Ku Klux Klan plans rally for ASU student's rights

The Ku Klux Klan will hold a rally in support of the Augusta State University counseling student who claims her First Amendment rights were violated when the school ordered her to learn more about the homosexual community.

Bobby Spurlock, who identified himself as imperial wizard knighthawk and grand dragon of South Carolina and North Carolina, said the KKK has met with school officials and plans to protest the school's treatment of 24-year-old Jennifer Keeton on Oct. 23 from 1 to 4 p.m. Klan members will be in full dress across from the school's main Walton Way entrance in the median at Fleming Avenue.

Spurlock said the KKK believes Keeton's rights were violated when the school required her to participate in a remediation program after she objected to counseling homosexuals.

"It's your constitutional right, so how could you tell someone you have to do something completely different?" Spurlock said. "We're not out to harm her. We're trying to protest the constitutional rights that they are trying to take away from her."

Spurlock said the KKK has not been in contact with Keeton.

"She is no way whatsoever affiliated with us," he said. "She has not contacted us, but we were contacted by someone that is aware of her."

A message left on Keeton's cell phone was not returned Tuesday.

Richmond County sheriff's Lt. Scott Gay said members of the KKK met with the sheriff's office Saturday to discuss security for the protest. Gay stressed that his office's involvement is strictly neutral.

"We are not condoning it one way or another," Gay said.

Spurlock said he is affiliated with the Church of the National Knights of the KKK based in South Bend, Ind. He said the group, which boasts 100,000 members, is active in 41 states and 21 countries.

It was formed in 1960 as a response to the civil rights movement from a collection of splintered Klan groups in Southern states, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center's Web site.

Indigo
Indigo 10/05/10 - 03:10 pm
With friends like the

With friends like the klan........

jb1234
jb1234 10/05/10 - 03:11 pm
Holy Crap! This Keeton story

Holy Crap! This Keeton story has the makings of a Lifetime movie!

Emerydan
Emerydan 10/05/10 - 03:11 pm
... who needs enemies.

... who needs enemies.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 10/05/10 - 03:13 pm
I bet Ms. Keeton wasn't

I bet Ms. Keeton wasn't expecting this kind of support.

Local Interests
Local Interests 10/05/10 - 03:13 pm
Peas in a pod.

Peas in a pod.

Barry Paschal 10/05/10 - 03:17 pm
Why do I get the feeling that

Why do I get the feeling that this might be the closest "Imperial Wizard Knighthawk and Grand Dragon" Spurlock has ever gotten to a kollege?

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 10/05/10 - 03:19 pm
COUNTYMAN, where are you? I'm

COUNTYMAN, where are you? I'm not sure if Augusta wants to be the focus of this kind of media coverage. I know posters dog on you at times but tell me something positive . Only you can do it.

j2says
j2says 10/05/10 - 03:22 pm
Contacted by someone whose

Contacted by someone whose aware of her? Anyone who reads the newspaper is aware of her. This is a terrible mess. The fact that these people are allowed to parade around and make a bunch of kids uncomfortable while they try to pursue their education is a double shame.

Mwilli5009
Mwilli5009 10/05/10 - 03:23 pm
Hilarious.

Hilarious.

usafvet
usafvet 10/05/10 - 03:27 pm
It is no less and no more

It is no less and no more than it would be if the NAACP were rallying to support a black student. Difference is whites tuck their tails and run when it becomes racial.

j2says
j2says 10/05/10 - 03:36 pm
There is a big difference

There is a big difference between the Klan and the NAACP. 1. Anyone can join the NAACP, you don't have to be black. Can't say the same thing for the Klan. 2. The NAACP does not have the same history of violence and intimidation the Klan is known for. It's one thing if a a real Christian group like from a church or evangelical group came out to support her but these clowns are a totally different thing. Any reasonable person could see that.

usafvet
usafvet 10/05/10 - 03:38 pm
I would guess that all of

I would guess that all of your information is hear say. News media typically is so biased to the socialist and democrats that they could care less about the truth. When is the last time there has been proven violence by the KKK?

confederatelady319
confederatelady319 10/05/10 - 03:38 pm
She might need some help,but

She might need some help,but she doesn't need the help of these clowns,they desecrate the American,Christian and the Confederate battle flags and the Bible.They hate JEWISH people and CHRIST was born a Jewish,go figure.

usafvet
usafvet 10/05/10 - 03:39 pm
Liberals and socialists are

Liberals and socialists are saying the same things about the "tea Party". It is certainly open to anyone.

PUPPYMOMMA
PUPPYMOMMA 10/05/10 - 03:44 pm
usafvet, I'm white and I

usafvet, I'm white and I don't tuck my tail and run when it becomes racial. I didn't think this case had anything to do with race. Now it has because the hillbillies that jumped off of a mountain dew bottle are coming to town. We don't need the circus that will follow. If someone like the Rev. Billy Graham were leading a protest, it might be different. The KKK is associated with hate.

dani
dani 10/05/10 - 03:49 pm
There were KKK signs at the

There were KKK signs at the "one nation" rally Saturday. The u-tube vido shows them waving the signs. No sheets, just ordinary Democrats,

noway
noway 10/05/10 - 03:48 pm
LOL! that is funny!! all 5

LOL! that is funny!! all 5 kkk members are going to show up to campus on a Saturday! Protest the fact that keeton was treated like all students are treated - she's expected to complete her academic requirements. Impressive...most people in their right minds know that the kkk is a joke and a hate club. whatever. This shouldn't even be in the news.

Chillen
Chillen 10/05/10 - 03:48 pm
Now I've seen everything.

Now I've seen everything. But, this is America. And they are free to do what they want as long as it's legal - and this is. It probably won't help her due to PC issues, but that's her problem now isn't it?

j2says
j2says 10/05/10 - 03:49 pm
There are white people and

There are white people and non-black people in the NAACP. As well as black people and non-white people that support the Tea Party. So, what exactly is your point?

dani
dani 10/05/10 - 03:50 pm
I won't be there to see them,

I won't be there to see them, and if others decide to go, then I guess you can say they approve.

beyondbelief
beyondbelief 10/05/10 - 03:52 pm
What a fine moment for this

What a fine moment for this soon to be closed minded christian counselor.

Deployed
Deployed 10/05/10 - 03:54 pm
"Imperial Wizard Knighthawk

"Imperial Wizard Knighthawk and Grand Dragon of South Carolina and North Carolina"... Sorry, that alone cracks me up. I'd bet his business cards are expensive to get printed.

inittowinit13
inittowinit13 10/05/10 - 04:01 pm
I would be so embarrassed if

I would be so embarrassed if I were Jennifer. First your attorney is "unable to attend to almost any professional responsibilities" and now the KKK is holding a protest in your honor. I bet that's exactly the way she wants to show Jesus to the world. Nice.

Quack Quack Quack
Quack Quack Quack 10/05/10 - 04:05 pm
If nobody pays any attention

If nobody pays any attention to these idiots, I doubt they will be there for a full hour. I'm sure that Ms Keeton will not be there in their support. Pray for a cold front with icy rain!!

pointstoponder
pointstoponder 10/05/10 - 04:05 pm
If I tried, I might be able

If I tried, I might be able to think of another group whose support I would welcome less, but for now I'm stumped. Maybe Phelps and his crew.

ameliaf
ameliaf 10/05/10 - 04:10 pm
One bigot supporting another.

One bigot supporting another. Why is anyone surprised?

j2says
j2says 10/05/10 - 04:10 pm
i don't agree with her stance

i don't agree with her stance or her lawsuit but even I don't think she meant for this to happen. I feel sorry for her because this mess is going to further alienate her.

mable8
mable8 10/05/10 - 04:12 pm
well, gee, Bobby Spurlock,

well, gee, Bobby Spurlock, isn't it a bit early to celebrate halloween?? Exactly what are you protesting? Keeton's rights were never violated; furthermore, she was never told to renounce her biblical viewpoints in order to remain in the graduate program. Obviously, you do not understand that there are rules and regulations that govern every collegiate program and that for all professions there is an Ethical Standard for them to follow. Ms Keeton does not want to be involved with the Ethical Standard portion of her degreed program; in that event, she should not be allowed to remain in the program or graduate. If her sensitivities preclude acknowledging the fact that homosexuals do exist and that some do require counseling then she needs to obtain her education elsewhere--perhaps a parochial school of higher education may be more suited for her purposes. Frankly, she should drop her suit and move on; her presence at ASU is depriving a more deserving student a seat in the graduate program.

Ben There
Ben There 10/05/10 - 04:13 pm
So they plan to demonstrate

So they plan to demonstrate in the median on Fleming Avenue, in front of Augusta State? I guess they didn't research the demographics on the neighborhood at the other end of Fleming Ave. The KKK better pray for some serious police protection because they are seriously screwing up!

dickworth1
dickworth1 10/05/10 - 04:14 pm
Well, at least the klan has

Well, at least the klan has the b---- to stand up for what is someone's
rights. I am not a klan supporter, but I am a rights supporter. I do not
support the gay community and that is my right. It is too many people
that talk the talk but won't walk the walk.

Commissioners seek attorney general's opinion on SPLOST

Two Augusta commissioners are seeking an opinion from Georgia Attorney General Sam Olens on the city's disbursement of sales tax proceeds to non-profits.