Education

More News | |

Roberson will start job by touring all schools

Don't expect to see Dr. Frank Roberson in his office during his first morning on the job as Richmond County's new school superintendent.

New schools chief Dr. Frank Roberson plans to visit every county school in his first two to three weeks on the job.   Special
Special

Roberson plans to start his day with a 7:30 a.m. visit to Tubman Education Center on Bungalow Road, to be followed by visits to several other schools. He said he'll probably get to his office around 3 p.m. or so.

"My goal is to visit at least six or seven schools (on Monday)," he said, adding that he plans to visit every school in the district over the next several days. "It will probably take me two to three weeks to get into each school."

Roberson said he plans to stay 60 to 90 minutes at each school, putting into action part of the hands-on management style for which he's been touted.

After the Tubman Education Center visit, he said, he plans to drop by Glenn Hills Middle about 9 a.m., followed by a stop at Bayvale Elementary at 10:30 a.m., then Terrace Manor Elementary at 11:30 a.m., Wilkinson Gardens at 12:30 p.m. and Butler High about 1:30 p.m.

Roberson begins his job a week after signing a contract for an annual salary of $170,000.

Roberson, an Aiken County native who plans to move to Augusta, was most recently the superintendent in Marlboro County, S.C., and replaces Dana Bedden, who left the system for a superintendent job in Irving, Texas.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/23/10 - 05:24 am
Good luck, Dr. Roberson. I

Good luck, Dr. Roberson. I hope you keep the job for the next 20 years and give us some stability.

cleanup
cleanup 08/23/10 - 06:33 am
I hope he wears a

I hope he wears a bullet-proof vest when he visits Glenn Hills High School. Don't believe the Frazier hype.

WAG
WAG 08/23/10 - 07:22 am
Well zippy do. Is he gonna

Well zippy do. Is he gonna use his travel allowance. Or is a limo gonna pick him up....What a load of ----!

augustagolfer
augustagolfer 08/23/10 - 08:26 am
Where exactly is Bungalow

Where exactly is Bungalow Road Elementary School?!

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 08/23/10 - 09:44 am
"Roberson plans to start his

"Roberson plans to start his day with a 7:30 a.m. visit to Bungalow Road Elementary School", is that what we are calling the Alternative school now? We probably should since most of the students there act like they are in Pre-K! Even the high schoolers.

AugustaVoter
AugustaVoter 08/23/10 - 09:47 am
He'll be hitting Butler at

He'll be hitting Butler at just the right time for that school. That is when all heck breaks loose over there! I hope he has a security team like the Governor and the Prez have! He will need it at some of these schools.

Lorraine
Lorraine 08/23/10 - 10:08 am
Dr. Roberson is getting off

Dr. Roberson is getting off to a good start by touring the schools. Our new superintendent will face an assortment of challenges and hurdles but he has the know how and experience to tackle obstacles that will confront him.

Chillen
Chillen 08/23/10 - 10:22 am
I also wish him success.

I also wish him success. Richmond County schools need strong leadership, a firm hand and clear goals. I hope he can deliver!

lylagirl
lylagirl 08/23/10 - 08:47 pm
I am looking foward to

I am looking foward to meeting Dr. Roberson.....i am truly impressed already!!!

mrrhodes89
mrrhodes89 08/25/10 - 10:29 am
I wouldn't have announced my

I wouldn't have announced my schedule like that. I would've just started randomly showing up at schools, in plain clothes, just to test out the response time of the school administrators.