nonsense would be happening.

journey
journey 10/23/10 - 12:45 pm
Why is only Richmond County

Why is only Richmond County tribunals published in the AC? Where are the reports from Columbia and Aiken Counties? I say publish all local tribunals or publish none!

corgimom
corgimom 10/23/10 - 08:54 pm
"Do you know the IDEA laws,

"Do you know the IDEA laws, the GA procedural safeguards, and what disciplining a student with special needs means? "

Considering that my autistic son was on an IEP in Georgia, yes, I'd say I do. I've been the mother of an autistic child for 30 years. You can have all the diplomas and degrees in the world. You earned your knowledge the easy way; I earned my knowledge the hard way, by living it.

tchnga, I think it's great that you have advanced degrees in special education. Since you work in special ed, what is your position towards disabled people- since I am disabled? If that's what you meant by "truly special", then yes, I guess I am.

Kind of hypocritical, don't you think? Don't most of your special ed kids grow up to be disabled adults?

Doesn't sound to me like you have too much respect for disabled people. But tell me, how does that work, with you working with special ed kids? If you have a disabled parent of a special needs child, do you tell them that they should become a productive member of society?

Perhaps you should worry less about how much and what I am posting, and more about yourself.

But thanks for your concern for me. I appreciate it.

tchnga
tchnga 10/24/10 - 05:21 pm
Corgimom, Again you must

Corgimom,

Again you must defend yourself and again you are a master of knowledge in everything. I have a great deal of respect for students with disabilities as I am a person with a disability as well. I do not dwell on the fact that I have one, I work to overcome mine and help others realize that you can be as successful as one would like to be. I commend you on working with your son. I did not take the easy way learning about people with special needs. I knew a great deal more about it and still know a great deal more about it than any book, professor, or lecturer can ever tell me or others.

I don't have to defend everything I write on the message boards and enjoy reading MOST people's opinions however I do get sick and tired of seeing your uneducated, hypocritical posts about every article. Challenge yourself not to post for a day and see how much happier you are.

Reverie
Reverie 10/24/10 - 06:23 pm
We only hear about the

We only hear about the discipline events that make it to tribunal. Why don't we get a discipline report from each school on a monthly or quarterly basis? Maybe the Board members and parents will wake up when they see what is exactly going down in their school.