Education

More News | |

ASU student says gays have 'identity confusion'

Woman says allegations of conversion therapy are false

A student who is suing Augusta State University says she considers gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender lifestyles as "identity confusion," and shared those views in class discussions and written assignments.

Back | Next
Augusta State University graduate student Jennifer Keeton has filed a lawsuit against the university that names assistant professors Paulette Schenck and Mary Jane Anderson-Wiley.   Special
Special

Jennifer Keeton, a 24-year-old graduate student, said in an e-mail Friday that she had told Paulette Schenck, an ASU assistant professor named as a defendant in the suit, that homosexuality is a behavioral choice. However, Keeton said allegations by college officials that she would encourage conversion therapy on students or her clients is false.

ASU and state Board of Regents officials said Friday they couldn't talk about the lawsuit, which claims ASU professors demanded Keeton suppress her views on homosexuals to remain in a counseling program.

School spokeswoman Kathy Schofe said the university has not been served with the legal paperwork but officials are aware that Keeton is suing the university.

John Millsaps, a Regents spokesman, said the lawsuit has muzzled both the university and state officials.

Schofe said much the same, but added: "Hopefully, I'll be able to comment soon, because we're being slammed."

She said commenting on Keeton's academic standing would violate the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act. She also said university faculty do not discriminate in regards to religious or moral beliefs.

The counselor education program is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Education Programs, and more than 250 students have graduated from the program, Schofe said.

The counseling program follows the American School Counselor Association's ethical standards, which specify that counselors in training must "recognize and accept" individual differences, cultural diversity and alternative points of view.

In her suit, Keeton, who wants to become a school counselor, claims Mary Jane Anderson-Wiley, an ASU associate professor, requested that Keeton take part in a remediation plan because of her beliefs about gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender issues.

Keeton was ordered to take part in diversity training and write two-page reflection papers monthly on how "her study has influenced her beliefs," according to court documents. The lawsuit claims that Keeton will be removed from the ASU counseling program if she does not comply with the plan.

The Alliance Defense Fund, a legal alliance that supports religious freedom, filed the suit for Keeton in U.S. District Court in Augusta on Wednesday. The agency has declined to allow Keeton to be interviewed, but she has responded to submitted e-mail questions.

Elizabeth Evans, of Louisville, said she had a similar experience when she began the counselor education program at ASU in 1995. After taking three courses, Evans said she was interviewed by a panel of professors who questioned her religious beliefs.

"I told them I think homosexuality is wrong. The Bible speaks against it," she said. "I was not admitted to the program, because of my beliefs. When I read the article, my heart hurt for Jennifer."

Evans said she decided to pursue a master's degree in early childhood education at the university. She is currently pursuing a doctorate degree.

Though she found her calling, she said Christian students at the university should not be treated as Keeton has.

"I can't believe they suggested that she go to the gay pride parade," Evans said. "I hope she sues the pants off of them."

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 07/28/10 - 09:47 am
I really look forward to

I really look forward to seeing how this suit plays out. Of course this a pattern of liberal schools all across our land to raise up educated liberals and to have no tolerance for those who disagree. It is a good thing that there are Christian schools to attend and get the same degrees and I wonder if she should have attended one of those instead but either way ASU can't say they are open minded when they force others to change their beliefs in order to get a degree.

It is my opinion and I base it on scripture that homosexuality is a perversion and a major identity crisis within a individual that needs to be treated. It is also my opinion that our laws should prosecute people for sodomy (the acting out of homosexual behavior) and that same sex marriages should never be allowed.

Homosexuals need help and love but not encouragement to continue their behavior which erodes the morals of our society.

hellome
hellome 07/28/10 - 09:53 am
I think you all should read

I think you all should read these two articles and more if you like. Then really think about your position with an open mind.

jiclemens
jiclemens 07/28/10 - 09:53 am
scoop:"It is also my opinion

scoop:"It is also my opinion that our laws should prosecute people for sodomy (the acting out of homosexual behavior) and that same sex marriages should never be allowed."

Thank God progressive Christians also attend those Christian schools. You are entitled to your opinions, but if you want a Theocracy, move to the Middle East. Homosexuals don't need or want your kind of hate couched as "love."

baronvonreich
baronvonreich 07/28/10 - 10:02 am
scoop - there are plenty of

scoop - there are plenty of heterosexual people like myself who engage in sodomy from time to time. Sodomy has nothing to do with homosexuality. While some of the backwards and religously oppressed states may still have sodomy laws on their books, the SCOTUS has struck down their constitutionality.

And per this woman's lawsuit, she did not attend a Christian school because it was 3 times more expensive. She hypocritically wants the non-Christians money but not their standards and guidelines. Smell that hypocrisy yet? It's wretched.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 07/28/10 - 10:09 am
I understand that jiclemens;

I understand that jiclemens; and you are right it is just my opinion. But if I am right about the God that is revealed in the Bible who destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah because of sodomy; And if I am right about believing Jesus when He said that he would come again and set up His rule for 1000 years with the capital being in Jerusalem then a theocracy is what we willl have and we will all be much better off because democracy is just man's best attempt to rule himself apart from God.

For the last time jiclemens: you are dead wrong about "hate" and you know it. It is a false premise that you and others use because you don't want to deal with the reality that we and I speak for God at this very moment do not condone or approve of homosexuality!

quarksandsoul76
quarksandsoul76 07/28/10 - 10:14 am
I would LOVE to see the ideal

I would LOVE to see the ideal Christian "Utopia" where it is left to the masses to stone people in the streets for premarital sex or adultery, breaking Sabbath, disobeying parents, for women who are not virgins on their wedding night, worshipping other gods, blah blah blah...there would be no one left to throw stones...including all the holiest and most devout Christians.

Dixieman
Dixieman 07/28/10 - 10:15 am
First graffiti posting on

First graffiti posting on men's room stall: "My mother made me a homosexual"
A few days later, below that was added: "If I buy her the wool, would she make me one too?"

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 07/28/10 - 10:20 am
Dixieman, you come up with

Dixieman, you come up with the funniest stuff. I always enjoy your posts. Thanks for always giving me a smile!

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 07/28/10 - 10:54 am
We all have opinions,

We all have opinions, misbeliefs and distorted views of reality. But none of it changes reality. Reality is unchangable, because God is reality, and He is unchangable. I am learning through my experiences and teaching my children, that God's commandments are for our protection. Just as civil laws and natural laws protect us, so do spiritual laws. God is not a fun sucker. He loves us, He is Our Father.

puppydog
puppydog 07/28/10 - 11:57 am
From the sounds of it thus

From the sounds of it thus far, it appears as though Ms. Keeton is so set in her ways and beliefs that she could not objectively deal with a patient in her care whose sexual orientation and beliefs are contrary to hers. Does not sound like she is a good candidate to be a counselor. A counselor has to be objective, compassionate & not have an agenda & not make their patient/client feel inferior and that who they are is un-Christian or wrong if they happen to hold a different sexual pursuasion or religious views from Ms. Keeton. I am on ASU's side on this one. And I am straight, BTW, but it is not up to me or a psychologist to preach morals or sexual pursuasion. Don't cave in, ASU. Sounds like just someone with an agenda looking for a big payout.

hellome
hellome 07/28/10 - 12:04 pm
quarksandsoul76 here is what

quarksandsoul76 here is what the world of tomorrow or the "christian utopia" as you call it will be like please read this for it may open your mind to what is really about to happen to all of us.

Aura68
Aura68 07/28/10 - 12:26 pm
ICL.... "Who's

ICL....
"Who's whinning...sure sounds like it's coming from your post not mine. Just because there are more Christians in this country than non-believers, then somehow all the laws you disagree with are some how the fault of Christians...."

ICL there may be a majority of Christians in this country but that in no way reflects the views of the world - which is a very big place. I will speak in simple terms because that seems to work best with people like you. Christians like you are the reason that people like me (that were raised in the church) are turning against Christianity. Your narrow minded views that you are right simply based on the word of a book that was written by man and interperted by man is nauseating to say the least. And why is it right, by your own words in an earlier post because, "said book says so".
Back to your statement I quoted. Christianity makes up 33% of the world population. What makes you and your fellow Christians so certain you are correct?? Why are you so certain the other 67% of the world poplulation must be wrong??
Once again I'll answer for you "because Christ said so".... and how did he say so - that's right - back to that book again...

hellome
hellome 07/28/10 - 01:00 pm
The christianity of today you

The christianity of today you are referring to made of of many denominations and divided by different church doctrine is not true christianity that Christ began when he was hear on this earth. It says in the bible “Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand” (Matt. 12:25). True christians believe in one God as a family with God the father as the head and "The Word" or Jesus Christ as his first begotten Son of many to come. These divided sects of so called christianity believe there ways are right, but are they really following in the footsteps of what Christ taught during his earthly ministry?

Read this article and it will help to inform you and clear up some deception that blinds us all today.

hellome
hellome 07/28/10 - 01:01 pm
hellome
hellome 07/28/10 - 01:08 pm
Aura68 read this and then

Aura68 read this and then tell me what you think of the bible

Aura68
Aura68 07/28/10 - 02:36 pm
hellome.... "Aura68 read this

hellome....
"Aura68 read this and then tell me what you think of the bible

You do realize this article is promoting a book this gentleman wrote that he wants to sell for profit :-) All kidding aside, I read through most of this article. It doesn't prove anything.

I spent the first half of my life in church and the second half thinking for myself. My opinion is as follows: A higher power than us exist on this earth, certain events that traspired in the bible did happen as proven by archeologist and scientist, and the bible is a good guideline on how we need to live our life. But in no way do I believe it is the undisputable word of God.

The article you asked me to read speaks of the certainty with which the bible was written and actual events that traspired along with prophecies that have come true. You can interpert anything and make it mean just about anything.

I can go pick up a historical romance novel written in the times of kings, queens, and castles and the author will have referenced things that actually happened in history - does that make the whole book factual??

I can write my reply to you with all confidence with no uncertainity in what I write, but does that mean it's true??

People predicticed that Wall Street was headed for a crash years ago and it happened - does that make those people God?

You can make the bible mean anything you want and you can interpret the teachings of the bible to mean anything you want - and it still doesn't make it the undisbutable word of God, unless that is what you choose to believe. I choose to believe differently....

hellome
hellome 07/28/10 - 03:29 pm
aura, these books are given

aura, these books are given away for free

hellome
hellome 07/28/10 - 03:41 pm
Aura, I would hope that you

Aura,

I would hope that you keep reading if you actually read the one before and then maybe God will show you the Way.

Aura68
Aura68 07/28/10 - 03:50 pm
My apologizes hellome, but

My apologizes hellome, but very little is free in this world. Mr. Armstrong may have offered that pamplet for free but quite a few publications he wrote were for sale and still are. Mr. Armstrong also predicited along with his teachings that Christ would return in his lifetime. As I'm sure you know, Mr. Armstrong died in 1986.
My opinion remains the same...as I'm sure yours does as well. And that is our right - joy - oh joy the AC has put up another article on this girl. Everyone is jumping ship and heading to that article...

Marlene
Marlene 07/29/10 - 06:03 am
Scoop -- According to the

Scoop -- According to the bible and ALL of the cross references to the destruction, do you know what "sodomy" really is?

It's the lack of hospitality to strangers, NOT men having consentual sex with other men!

When the mob went to Lot's house, they wanted to rape the visitors! That's not consentual sex!

Daniel Field removes trees, lights structures in airspace

Daniel Field, managed by operations company Augusta Aviation, has spent more than $30,000 conducting land surveys, removing 30 trees and installing red blinking lights on top of the Newman Tennis ...