Ku Klux Klan plans rally for ASU student's rights

The Ku Klux Klan will hold a rally in support of the Augusta State University counseling student who claims her First Amendment rights were violated when the school ordered her to learn more about the homosexual community.

Bobby Spurlock, who identified himself as imperial wizard knighthawk and grand dragon of South Carolina and North Carolina, said the KKK has met with school officials and plans to protest the school's treatment of 24-year-old Jennifer Keeton on Oct. 23 from 1 to 4 p.m. Klan members will be in full dress across from the school's main Walton Way entrance in the median at Fleming Avenue.

Spurlock said the KKK believes Keeton's rights were violated when the school required her to participate in a remediation program after she objected to counseling homosexuals.

"It's your constitutional right, so how could you tell someone you have to do something completely different?" Spurlock said. "We're not out to harm her. We're trying to protest the constitutional rights that they are trying to take away from her."

Spurlock said the KKK has not been in contact with Keeton.

"She is no way whatsoever affiliated with us," he said. "She has not contacted us, but we were contacted by someone that is aware of her."

A message left on Keeton's cell phone was not returned Tuesday.

Richmond County sheriff's Lt. Scott Gay said members of the KKK met with the sheriff's office Saturday to discuss security for the protest. Gay stressed that his office's involvement is strictly neutral.

"We are not condoning it one way or another," Gay said.

Spurlock said he is affiliated with the Church of the National Knights of the KKK based in South Bend, Ind. He said the group, which boasts 100,000 members, is active in 41 states and 21 countries.

It was formed in 1960 as a response to the civil rights movement from a collection of splintered Klan groups in Southern states, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center's Web site.

momster59
momster59 10/05/10 - 08:42 pm
While I agree with you

While I agree with you Natchez, unfortunately according to the US Constitution, the KKK does have the right to protest. They have the right to spew what filth and hatred they want. Best way to get them is to ignore them. If this is the same pitiful group that showed up in Edgefield and sent their representatives with their hate signs and speech to the Pride Parade, they have their own punishment in being so pathetic.

For those that keep defending the KKK, who's history of murder, torture, oppression and terror is well documented, why would you join a group with this name and reputation. Why not reorganize under a name that is not so filled with hate? I'll tell you why, because you still stand for the racist, intolerant values of the old Klan. I refuse to feed your hate.

If Jennifer has any sense at all, she will distance herself from these (insert your cuss word here, Sean's going to delete what I want to say). Better yet, if she has any sense, she will realize that when grown ups take graduate level courses, they have to abide by the rules to graduate, and further that it is NOT OK to be biased when you are a school counselor.

usafvet
usafvet 10/05/10 - 08:53 pm
CoastalDawg, what's with the

CoastalDawg, what's with the 9:21 post? Is there wrong usage?

usafvet
usafvet 10/05/10 - 09:15 pm
Has anyone on here heard of

Has anyone on here heard of the "black panthers"?
Has anyone on here decided that civil rights do not also belong to whites?
What about equality? Does affirmative action deny whites equality, well yes it does, but we do still have some rights. Treat the KKK like I did the gay rallies, stay away. Live and let live.

lashnjo
lashnjo 10/05/10 - 09:24 pm
I believe this will actually

I believe this will actually be beneficial for the gay rights movement and detrimental to the new Jim Crow laws. All we need is a massive panda to hug. I want a panda.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/05/10 - 09:25 pm
Fiat had a meeting to attend,

Fiat had a meeting to attend, and as for being owned, especially by Asitisin, well it would be a cold day in well, you know, before that ever happened.

The issue over Jenn Keeton's lawsuit has been thrashed to powder in the AC comments forums. I see no reason to add to what I already have said on that issue.

As for Asitisnt, his unsubstantiated ranting, railing and insulting language is loathsome, especially being directed at a decent person who stood up, said what she believed and refused to back down even in the fact of ruinous punishment and the scandalized outrage of numerous opinionated clods.

In fact, I find Asit's verbal lashing not just in poor taste, but small-minded and petty at this late date, similar in pure annoyance value to the appearance of the KKK.

I don't really care what you, or any who view this as you do, think about Jenn Keeton or homosexuals or anything else. I care if you are personal and abusive in your attack of a position or opinion, with only "I heard she..." as support for launching into it.

Again, I hope the KKK does not show up. It will not bring about anything good for anyone, and I strongly suspect that Jenn Keeton sees that the same way.

dani
dani 10/05/10 - 09:38 pm
Mention the KKK and the

Mention the KKK and the hatred spews forth like a gusher.
Hopefully they won't show up, there is no place for such an organization in a civilized society, (same goes for the New Black Panthers, put them in the same pot. I don't which would be more frightful, sheets or clubs.)

Hucklebuck
Hucklebuck 10/05/10 - 09:51 pm
We really don't need this

We really don't need this right now( or ever) but I got to give the KKK credit for knowing how to get attention. Only in Augusta,GA!!!

Hucklebuck
Hucklebuck 10/06/10 - 01:10 am
USAVET you do know that white

USAVET you do know that white women benefited from affirmative action more than any other group?

The KKK has to right to protest. Most folks might not like what they are saying but they have that right.

Civil rights are for everyone that is born in the United States. Your KKK buddies don't think that others have the right to even exist let along be treated equal. So please don't ever compare the KKK to any other civil rights group. KKK has a history of violence and terror. The only reason why they have changed is that black people don't fear them anymore. The KKK is nothing without fear.

The Black Panthers are not a civil rights group they are a bunch of thugs.

Jesse, AL, NAACP, KKK they are all in the race business. They are part of the forces out there to keep us from coming together and realzing that we all have a common enemy.

libertarianvoter
libertarianvoter 10/05/10 - 11:05 pm
I hate the KKK, but I'm glad

I hate the KKK, but I'm glad this will hurt her case. I feel like there's more to what happened than ASU making her compromise her beliefs.

j2says
j2says 10/06/10 - 12:10 am
Hucklebuck...don't associate

Hucklebuck...don't associate the poster as being buddies with the Klan. It's may be construed as a personal insult and that's not allowed. Your comment may be removed..even though the poster in question doesn't really deny it. However, comment's like calling the President Mr. Bojangles is a-okay. *rolls eyes* Klan comments about someone who seems ok with the association a terrible thing; thinly veiled (or not)racist and sexist comments that insult a race or whole group of people are fine.

ros1342
ros1342 10/06/10 - 01:00 am
Hum....I was considering

Hum....I was considering moving there and enrolling in ASU. However, I don't know now.

chasboy
chasboy 10/06/10 - 02:37 am
The Klan is still around?

The Klan is still around? What do they have like 11 members or something.

freeradical
freeradical 10/06/10 - 05:07 am
These clowns are awfully late

These clowns are awfully late arriving at the ball ?

It is curious to me that staff writer, Adam Folk , reports

that the imperial-clown claims that they:

"were contacted by someone who is aware of her"

Really?

Mr. Folk reports no other details of who this mysterious contact is?

Who is this mysterious "someone" that enjoys that rare priviledge

of "being aware of her" Mr Folk ?

This story hit its peak quite some time ago, if find quite odd that

at this late date when the story has gone cold that this mysterious

someone who is "aware of her" suddenly felt compelled to make

contact with KKK on her behalf.

Does this reported "contact" imply that the Imperial puddin head was

not "aware" of her before this "contact" was made Mr. Folk?

Quite a few details that must have been conveyed are absent here staff

writer Adam Folk.

Can we be made "aware" of them Please?

fftaz71
fftaz71 10/06/10 - 05:09 am
Keetons legal complaint was

Keetons legal complaint was posted on nbcaugusta.com some time ago. It included minutes or depositions from faculty members who stated that a) they had been approached by students who complained that Ms. Keeton was trying to sway her beliefs on them, b) she initially agreed to their demands, then disagreed, then agreed, then decided once again that she couldnt do it. The letters written by Ms Keeton were part of the complaint. Ms. Keeton was also being required to retake the English part of her school requirements.

Id like to throw this out here...but I went to Catholic school. I graduated in 1989. I have never been encouraged to hate or try to change gays, in fact, Im more inclined to say that we were encouraged to accept that people are who they are. So please dont automatically assume that a Christian school is going to accept and allow Ms Keeton to openly state she will violate the code of ethics of counselors. Ironically, by her statements to the fact that she will try to change gays through counseling, she has also renounced the American Association of Christian Counselor's own Code of Ethics. Here is but ONE point in their Code of Ethics....

"Affirmatively, Christian counselors recognize and uphold the inherent, God-given dignity of every human person, from the pre-born to those on death’s bed. Human beings are God’s creation—in fact, the crown of His creation—and are therefore due all the rights and respect and ordered logic that this fact of creation entails.
Therefore, regardless of how we respond to and challenge harmful attitudes and actions, Christian counselors will express a loving care to any client, service-inquiring person, or anyone encountered in the course of practice or ministry, without regard to race, ethnicity, gender, sexual behavior or orientation, socio-economic status, education, denomination, belief system, values, or political affiliation. God’s love is unconditional and, at this level of concern, so must that of the Christian counselor."

If you all would like to learn the rest...heres the link...http://www.aacc.net/about-us/code-of-ethics/

Here is the American Counseling Associations link to their code of ethics...

Neither one of these associations would support Ms. Keetons statements. THIS is why ASU is requesting she go through some remedial training to gain some diversity training regarding gays. Incidentally, if you read the full code of ethics for the ACA, not the one abbreviated for the layperson, counselor educators are also required by the same code of ethics to require the counselor in training to perform some form of diversity training.

dougk
dougk 10/06/10 - 05:41 am
thanks, fftaz. I'm relieved

thanks, fftaz. I'm relieved to learn that Ms. Keeton may not have a chance to mess with or mess up kids that go to Christian schools, too.

belle
belle 10/06/10 - 05:48 am
Whether or not Miss Keeton

Whether or not Miss Keeton has a case is between her, ASU and the courts. I just hope she does not drop her case just because of these idiots. They are just looking for an excuse to make trouble and whether she drops the case or not they will continue with their plan to cause civil unrest.

TK3
TK3 10/06/10 - 08:07 am
How many have ever been out

How many have ever been out to actually protest anything?? Agree with them or not, matters not, support their right and ANYONE that wants to protest ANYTHING as is their RIGHT, as well as yours. We have already reached a dangerous point where Big Brother is trying hard to restrict free speech to at best, off site, fenced in, so called "free speech zones".

batya
batya 10/06/10 - 09:10 am
I agree they have the right

I agree they have the right to free speech. BUT, really..... we don't need, nor want, YOUR help KKK!!! This really makes matters MUCH worse!

KingJames
KingJames 10/06/10 - 09:40 am
Coastal, she has the same

Coastal, she has the same rights to a publicly funded school. If she doesn't agree with the curriculum, then she has the right to go to another school. I attended a university founded by Catholics. They didn't reprogram me or try to convert me to Catholicism. I also attended the University of South Carolina, and was exposed to things I didn't agree with there. I wasn't in a counseling program at either university. I'm currently working on a graduate school admissions package to a Christian university that offers degrees in psychology and counseling. I chose those univerisities because of the degrees offered and because of the emphasis on religion which wasn't forced on the students beyond the general knowledge of a well-rounded individual. Ms. Keeton could have done the same thing. She could have simply completed all required courses and practicums, graduated, and then still practiced as a Christian counselor. At least that way she would have reaffirmed what she believes by understanding the practices of other counselors who believe different on the issue of homosexuality. That's not reprogramming as much as it is understanding the other program even if you disagree with it.

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 10/06/10 - 10:16 am
Most folks don't know how

Most folks don't know how hard it is to get into the Klan. I tried but couldn't cut the mustard. On the Burning Cross test I failed on a technicality because I destroyed the Imperial Grand Exalted Reichsfurher Klingon's garage by lighting the cross while loading it in the back of the truck instead of waiting until we got to the site. The best knot I could do for the lynch rope was a slip knot. At the initiation picnic I brought bagels, matzo balls and tried to lead everyone in a rousing Hail Mary prayer. I think what sealed the deal for me was the questionaire when I marked "No" to the question of if I had ever had intimate sexual contact with a close family member or pet.

mable8
mable8 10/06/10 - 10:48 am
According to the ASCA Code of

According to the ASCA Code of Ethics, the very FIRST standard reads: "Each person has the right to be respected, be treated with dignity
and have access to a comprehensive school counseling program
that advocates for and affirms all students from diverse populations
including: ethnic/racial identity, age, economic status, abilities/
disabilities, language, immigration status, sexual orientation,
gender, gender identity/expression, family type, religious/spiritual
identity and appearance." The school counselor's responsibilities to the student include: "Respect students’ values, beliefs and cultural background and do not impose the school counselor’s personal values on students or their families" and "Consider the involvement of support networks valued by the individual students." It is clearly obvious that Ms Keeton does not wish to honor these ethical standards, which makes her motivation in becoming a school counselor (or any other type of counselor) rather suspect. Either she follows the Code of Ethics or she should find some other profession to become involved in. In case anyone wonders where to read the Code of Ethics in its entirety, then please go to: http://asca2.timberlakepublishing.com//files/EthicalStandards2010.pdf.

razoredge
razoredge 10/06/10 - 11:36 am
i think people like

i think people like dickworth1 need to come out of the closet. I mean really, it's the 21st Century. Supporting the gay community is like supporting your school colors. This whole thing is ridiculous. It's like religion, but i wont go into that.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 10/06/10 - 12:02 pm
I'm tempted to bring a lawn

I'm tempted to bring a lawn chair and a bag of popcorn and watch the show--been a while since I've seen a free live comedy performance.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 10/06/10 - 12:11 pm
Another witty feint from the

Another witty feint from the Boog. Awesome!

tinytuna
tinytuna 10/06/10 - 12:12 pm
Boogaloo, You made me laugh

Boogaloo,
You made me laugh out loud! Thanks!!

Keppler
Keppler 10/06/10 - 12:52 pm
Nice that Ms. Keeton has

Nice that Ms. Keeton has friends with views that ideologically complement her own and can help her in her quest for justice. I wonder if the KKK would be as willing to help if she were African American.

C2Soldier
C2Soldier 10/06/10 - 01:21 pm
Extremist none the less!

Extremist none the less! Anyone claiming affiliation with the KKK is stating acceptance of their past terroristic acts. They should be deemed a domestic enemy and no permit should be issued for their rally. I feel that the only cause they could possibly serve is one of social unrest.

C2Soldier
C2Soldier 10/06/10 - 01:25 pm
Of course if I have the same

Of course if I have the same opinion of the newly founded "Black Panther" Party, Democratic Party, Republican Party. : )

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 10/06/10 - 02:19 pm
If you want to see what kind

If you want to see what kind of reaction KKK brings out in people of color , go to youtube and check out The Amazing Racist KKK. You'll get a good laugh.

RichmondCountyResident1
RichmondCountyResident1 10/06/10 - 04:05 pm
No doubt we would have folks

No doubt we would have folks adding the NAACP, Al, Jesse and Affirmative Action aka black people into the mix .These are the same folks and law the Klan dislikes too.They will use any article to inject the own prejudices into this, while pretending to admonish the Klan.As far as the article, its just birds of a feather flocking together.They hate people ie. blacks, Jews etc. She hates people ie. gays.Poetic Justice!!!

Local merchants welcome Small Business Saturday

With having to compete with e-commerce and national retailers during the holiday season, local merchants welcome the spotlight that comes with Small Business Saturday.