Education

More News | |

School briefly evacuated after pupil tries to set fire

Wilkinson Gardens Elementary School was temporarily evacuated Friday morning after a 7-year-old girl tried to set a fire, causing smoke in some classrooms and hallways, authorities said.

Richmond County schools spokesman Louis Svehla said that about 8:30 a.m. the pupil used a lighter in an attempt to set fire to a soap dispenser in a bathroom in between classes.

He said no fire occurred, but "it more just kind of smoked."

He said classrooms were empty for almost an hour, and parents of pupils were alerted of the incident.

Svehla said any discipline in the case most likely will be handled internally through the school.

jkhndz79
jkhndz79 08/20/10 - 01:47 pm
S-E-V-E-N ??? o_0

S-E-V-E-N ??? o_0

LP.SAV
LP.SAV 08/20/10 - 01:58 pm
What's she doing with a

What's she doing with a lighter? I have a first-grader who is perfectly behaved, but even she has tried to sneak toys to school in her bookbag. Parents should search their children for toys and other things that are not allowed at school, including weapons and dangerous and illegal things that the child might think is harmless. This is for everyone's wellbeing, including the parents who can be held responsible for injuries, destruction, and worse!

Deployed
Deployed 08/20/10 - 01:58 pm
I'm with jkhndz79, SEVEN!?!?!

I'm with jkhndz79, SEVEN!?!?! Wow. Just WOW. This kid needs some help. Quickly.

Chillen
Chillen 08/20/10 - 02:36 pm
Yep, we're gonna be reading

Yep, we're gonna be reading about this kid a lot in years to come.

sassygirl352
sassygirl352 08/20/10 - 03:16 pm
OMG. WHAT IS THE PEOPLE IN

OMG. WHAT IS THE PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD COMING TO....I HOPE HER PARENTS TEAR HER LIITLE TAIL UP. THEN SHE WILL THINK TWICE ABOUT THE NEXT TIME SHE DECIDES TO DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/20/10 - 03:25 pm
I'm sorry you guys are so

I'm sorry you guys are so scandalized by this kid's action. I'm actually sorry it made it into the paper at all. It's just not weird for young kids, given the chance, to play with fire. It's not even pathological for a kid this age. Fire is fascinating and curious kids try stuff they shouldn't do all. the. time. It's why we have parents.

I really hope this little girl's life isn't ruined by this incident. Chances are, if the school personnel and her parents don't get hysterical and completely over-react, and she gets disciplined appropriately and intelligently, she'll never do anything like it again.

I was fascinated by fire at her age. I would sneak my father's matches, and once almost burned down the mayor's house next door to us trying to build a tiny little fire of twigs under his dining room. Needless to say, the parental units were slightly panicked, and I spent two solid weeks of that memorable summer sitting in my room with nothing but my books, except when I was over next door sweeping and scrubbing and eating homemade cookies.

Some children who are holy terrors grow up to be very good adults, if they have balanced, mature adults in their lives.

iLove
iLove 08/20/10 - 03:46 pm
My ? is why report this? Is

My ? is why report this? Is it because of the school???

stillamazed
stillamazed 08/20/10 - 03:53 pm
Maybe she wanted attention,

Maybe she wanted attention, who knows about kids now a days but kids do play with lighters, and matches, my cousin set a bed on fire playing with matches when he was 5. This certainly does not mean that this child will grow up to be a criminal, some of you are way to cynical. It must be nice for those of you who judge so harshly, no telling what your kids have done that you know nothing about...

airbud7
airbud7 08/20/10 - 04:07 pm
Fiat_Lux/ so true, every kid

Fiat_Lux/ so true, every kid plays with fire at least once, I set the woods on fire when I was about 7 or 8 and I got my butt tore up! MAN IT STILL STINGS 35 years later

dani
dani 08/20/10 - 04:24 pm
IMHO this is not normal

IMHO this is not normal behavior. Please get medical attention for her.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 08/20/10 - 04:47 pm
Calls your judgment into

Calls your judgment into question, Dani, based on the information given out about this.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/20/10 - 05:40 pm
Seems possible that the

Seems possible that the school officials may have over reacted just a little. May have served to scare her to death or encouraged her to participate in more pranks. Children are constantly presenting us with opportunities for teachable moments. I have found in raising mine, discipline has far greater rewards than punishment. When she was young, she was very curious and fascinated regarding fire; now she's almost grown and still no arsonist. I don't think beating her would have solved the problem.

Junket831
Junket831 08/20/10 - 06:11 pm
The discipline should be

The discipline should be handed out to the parent(s) for the child's behavior. Kids will be curious and tempted to test the waters. Strong parental involvement mitigates the opportunity to cause harm to self or others. Luckily it seems nobody was hurt. But fire could have caused significant injury, damage or worse.

lylagirl
lylagirl 08/20/10 - 07:49 pm
Okay...who is really in

Okay...who is really in charge of dicipline at these schools...your new super should look into that..alot of illegal stuff going on.....check it out

JustMe
JustMe 08/21/10 - 10:37 am
This is sooo funny ya'll.

This is sooo funny ya'll. Complaining why was this even in the paper??? If it wasn't you would be ranting that the school was hiding something lol