Education

More News | |

Group set to face Ku Klux Klan at rally

Counterdemonstration to support tolerance

It wasn't until the end of her whirlwind week that Christin Meador stopped to really consider whom she would be facing today.

Dana Cheshire (top right) and friends make signs for a counterdemonstration planned during today's KKK rally outside of Augusta State University. The group, Proud Ally, is composed of heterosexuals who wish to demonstrate their support for the homosexual community.   Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff
Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff

Meador admits going against the Ku Klux Klan outside the gates of Augusta State University has her a little worried. But it also steels her resolve to present a another image, one of tolerance.

"This is the civil rights (struggle) of our generation," she said.

Meador is founder of Proud Ally, one of several gay rights groups that will band together today against the KKK's rally. The Klan plans to march in support of graduate counseling student Jennifer Keeton, who sued ASU after staff told her to take a remediation program because of her views on homosexuality.

Keeton has vehemently denied any support or connection with the KKK.

On Friday evening, supporters of Proud Ally met at Nacho Mama's in downtown Augusta to make signs and formulate a strategy. A few minutes with neon-colored poster board and thick double-sided markers produced signs such as "Love Not Hate."

Meador, an Augusta native who now lives in New York City, formed Proud Ally as an outlet for straight people to support the homosexual community. She said the issue of gay rights is especially germane right now in light of recent suicides and hate crimes against gay students.

"It's a crisis in sense," she said.

Afternoon rallies

The Ku Klux Klan plans to rally today from 1 until 4 p.m. on Fleming Street, across from Augusta State University's main entrance on Walton Way.

Confederate group will not protest at ASU

A local Confederate group will not be attending today's planned rally outside the gates of Augusta State University.

Lee Herron, the commander of the Brig. Gen. E. Porter Alexander Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp #158 in Augusta, said Friday that his group will not join the protests out of concerns of being mistaken for supporting other attendees, specifically the Ku Klux Klan.

Officials said Thursday that the Confederate group had expressed interest in obtaining a permit to appear at the protests two days after Proud Ally, a gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender group, announced they would hold a counterprotest against the Klan.

Herron said their intention was to "counterprotest the Klan for their use of the Confederate battle flag and the hateful way they use it. They've basically hijacked a flag of honor and (are) using it for their hateful purposes and that's wrong," he said.

-- Adam Folk, staff writer

Comments (41)

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/22/10 - 09:03 am

Under orders of General

Under orders of General Porter the Confederate brigade has withdrawn to a safer position.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 10/22/10 - 09:23 am

good idea - not pouring oil

good idea - not pouring oil on the fire

Ushouldnthave
Ushouldnthave 10/22/10 - 09:43 am

Frankly, my dear, I don't

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

mable8
mable8 10/22/10 - 09:47 am

About time someone showed

About time someone showed some common sense! Notice to the KKK: pack your baggage and go back to the North from whence you came; you are not, and never have been, Southerners but you have always been Northern scalawags and carpetbaggers.

KingJames
KingJames 10/22/10 - 10:02 am

Thank you, Lee Herron. Until

Thank you, Lee Herron. Until now I had made no comments about this group joining in the protests, but felt that doing so would have misrepresented it's heritage. This group should probably do some PR to counter the public's false assumption that it is closely allied with the KKK.

Dixieman
Dixieman 10/22/10 - 10:59 am

I protest the SCV's failure

I protest the SCV's failure to protest the KKK's protest at ASU in favor of...
I'm so confused!!

Farmboy
Farmboy 10/22/10 - 11:33 am

This issue is getting OLD.

This issue is getting OLD.

Rolling Eyes
Rolling Eyes 10/22/10 - 11:56 am

I'm glad to see the Sons of

I'm glad to see the Sons of the Confederates distance themselves from the hate group the KKK. Too many misinformed people already blend the two groups together in their minds and attending this protest would only reinforce their wrong beliefs.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/22/10 - 01:45 pm

What time is it going to be

What time is it going to be held, so I won't get held up in traffic, I want to avoid the area at that time. Prefer to not give them any attention.

ruudvonbaron
ruudvonbaron 10/22/10 - 01:45 pm

Aww come on. We need more to

Aww come on. We need more to join the protest. How about it DAR? PETA? Chamber of Commerce?

Nightwing
Nightwing 10/22/10 - 02:01 pm

Finally someone showing some

Finally someone showing some sense. Now if the media would stay away and deny anyone their 15 minuets of fame.

PalmettoPartisan
PalmettoPartisan 10/22/10 - 05:57 pm

I wholeheartedly support the

I wholeheartedly support the Brig. Gen. E. Porter Alexander Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp #158 decision to stay clear of this protest.
And for those who don't already know:
The "official" flag of the KKK is, and always has been, the American Flag.
( Reference http://butchyon.homestead.com/KKKFlag.html ). If you don't believe it, just ask any of their members! Yes, the Klan and other hate groups have also dishonorably used a variety of Confederate flags, the Christian Flag, and any other flag that they believe will garner them some attention at their rallies. So, here’s the question: Should we brand ALL the flags that these groups choose to misuse "flags of hate"? Should we also condemn and prohibit anyone from displaying the KKK's official flag, Old Glory?
The Sons of Confederate Veterans does not condone the use of our ancestors’ flags by any hate group! I'm sure that the US Government and most Americans don’t appreciate them using Old Glory during their demonstrations, either, but that doesn't make the American Flag a "flag of hate". Neither does it disgrace the Confederate Flag, the Christian Flag, or any other flag they hijack for their despicable purposes!

freeradical
freeradical 10/22/10 - 07:45 pm

Just as well. Talk about

Just as well.

Talk about being a day late and a dollar short

They really needed to show up about 100 years ago

John Locke
John Locke 10/22/10 - 08:55 pm

A flag of honor?? What

A flag of honor?? What honor? Men who flew that flag killed hundreds of US Army soldiers in the name of protecting the slavocracy of the south. Fighting against the US flag is treason, how is that honor?

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/22/10 - 09:39 pm

If the SOCV came out for the

If the SOCV came out for the 1st amendment, they'd be accused of supporting the kkk, and if they came out against the kkk, they'd be accused of supporting the pro-homosexual choice.
This was a lose / lose for the SOCV.

If the kkk and the gays come to blows, I wonder who'll get the best of it?

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/22/10 - 10:51 pm

Johnston, they can roll in

Johnston, they can roll in the sheets together.

MajorPaul
MajorPaul 10/23/10 - 03:06 am

John Locke, I think you need

John Locke, I think you need to go back and study some history. What the Confederacy was about was freedom to be governed by the consent of the people, not slavery. None of those Union soldiers would have ever been killed at all, had they not invaded a country which was no threat to them, and wanted nothing but to be left alone.
If it was about slavery why didnt Lincoln ever free any slaves? General Grant didnt free his own slaves until after he became president.
Lincoln publicly stated that he did not care much about slavery either way.
As far as the gay rights issue, Miss Keaton's case is not about gay rights one way or another either. It is all about her opinion and convictions. It seems the gay community (and ASU) does not think any position but their own has any validity.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/23/10 - 06:02 am

So who do you stand with?

So who do you stand with? The supporters of the KKK mindset or the group that just wants Civil Rights for everyone, including themselves?

I do think this lady is standing on her principles (and on her principals too I might add), but I can warn her that doing so always has a price.

Brad

Dixieman
Dixieman 10/23/10 - 06:29 am

Y'all have fun out there

Y'all have fun out there today...I will be doing something important like my grocery shopping and changing my oil.

scott-hudson
scott-hudson 10/23/10 - 06:49 am

Dixieman, I am protesting

Dixieman,
I am protesting right along with you...car needs cleaning, we are out of TP, and I need to buy a shirt for an event tonight...no time to care about the KKK...

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 10/23/10 - 07:30 am

scott, I figured you media

scott,

I figured you media types would be all over the gay protest.

Brad

soldout
soldout 10/23/10 - 08:03 am

There won't be any gays

There won't be any gays there; just those who do a gay sin. Sin is a destroyer and no one can change that. Nothng going on that the gospel wouldn't fix.

edwardc
edwardc 10/23/10 - 08:23 am

Poor Jennifer! Being

Poor Jennifer! Being supported by the KKK! Birds of a feather flock together.

dani
dani 10/23/10 - 08:34 am

oopsy

oopsy

johnston.cliff
johnston.cliff 10/23/10 - 08:34 am

You got that right, edwardc,

You got that right, edwardc, the pro-gay movement would never support the 1st amendment.

scott-hudson
scott-hudson 10/23/10 - 08:48 am

Brad, I am not your typical

Brad, I am not your typical "media type" and you know that...CBS News asked me to cover the "event," and I would have gotten paid of course, but I have other things to do today, so I declined. I could not care less about the likes of the KKK and I made that pretty clear on the airwaves.

dani
dani 10/23/10 - 08:50 am

Now is the time - to repost

Now is the time - to repost this site and appreciate this beautiful Saturday that the Lord has given us.
Ray Charles "America the Beautiful"

ishefa
ishefa 10/23/10 - 08:56 am

The KKK is an evil,

The KKK is an evil, terrorist’s gang that has a long dark and violent history of murder, lynching’s arson and intimidation in this country.
Yet, while petty criminals are locked-up for years, this government has allowed and even at one period in time, sanctioned this brutal and wanton violence against its citizens. The hypocrisy and double standards in continuing to crack down on other streets gangs while allowing these criminals to walk the streets is a shame on this country.

Georgiais1
Georgiais1 10/23/10 - 09:09 am

What does the gangs and thugs

What does the gangs and thugs doing drive by shootings every other day in this community have to do with these protests? Boy some people's reasoning amazes.........

Scribbles
Scribbles 10/23/10 - 10:19 am

I may be putting myself out

I may be putting myself out there for a beatin' but here goes.... Jennifer should not be discriminated against and forced to counsel people that practice a belief that conflicts with her own. There are plenty of opportunities in counselling within her comfort zone and I would not want someone counselling me with covert issues regarding my sexuality, religious beliefs, health issues, political opinions, etc. ASU should make concessions for her just as a science department made concessions for Muslims who had adversions to disecting pigs in biology lab while I was required to participate.

Augusta pensioners eye benefit increase

With an eye on the millions remaining in the city's oldest pension funds - its 1945 and 1949 plans - a handful of retired city and county employees are reviving a push to increase their monthly ...